Home » Community » Message Boards » Total Beauty Member Central » Does packaging matters?

Discussion

Does packaging matters?

Ok so the other I was going over some products online and I was actually thought that they could be a little better with their packaging it was just not looking good 

Well I guess I wouldnt really buy a product if it didnt look good but what if the product IS really good?

Do you agree on this Does packaging affect your purchases ?

Subscribe
Notifiy me with emails too

11 Replies

volta
elite
2 years, 2 months ago
Re: Does packaging matters?

You're talking about the aesthetic part of the packaging, right? I don't think that affects me. I do know some people who won't buy certain products because it doesn't have the casing of familiar luxury products (like Mac, etc)--they won't buy drug store items because they're obvious that they came from a drug store. I don't agree with that because there are some AWESOME drug store products that can sometime exceed the quality of luxury brands.

I'm not saying that applies to you, but the design of the packaging isn't really going to affect my decision in buying it, unless it's big and bulky and I would need that product solely for the purpose of travel, etc. 

Quality of the packaging is what I'm more concerned for. If the packaging is likely to fall apart easily, many times that says a lot of the product itself. Sometimes, although rarely, there are really good products that unfortunately have terrible packaging--either a terrible design or terrible quality. It does affect me in my decision of whether or not I might buy the product again. If the product has terrible packaging and falls apart--exposing the product to outside contamination--or even if you wrap it after every use and it lacks the protecting barrier if something were to fall on it and ruin the product for example--those are just some of the things I think about when I think of packaging--not whether or not it looks pretty. :)

Maggie_MM
insider
2 years, 2 months ago

My biggest pet peeve in packaging are pumps that can't be removed. When the bottle's almost empty I know that there's still a good amount of product left in the bottom that I can't dig out!

Other than that, I feel like the aesthetic quality is usually at least close to the product quality, so yes it affects my purchase choices. Like lip smackers. I can't imagine pulling one out of my bag in a professional setting, but I also can't imagine putting that on my lips! I think the fun wears off when you hit the double digits... like 10.

Other than age appropriate packaging, overly bulky containers and bottles can be annoying, but won't stop me from making a purchase. Comparing the size of 1oz jars of cream and 1oz bottles of fragrances is pretty revealing.

Shawnalaa
insider
2 years, 2 months ago

I don't know how prevalent Dollar Trees are but they are a store where everything is a dollar. They have odd brands made specifically for the store but, they also have a bunch of great name brand stuff. A lot of the time they will get random batches of name brand beauty products (I have seen awesome brands like Almay, St Ives, Sally Hansen, The Healing Garden, Cover Girl, Maybelline- I could go on and on!) because either that particular color has been discontinued or there was some sort of snag in the packaging. When they receive products from  LOreal, Cover Girl and few other companies I noticed that they repackage their products into this completely plain packaging that doesn't say "LOreal" (or whatever brand it may be) on it at all. It only says the name of the product for the instance LOreal So-Lo Lower Lash Mascara I purchased there the other day. The package said "So-Lo Lower Lash Mascara" and that was seriously all it said! I only new that it was made by LOreal by looking at the Mascara tube inside the package! It had no directions or tip or any other helpful information on the package at all. I guess their thinking is that they don't want to advertise the fact that they are selling their products at the Dollar Tree, but really? Leaving us completely clueless as to the functionality of the product doesn't help us in the least! So- that is my only problem with plain packaging. I do have one more comment though- If a company has a really outdated look for their packaging, and it hasn't seemed change much since the 50's, then yeah I'm completely turned off and probably wont look very much further into the product.

jslate304
insider
2 years, 2 months ago
Packaging

I agree with Shawnalaa about the packaging. I peruse Dollar Tree's and other close out stores around where we live for items like she mentioned. It drives me nuts when they remove the directions and all and repackage it, but its a great deal! Its the same item same quality, just a tarnished package with a jewel of a deal inside!!! Now there has been some makeup items I have refused to buy more of in the past because it was impossible to get it out of its package without breaking or busting the lid of the product inside. So there has been time when packaging has affcted my purchase of an item, but normally not an asthetic reason.

jenjones23
2 years, 2 months ago
yes

Yes it matters!

salon cincinnati

jenlyman
2 years, 2 months ago
It does for me

I believe that the packaging initially speaks to the quality that is inside.  Of course if I found a large number of online reviews stating that the product was fantastic but the packaging was horrible, I would try it.  That usually doesn't happen though.

TheLacqueredLady
elite
2 years, 2 months ago
Yes, to a certain extent

I can be a sucker for good packaging if it is my first try at a product AND the price is affordable. To me, it just signals good brand managemet. Howevever, if I have tried a product and don't really care for it or am just "meh" about it, I won't buy it just for the packaging. What is more important to me, but is included under the packaging label, is the ergonomics of a product. Is the handle easy to use? Does the cap fit well? These things have deterred me from purchasing a product even if the contents of the product are good and a fair value.

LittleBunny
elite
2 years, 2 months ago

Somewhat. It really depends on the product...if the issue is one that will make the product harder to use or messy, then I might not make the purchase. However, if it's only a matter of aesthetics but I know I like what is inside the package, it will probably not make a difference to me. 

powerwoman033
elite
2 years ago

I have found through sampling tons of products that the packaging is usually of equal quality with what is inside.  I do not necessarily make my purchases by the packaging itself or because of a name (unless it is a specific brand I am looking for).  Some of the new delivery methods leave a lot to be desired but that is more about the product inside than the packaging.  I definitely don't make a purchase based solely on the outside.  I usually won't make a purchase unless I've already done research and know what I am buying is worth paying for in the first place.  I hate wasting beauty products!!

toddfan
allstar
2 years ago
Packaging

Initially it draws the eye to a product. Does that mean it's better? Not in my opinion. Most products that I use are natural. Earth friendly. They may not be what catches my eye initially,but, you use what's inside.And don't pay extra.

Welcome to TotalBeauty.com!
Ready to unleash your inner beauty junkie? Enter your email and check the boxes below to get free samples, exclusive deals, discounts at Total Beauty Shops, and expert beauty tips delivered straight to your inbox!
Email to a friend