Home » Community » Message Boards » Ask an Expert » combination skin

Discussion

combination skin

Hello,

I have combination skin and acne prone skin I am wondering what products I should use to get rid of it all. As it is the new year this is one of my resolutions. Also what other products would be good to use on my combination/acne prone skin like mousterisers, oils, ect. 

Thank you.

Subscribe
Notifiy me with emails too

3 Replies

volta
elite
2 years, 3 months ago
Re: combination skin

First off, what kind of skin care and cosmetic products do you use? Analyze the ingredients because you never know if those products might be further contributing to your breakouts. 

For a moisturizer, I like Bare Minerals Purely Nourishing Moisturizer for Combination skin. It's light-weight and it hydrates where it needs to. Plus, it doesn't contain a lot of ingrediants that often irritate acne-prone or sensitive skin. Go to a Sephora and ask for a sample to try to see if it's right for you. That's both the beauty and the burden of skincare; although there are countles options to find the right products for you, a lot of the time it is frustrating and can take a long time to finally find the right product.

Another possibility is if you would ever consider investing in purchasing a clarisonic? I love that device more than anything in my skin care regimen because it works. You use it with your cleanser for a minute and it makes your cleaser up to 6x more effective in cleansing and removing makeup--but as well as with any treatments/creams/serums you use afterwards will penetrate up to 60% deeper in your pores so you'll notice a significant improvement in how well your products work. 

Another tip that most people often overlook involves your bedsheets. Either change them every other night, or place a fresh towel over your pillows every night because your pillow cases soak up a lot of oil from your hair and skin which may increase chances of breaking out. Try it for at least a week and I promise you will see a significant difference. 

Easily, the biggest tip is the most obvious; visit a dermatologist and talk with him or her to find out which prescription products can help you to faster obtain your goal for beautiful skin. :)

This article featured on Total Beauty is ace -- 13 Everyday Habits That Are Giving You Acne

RaraGiggles89
insider
2 years, 3 months ago
I feel your pain!

Lady, I know what you are feeling. I have acne prone skin but then parts of my face are really dry, its reallly really a pain!

The towel on the pillow is very good advice, never thought of that. Also, make sure you drink loads and loads of water. I used to be really bad for not hydrating and recently started drinking nearly 2.5 litres a day. It really has helped so much, it doesnt leave the dry patches so bad, and also, you are flushing toxins out of your body so it might reduce the number of breakouts. if nothing else, it won't leave the breakouts so angry and harsh!

I know they are quite pricey but I know dermalogica have amazing products for your skin! There are some websites you can buy them on too so they are not as expensive. Also, a bottle of dermalogica product goes a long way, I have the same daily microfoliant now for the past 3 months!

But yes, defintely go to a skin doctor. They will maybe know what is the root of the problem and help!

Good luck!

MaryTB
COMMUNITY MANAGER
2 years, 3 months ago
Re: Combination Skin

Fellow users have provided some very good advice, I hope you find it helpful! You may also want to check out these skin care tips, which I found very helpful. This article on skin care rules that are more harmful than helpful is also good!

Welcome to TotalBeauty.com!
Ready to unleash your inner beauty junkie? Enter your email and check the boxes below to get free samples, exclusive deals, discounts at Total Beauty Shops, and expert beauty tips delivered straight to your inbox!
Email to a friend