Home » Community » Message Boards » Ask an Expert » How often do you wash your cosmetic brushes and how?

Discussion

How often do you wash your cosmetic brushes and how?

I have never washed my cosmetic brushes before, but today when I looked at them, I thought since I am smearing it onto my face, I should wash them or rinse them with something every now and then? Is there any special way to wash them? I dont want to ruin them since I spent an arm and a leg on most of them!
thank you

Subscribe
Notifiy me with emails too

16 Replies

tiffany_gallehugh
allstar
2 years, 2 months ago
Washing my brushes is a must.

I wash them every couple of days. And once a week I do washing with dish soap for a through cleaning.

volta
elite
2 years, 2 months ago
Re: How often do you wash your cosmetic brushes and how?

I like to spray a little bit of the Sephora Anti-Bacterial Daily Brush Cleaner into a tissue and wipe everything I've used when I'm finished. Then, once a week I'll shampoo them with a brush shampoo.

MaryTB
COMMUNITY MANAGER
2 years, 2 months ago
RE: Washing Makeup Brushes

Washing makeup brushes is a good way to avoid harmful bacteria and keep your skin in top shape. There are also some other things you can do to perfect your beauty routine before you apply makeup. First, make sure you're using the right makeup tools. Then, make sure you're using one the of the best facial cleansers to keep your skin free and clear of bacteria and build up.

Hope that helps!

CaroleVonAllten
elite
2 years, 2 months ago
Washing cosmetic brushes

I wash them every other day with the facial cleanser I use, Philosophy Purity. I am always careful to rinse thoroughly and reshape while wet.

CaroleVonAllten
elite
2 years, 2 months ago
Washing makeup brushes

Your question also raised other sanitary questions. I sharpen all beauty pencils every time before use, and clean the sharpener once a week with Philosophy Purity.

Miss_Vicki
allstar
2 years, 2 months ago

I admit I don't wash mine as often as I should. I try to wash them at least once a week. I use a baby shampoo.

RaraGiggles89
insider
2 years, 2 months ago

Thank you for asking this question! The exact same thing was on my mind the other day! I definitely don't wash mine brushes and tools enough (hanging head in shame here!) Great advice as always :)

lynn2u54022
insider
2 years, 2 months ago
washing make up brushes

I clean mine once a week with baby shampoo and lay them flat to dry.

TheLacqueredLady
elite
2 years, 2 months ago
Not as often as I should

I really only wash mine once a month, though I know I should do it more often. A bit of baby shampoo works well, but I also use the bareMinerals brush wash which I received as part of a kit. Sometimes in a pinch I also just a conditioning antibacterial hand soap. Just be sure to be really gentle on the bristles when you wash them.

volta
elite
2 years, 2 months ago

Avoid submerging brushes in water too often because the more the ferrule is exposed to water (the metal part that holds the bristles and handle together), the more likely that the glue inside is at risk to unbind and the brush falls apart. 

Welcome to TotalBeauty.com!
Ready to unleash your inner beauty junkie? Enter your email and check the boxes below to get free samples, exclusive deals, discounts at Total Beauty Shops, and expert beauty tips delivered straight to your inbox!
Email to a friend