Home » Community » Message Boards » Ask an Expert » How often do you wash your cosmetic brushes and how?

Discussion

How often do you wash your cosmetic brushes and how?

I have never washed my cosmetic brushes before, but today when I looked at them, I thought since I am smearing it onto my face, I should wash them or rinse them with something every now and then? Is there any special way to wash them? I dont want to ruin them since I spent an arm and a leg on most of them!
thank you

Subscribe
Notifiy me with emails too

16 Replies

msbrown822
allstar
2 years, 2 months ago
Re: How often do you wash your cosmetic brushes and how?

I attempt to wash mine once a week but sometime that doesn't always happen. (shame on me)

I have the Sephora Anti-bacterial brush cleaner and I also have one from Bare Minerals. You can also use baby shampoo (because its gentle.) wash them in warm water and lay them flat to dry.

Some of them, like my foundation brush or the one I use for my concealer, I usually rinse them off after each use.  but to avoid washing them TOO much and risk destorying them, I'll apply the foundation and concealer with my fingers. - I can wash my hands as much as I want :)

R_rosebud
2 years, 2 months ago
Once a week, as a rule

I clean the daily ones once a week.  Some I clean ASAP if used with liquid eyeliner, cream shadow, gel liner, etc.  I use ivory liquid soap, shape them and let them air dry.

dol_e_deaad
2 years ago
Clean them!

I'm lazy when it comes to that, but I either use baby shampoo or Bare Escentuals brush cleaner.  Be sure to let them dry completely before using them again.

cfaragalla54
insider
1 year, 12 months ago
cleaning

ur supposed to clean them after every use but we all know its impossible lol :) so i clean mine every week or so on a day where i wont be using makeup.

i use olive oil first to get the makeup off the brushes like the lip and eyeliner brushes. then i rinse them with baby shampoo and then i leave them out to dry in a cup.

hope that helps :)

ooh btw there is also brush cleaners sold at elf and MAC i think. i would just spray the brushes with them after every use if its possible

Cheryl5752
allstar
1 year, 11 months ago
Washing Cosmetic Brushes Is A Must!

Washing your cosmetic brushes is as important as replacing your toothbrush on a regular basis or microwaving your kitchen sponge to keep it clean. The bacteria on the brushes can be greater than that of your toilet seat (I heard that on Discovery!). Kudos to those of you who say you wash them after every use or wipe them with a cleanser. I keep two of every brush I have and wash one set once per week. (That way, if you have to use the brushes again during the day and the washed ones aren't dry yet, you won't be in trouble...). I use Bare Minerals, "Well-Cared For Brush Conditioning Shampoo." Cleaning the brushes also prolongs the life of your brushes.

darkangel81
allstar
1 year, 11 months ago
Re: How often do you wash your cosmetic brushes and how?

I usually wash mine in baby shampoo.  If I run out of that, I use an anti-bacterial hand soap and it seems to get them squeaky clean.

I recently bought Brush Guard and going to try them out the next time I set my brushes to dry.

I'll let you know how that turns out.

Welcome to TotalBeauty.com!
Ready to unleash your inner beauty junkie? Enter your email and check the boxes below to get free samples, exclusive deals, discounts at Total Beauty Shops, and expert beauty tips delivered straight to your inbox!
Email to a friend