Home » Community » Message Boards » Skin Central » Dry hand woes!

Discussion

Dry hand woes!

hey all,

I was wondering does anyone have any advice on how to care for dry hands? Any home remedies or tips? this weather is just awful, cos I am in the warm office then out to the cold wind!

Also, while on this subject, the skin around the bottom of my nails are quite red sometimes...any ideas why or how to reduce the redness? Maybe it is dry too?

Any advice at all would be great!

Thanks in advance! :)

Subscribe
Notifiy me with emails too

8 Replies

JeanC7
insider
2 years, 2 months ago
Re: Dry hand woes!

O Keefe Healthy Hands is a great product!  You can buy on amazon or Bed Bath and Beyond.  Actually O Keefe Healthy Feet is a similar formula that can also be used on the hands.

volta
elite
2 years, 2 months ago

I like to mix a couple drops of Argan oil with an intensive skin cream (I deal with eczema). First Aid Beauty has an awesome intensive skin relief cream that kind of smells a little medicine-y, but that goes away after a couple minutes. Thicker creams tend to work a little better for my skin than lotions--but mixing Argan oil is a real softening treat for my skin. 

RaraGiggles89
insider
2 years, 2 months ago

brialliant, thanks for the advice. Argan oil seems like a good oil to have about, it can be used for lots of stuff?

ladyboarder9669
elite
2 years, 2 months ago
Hand woes:

I exfolliate them once or twice a week then I use a moisturizer every time they get wet, and I apply right away. this makes the biggest difference for me! 

JanSAN217
2 years, 2 months ago
Dry hand woes

If you have dry hands, you'll love this trick. Take any kind of oil you like (I've used cooking oil but have some argon oil on the way).  Start with a nickle size spot of oil(you can add more),  than add 1 teaspoon of sugar. Now just rub all over your hands. This will exfoliate your hands and leave them feeling soft. It's inexpensive and easy to do. Then apply the hand cream of your choice.

susaneh62
insider
2 years, 2 months ago
Been There

hand cream.jpgI used to be a hairstylist and began to get dry hands then from all the shampooing, never had them before.  Some nurses that I did swore by Neutrogena hand cream.  (It comes in a small box for around $4, I think.)  It was a lifesaver, not glamorous, but effective.

Years after no longer doing hair I lived in Salt Lake City for a while and the air there is exceptionally dry.  I had good luck with Curel.  I agree with the previous poster who said to put hand cream on every time after washing your hands.  I keep hand cream on my desk at work and by the bathroom and kitchen sinks.\

I have found, and so has my Aunt, that always using liquid hand soap, especially a really concentrated one will also dry my hands out.  If you can stand bar soap, I use it at the bathroom sink and use Olay soap with shea butter, I don't expect guests to use it so it's not in the guest bathroom -  yuck!!   There's  no question it doesn't dry them out as much.  I've also put 1/2 liquid soap and 1/2 water in with the soap dispenser.  Watering it down a bit makes it less harsh too & I still get suds.

Look for something that has glycerine close up to the top of the list of ingredients.  Every effective hand cream I've ever used has it in it up towards the top.  Watch out for creams with lanolin, it is often an irritant.

RaraGiggles89
insider
2 years, 2 months ago

brilliant tips ladies, thanks so much! I am going to take note of all these and try them out!

Supernaturalfan
insider
2 years, 2 months ago

Susan is right about Neutrogena's Hand Cream, Norwegian formula.  It is not greasy and absorbs fast!

I know they say washing your hands frequently is the most effective way to reduce the chances of getting a cold or flu.  But all that washing dries your skin too...a Catch 22!  So, I'm always putting on the cream again since it washes away.

If you are in a warm environment at home, a humidifier can help.  Heat is drying to the air and skin, so keeping the moisture level comfortable (40% usually) will keep your skin more comfortable too.  I know for me personally, my skin feels tight when the humidity is very low.  It happens a lot here, being in California where it's hot & dry almost daily.

Welcome to TotalBeauty.com!
Ready to unleash your inner beauty junkie? Enter your email and check the boxes below to get free samples, exclusive deals, discounts at Total Beauty Shops, and expert beauty tips delivered straight to your inbox!
Email to a friend