Home » Community » Message Boards » Ask an Expert » wash hair daily or weekly?

Discussion

wash hair daily or weekly?

I used to wash my hair every other day, but my hairdresser used to tell me that its so dry and that i should wash it less.

Since then, i have "trained" my hair so that i only wash it twice a week and i noticed such a great difference in the quality of my hair. Its stronger and healthier than ever before! It was hard at first because i hated that oily look. But in a matter of a month, my hair just got used to it i guess!

Whats the norm for you ladies?

Subscribe
Notifiy me with emails too

16 Replies

DesertGirl84
insider
2 years, 4 months ago
Never daily

I have never washed my hair everyday. I just find that it dries it out and strips it of it's natural oils, which i need since my hair is dry and frizzy. I don't have a set number of times i wash it per week, I just wash it when i see that it needs to be washed, which ends up being 2-3 times per week. 

LipglossandSpandex
BLOGGER
2 years, 4 months ago
Depends.

Before, I needed to wash my hair every day or every other day. Now that my hair has been bleached and dyed red, I'm trying to maintain the color, so I wash my hair every 3-4 days.

MaryTB
COMMUNITY MANAGER
2 years, 4 months ago
RE: wash hair daily or weekly?

This is one of those things that EVERYONE has an opinion on, and I think it's because you really just need to try different routines until you find what works best for your own hair. I use a lot of product to tame my frizzy curls, so I tend to wash my hair pretty often. But every now and then I straighten it, and I'll go 4 days without washing it.

Some things that I've found helpful are the hair care advice articles on our site. The hair tips in this "hair rules to break" article really helped me. I also really liked the great hair advice in our "mission good hair day" series.

Hope this helps!

lilinah
insider
2 years, 4 months ago
Once or Twice a Week

I have never washed my hair every day, even when it was a little oilier than it is now - then i washed 2 or 3 times a week. It is now comparatively dry and washing more than twice a week dries out my hair, strips it of its natural oils, and turns it into an unruly hay stack, since it is now dry and frizzy. In some situations, i have gone longer than a week and my hair hasn't gotten oily. I regularly use conditioner, and i use the occasional mask or treatment product - i have had good results with a number of John Frieda products.

I now let my hair dry naturally, no blow dryer. Rubbing with a towel roughs up the cuticle and makes hair frizzier, so i just wrap it for a while and let the towel absorb the water. Then i take off the towel and let it air dry, without combing or brushing (brushing is not good for wet hair). These practices make my hair much smoother, although it will be wavy. However after a couple days it does get frizzy.

I rarely use any hair styling products, although on rare occasions, on already dry hair, i use shine enhancing and/or smoothing products, such as when going to a nice dinner or party.

BonnieC_
insider
2 years, 4 months ago
Washing hair twice a week

I've found that the condition of my hair improves and looks so much better (because it's in better condition) when I shampoo no more than twice a week. Also, brushing hair daily to increase circulation, rinsing conditioner out with cold water, and absolutely no hair dryers or heating elements. And don't forget to switch you products out within the week, right? Once your hair acclimates to one shampoo over time, the initial results you got when first using the shampoo no longer exist...gotta switch them out....still use them, just not as the steady diet. And trim the hair every 6 weeks to keep split ends under control (and generally look more polished). Get your sleep, exercise, stress under control, nutritious diet, it'll all show (biotin supplements don't hurt either!)

VV001
allstar
1 year, 9 months ago
Re: wash hair daily or weekly?

I think I'm the only one to say it, but I wash almost every single day. My roots and bangs get oily by day two and my hair always has more volume when I wash daily. I've tried different dry shampoos to help me stretch my washes more, but everyone I've tried has either left a stubborn white residue or just isn't effective enough. Any good suggestions for dry shampoo for brunettes?

GigiSD
elite
1 year, 1 month ago

I wash my hair two to three times a week. I used to wash it daily (sometimes twice in the summer), but all I was doing was damaging it and weakening the cuticle!

forddaisy
2 years, 4 months ago
Twice a Week Washing as well as Oiling

My hair usually was dry I never try to wash it on dialy basis nor I oil so much to my hair..Although I used to  wash it twice a week and beforenight of washing my hair I used oil my hair so that the roughness get lost and I will get perfect soft hair.. Washing too much is not healthy for hair as well as oily hair also damage your hair by making it stick dirt to your hair..May this helps you.....

volta
elite
2 years, 4 months ago

I wash my hair every other day. I deep condition every time I do so. This is the regimen that works well with me. :)

lasvegasnv
elite
1 year, 10 months ago

Washing it 2-3 times a week is sufficient, so the hair doesn't dry out as much. It depends if there's a lot of product in the hair because then I would wash it out.

Welcome to TotalBeauty.com!
Ready to unleash your inner beauty junkie? Enter your email and check the boxes below to get free samples, exclusive deals, discounts at Total Beauty Shops, and expert beauty tips delivered straight to your inbox!
Email to a friend