Home » Community » Message Boards » Hair Help » Budget Hair Products - do they work as well?

Discussion

Budget Hair Products - do they work as well?

Recently I read our article on the best drugstore hair products and I started to wonder... do they REALLY work as well as salon hair care products do? Personally, I've tried a million things but I always come back to John Frieda's drugstore line for one simple reason - it works the best on my hair.

Drugstore vs. salon... what's your pick? Or do you think factors like genes and hair styling techniques make it different for everyone?

Subscribe
Notifiy me with emails too

11 Replies

bayoukris
insider
2 years, 3 months ago
Drug store hair products

For me it just depends. I have used expansive salon shampoo that was awful and also dollar shampoo that worked great. I have thick, coarse, wavy hair that is really hard to deal with so once I find a shampoo and conditioner that I like I stick to it for awhile

LittleBunny
elite
2 years, 3 months ago
Re: Budget Hair Products - do they work as well?

I think Tresemme is a surprisingly good drugstore brand!

Kokome
insider
2 years, 3 months ago

It depends on the person, and the product, and what they're using it for. Almost all of my staples are drugstore brands, especially Pantene and Neutrogena Triple Moisture. But I've also had some bad experiences with some brands, like Tresemme's anti-breakage shampoo which was just too harsh on my hair. But at the same time, my hair loved the Tresemme conditioner. So it all just depends. I say if it works for you, there's absolutely no reason to spend more than necessary.

bikergal
2 years, 2 months ago
Budget hair products

I love the Pantene shampoo and conditioner.  I live in the desert and need a super hydrating shampoo and conditioner.  The climate is extremely dry out here both in winter and summer so I need hydrating products for my skin and hair.  I've used Pantene for a long time and have recently thought of trying something different just for a change.  I tried Ojon hydrating conditioner just yesterday for the first time.  Maybe I didn't use enough but so far it's not quite as good as the Pantene conditioner.  When my hair gets hydrated enough, it will curl.  The Pantene shampoo and conditioners don't make my hair curl but it makes my hair very soft and silky.  The Ojon "brown stuff" hydrates my hair so well that it curls.  I may need to use the Ojon shampoo and conditioner to get a better hydrating result.  Anyone using Ojon hair products?

ladyboarder9669
elite
2 years, 2 months ago
On some things I'm sure

I bought a Mason Pearson brush and an Amika curling iron, and they are two of the best investments I've made in hair care. I highly reccomend both! I think a lot of styling products are just as good when bought at the drug store, although I stick to salon shampoo and conditioner- especially joico or fekkai. 

brandyc89
2 years ago
the truth budget vs. salon

As a person who always went to the drug store for my hair care products and a recent cosmetology graduate i see both sides... the truth is there is a difference.. most budget brands are super diluted with water making them more afforeable salon products are more concentrated so u need less shampoo to get the same amount of lather!!  although the budget brands make hair nice and soft and make us think its repaired our damaged locks they are tricking us let me use a shampoo i used before i started school Pantene all this does is leave a waxy film over the hair cuticle coating it over and over and over with each use...making us think hey it really made my damaged hair nice it didnt all i did was leave waxy build up that will eventually weigh your hair down giving limp lifeless hair professional products are formulated to restore hair from the inside or the cortex where most of your hairs strenghth comes from they have natural ingredients that have a purpose.. budget they smell amazing but the scent in these is bad its all perfume which we all know contains alcohol which in turn dries our your scalp and hair.. professional products use more plant extracts and less perfumes to get a good smelling product for example wella color protect shampoo has the most amazing smell but that is because it contains orchid extract.. some budget products have a high pH making them alkaline which is bad and causes damage.. Profesional products are closer to hairs pH but deffinatly not as alkaline... if you pay lots of money to color your hair budget products are your enemy!!!!! They strip that beautiful color like nobodys business even those that claim to be color protecting lies!! like i mentioned before budget shampoos tend to be more on the alkaline side which opens up your cuticle and lets the color just slip out... professional products do help with color retention as most are more acid balanced and gentle on your hair... and they even contain ingredients to help protect your color from the environment too... professional products can be pricey and that is their biggest downfall but wella is resonably priced and last a long time and their their styling products products do more thing for example one product maybe a leave- in conditioner thermal protectant detangler anti frizz and adds shine so you have one product that does all these things instead of buying multiple that do one each..

TeresaDouglas
2 years ago

I love Mason Pearson brushes - my mother always had them when I was growing up. As far as hair care products, I buy them at the drugstore. The Aussie line works great for my hair and the price is reasonable. I once tried a super-cheap shampoo/conditioner, but they were of very poor quality.

Nicole1021
allstar
2 years ago

My hair is very thick and can be on the dry side and I find Tresemme for dry hair works well on me. Also the Dove shampoo and conditioner are decent.  Joico I don't like. Biosilk shampoo/conditioner are horrible, and biolage to me is so-so.  Salon products don't make much difference to me.

kendallmalloy
insider
2 years ago
I tBudget Hair Products

I think heredity and health are main factors.  I can use some L'Oreal hair products on my hair.

I was diagnosed with a fairly severe blood disorder not too long ago.  It affected my hair, nails and

skin.  I'm still using some L'oreal hair products--however, I've discovered a few hair items from

Paul Mitchell (great line) are helping a lot.  Ulta carries the line.

Kendall Malloy

Chicago, IL

toddfan
allstar
1 year, 10 months ago
Budget Products

Tresemme is very affordable and works well.

Welcome to TotalBeauty.com!
Ready to unleash your inner beauty junkie? Enter your email and check the boxes below to get free samples, exclusive deals, discounts at Total Beauty Shops, and expert beauty tips delivered straight to your inbox!
Email to a friend