Home » Community » Message Boards » Get Healthy » Weight loss advice

Discussion

Weight loss advice

hey all!

I am 5'1 and currently am 10 stone 6 pounds.. (about 150lbs!) and I have lost a stone over the past year in a bid to get fit and healthier. I am really really proud of how far I have come, cos I am sticking at that weight now.

However, for my height I am still a LITTLE on the overweight side and I would love to loose another half a stone (sorry btw for talking in stone and pound weights, I am from Ireland!) and I am at a standstill...

Could anyone share some advice with me how to get those last few pounds off?

I eat a pretty healthy diet, and try to do at least 40 mins of cardio exercise a day...

any words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated! :)

Subscribe
Notifiy me with emails too

10 Replies

brandi918
insider
2 years, 4 months ago
Weight loss advise

A word of advise that came at me from a doctor.  Yuck  I know.  Water,  water, water.  The more water you drink the more hydrated your body will be,  once your body understands it will stay hydrated it will shed all extra water weight.  You will be surprised how much water weight you may be carrying around.  My doctor told my to drink  32oz before breakfast, lunch and dinner and then as much as I could in between.  I will be honest, I thought she was trying to make me float the first two weeks, but about the third week low and behold something happened.  Besides me having to run to the bathroom every two minutes (to much water)  the weight started coming off.  The first month and 1/2  I lost 12lbs most of is was water.  Drink water also helps push impurities out of your body and that helps your body kinda of reset itself.  Don't get down what ever you do.  Just keep at it  and you will get to where you want to be. Good Luck!

MaryTB
COMMUNITY MANAGER
2 years, 4 months ago
Re: Weight Loss Advice

First of all, congrats on how far you've come! It sounds like you've worked hard to achieve your heath/diet/fitness goals, and that is really inspiring!

To drop those final pesky pounds, there are several things you can try. Maybe one of the best detox diets on the market is what you're looking for. Detoxes (if done the healthy way!) are a great option for ridding your body of impurities and toxin build up.

You might also want to read up on some of this weight loss advice and these excercise tips.

Of course the best thing you can do is just keep doing what you're doing. Make sure you switch up your fitness routine every day so your body doesn't get used to it, and hydrate, hydrate, hydrate!

RaraGiggles89
insider
2 years, 4 months ago
thank you!

thanks for the great advice, as always!

Definitely will try a detox diet (after Christmas maybe ;) ) and its always good to get new exercise tips!

and for sure about the water advice, especially when working in an office that gets so stuffy, I need to drink more h2o!

Thanks again, will let you know how I get on! Fingers crossed I will drop the last few pounds (the hard work will be worth it at the end I tell myself!)

mariasemuel
insider
2 years, 3 months ago
Re: Weight loss advice

Below are ways to reduce calorie intake without having to alter your diet significantly.

• Replace fizzy drinks and fruit cordials with water.
  • Swap whole milk for semi-skimmed, or semi-skimmed for skimmed.
  • Eat less lunch than usual. For example, make your own sandwich and limit the use of margarine or butter and full-fat mayonnaise (store-bought sandwiches often contain both).
  • Stop taking sugar in tea and coffee.
  • Have smaller portions of the food you enjoy.
  • Avoid having a second helping at dinner.
  • Cut out unhealthy treats – such as confectionary, sugary biscuits and crisps between meals.
  • Avoid alcohol.   

I hope this will help you to reduce weight.        

Atkins diet

Luna123
insider
2 years, 3 months ago
Losing those last pounds

I want to congradulate you first of all Smilebecause it took me 2 years to lose 80+ pds and I'm 4'11"!  I went up and down and it was frustrating cuz I didn't know what I was doing wrong; people thought I was preggers! Anyway, what I did discover was that my being on the depo shot contributed to my weight gain (and inablility to keep it off)..So yes I had big breasts I always wanted when I was a teen but the weight was way too much.Cry

So after going to a nutritionalist and doctor I got down this year to 121. It was not fun because as the others commented I had to really be diligent w/regards to eating correctly. But as the depo got out of my system something odd started to happen: I recently went from 118 to 98 in a month and a half. Didn't change the fact that I ate more veggies than meat;less cheese; soy milk;smaller portions;lots of water and exercised (cardio) 30 mins a day;no eating at bedtime (just honey tea) and allowed myself 1 sweet a week. I too, started eating one big meal a day(morning or lunch) and just healthy-snacked the rest of the day. Seemed to work for me.

Now I have a regime and eat small breakfast/1 white egg w/a turkey sausage;or a protein smoothie, exercise,bigger lunch(ex:large chicken salad/Chinese noodles) and snack dinner(like I cut my dinner in half or have a wrap) Water is GREAT!!! So is green tea.....

MY dinnertime is earlier now around 6 pm and that Really helps!Wink

+Hope this wasn't too confusing!+Embarassed

But that's what I did. You  probably are losing weight but don't notice it because we lose inches first (like  my breasts boo! and butt/hips went first--stomach last.)

I hope you are doing well and I just know you are going to lose the rest.

RaraGiggles89
insider
2 years, 3 months ago
great help!

Thank you! You sound to be doing great too!! Congrats!! :) Its always great to see a result when you have being working hard to look good!

And thanks for the advice, I defintely think one thing I have a problem with is portion size so I am going to start cutting down on that a bit..starting with the Christmas dinner tomorrow!! (it wil be worth it, I am wearing a fab but unforgiving dress! ;))

one little question..what is depo? sorry, probably a dumb question!

I also think I need to mix up my exercise routine every now and then, so my body doesnt get too used to the same routine!

and Green Tea and Water are just amazing! Similary I have cut out all frothy coffees like lattes etc

and yes, unfortunately for me the first place I dropped the pounds on was my boobs :( they weren't too big to start with but hey, a firmer butt and no love handles are worth smaller breasts I guess! :) the main thing for me was getting fit to start with, I wanted to be able to hill climb without going all red and breathless...or jog without looking like a turkey about to explode! haha!

so, thanks again Luna! Keep me posted on how it goes! ITs always good to have a weight loss buddy for encouragement, so lets kick the pesty pounds to the curb!!

Good luck :)

jenlyman
2 years, 2 months ago
Have you tried the South Beach diet?

I'm not trying to sell anything but I have had great success myself with the South Beach diet.  What I really like about it is that it basically just teaches you to eat healthy and how to make a lifestyle change that will last.  Most diets have you do things that are either not healthy for the body or are completely unsustainable so once you get tired of it, the weight comes back.  South Beach will help you train your body to properly use the food you eat for energy and it works. 

RaraGiggles89
insider
2 years, 2 months ago

I have never heard about this diet? what does it involve?

Currently, manage to get rid of all the Christmas holiday weight AND loose another 2 pounds by drinking some warm lemon juice in the mornings, I find it good to help detox!

Also, trying to go swimming once a week..mix my exercise routine up a bit, thinking of starting a Zumba class once a week too.. wish me luck! :)

LadySara
insider
2 years, 1 month ago

Congrats on your weight loss! I know its harder to shed the last bit of weight off, but stay dedicated, becasue those are the ones that usually take longer.

Remember that to lose weight its mostly 20 % exercise and 80% diet.

Since you do cardio everyday thats probably why you are not losing those last pounds. Dont get me wrong cardio is great for the heart and calorie burning, but you need to challenge your body with weight training. Trust me it does beneficial and dont be scared of getting bulky! When u weight train it is different than cardio because you are putting stress on your muscles which in the end need energy to repair themselves, which means it will burn calories even after you are done your workout. I can go on and on about this and eating healthy because I have been working out for 3 years now, 6 days a week for atleast one hour , doing both cardio and weight training using dumbells, kettlebell and resisitance bands , but please do not go heavy on the weights unless you feel you need to challenge your self, you dont want to hurt yourself!

RaraGiggles89
insider
2 years, 1 month ago

I bought myself some dumbbells last weekend and have started using them! thanks for the tip, have you any recommendations on good exercises to use dumbbells with?

Currently down to 10 stone 2 pounds, thats a stone and a half gone! started Zumba recently and I love it! Hopefully the rest of my goal weight loss goes ok!

Welcome to TotalBeauty.com!
Ready to unleash your inner beauty junkie? Enter your email and check the boxes below to get free samples, exclusive deals, discounts at Total Beauty Shops, and expert beauty tips delivered straight to your inbox!
Email to a friend