Home » Community » Message Boards » Ask an Expert » How Often do you Exfoliate?

Discussion

How Often do you Exfoliate?

I usually do it once a month, but I recently bought a new Garnier Exfoliator and i love it. Plus in the winter, i want to make sure I get off the dead skin off!

Can you exfoliate too much?

Any other favorite exfoliators?

Subscribe
Notifiy me with emails too

7 Replies

iceis
2 years, 4 months ago
I exfoliate...

... every other week. I do it more frequently in the summer, since it makes the tan stay longer. 

I've heard that you shouldn't do it more than 2 times a week. Don't really remember why, but I can imagnine that it makes the skin thinner and more vulnerable.

I like the ones from The Body Shop! You can also make a scrub for exfoliating on your own by mixing sugar and oliv oil! Works nicely and leaves yor skin very soft :-)

MaryTB
COMMUNITY MANAGER
2 years, 4 months ago
Re: Exfoliating

Exfoliating is tricky! I used to do it every other day - both my face and my body. But, then I read this article about skin care rules that actually do more harm than good, and learned that you should only exfoliate once every two weeks.

Now I exfoliate twice a month and use a heavy moisturizer with SPF afterwards to make sure I'm protecting my skin from harmful pollutants and UV rays.

We've got tons of skin care tips and dermatologist advice on the site, so read on to learn more about how to care for your skin!

makayla_baca
insider
2 years, 4 months ago
Re: How Often do you Exfoliate?

I heard your Suposed to exfoliate once a week,

but my face gets these scab like things so I normally exfoliate twice a week, and follow with a good moisterizor (sorry for the spelling)

You can make an all natural exfoliator at home,, my dads ex girlfriend used to make it.

Research some recipes for it, it works really well from what I remember

TheLacqueredLady
elite
2 years, 4 months ago
Depends...

It really depends on your skin type. I have combination skin and I exfoliate about once a week - twice in the summer. If I find my skin is looking particularly dull, I will maybe add an additional exfoliation. Each time you exfoliate you remove the layer of dead skin which also strips your skin of natural oils. If you exfoliate too much your body can start over producing oil to compensate - this leads to oily skin. If you find your skin continues to look dull despite regular (and appropriate exfoliation), try drinking more water. You may be dehydrated.

As far as favorite exfoliators go, I love the St. Ive's Apricot scrub line as well as the new Olay mechanical exfoliator.

haley_beckham
2 years, 4 months ago
exfoliation

Hey Sophie! 

I'm a professional beauty consultant at Merle Norman, so I've learned alot about this in training. It's always essential to exfoliate! I would recommend you exfoliate atleast twice a week. A month is way too long for build up. Also make sure you wash your face with a cleanser morning and night! I recommend a toner for even healthier moisture filled skin. 

I use my Clarisonic in the shower twice a week. It's quick and easy! 20 seconds on my forehead. 10 seconds on both cheeks and 20 seconds on your nose and chin combined! 

I use Merle Normans Gentle Polish Exfoliator which is awesome! I love it. But! It is a very intense scrub. If you want something lighter I would use Merle Normans Polished Perfections. 

I definitely recommened you try these products or a comparable product! Once a month I would suggest you used a micro exfoliator for a mini microdermabrasion. This is the best thing to do for your skin. It will completely rejuvinate it. But is definitely WAY to harsh to use on a regular basis. :)

If you want more info or tips from me you can follow my blog! http://abeautybrouhaha.tumblr.com/

hamolla
allstar
7 months, 2 weeks ago
Re: How Often do you Exfoliate?

I do not exfoliate, I got sensitive skin and I am not into face scrubs. I remember using an Avon white tea scrub which was having fine particles so it was quite delicate for the skin.

ruzuo
2 years, 4 months ago
How Often do you Exfoliate?

autumn and winter is often.

well,discount handbags,such as LV, Chanel handbags and so on.

Welcome to TotalBeauty.com!
Ready to unleash your inner beauty junkie? Enter your email and check the boxes below to get free samples, exclusive deals, discounts at Total Beauty Shops, and expert beauty tips delivered straight to your inbox!
Email to a friend