Home » Community » Message Boards » Ask an Expert » Question about SPF

Discussion

Question about SPF

I always apply moisturizer before I put on face makeup. My moisturizer has SPF 35 and my face makeup had SPF 20. When I put them both on is it like having an SPF 55? Or is is different since they are 2 different products? Like if you put more moisturizer the SPF 35 wouldn't increase- so would it increase if you also added an SPF 20 to it?

sorry if thats confusing!

Subscribe
Notifiy me with emails too

6 Replies

CaroleVonAllten
elite
2 years, 4 months ago
SPF

SPF is not cumulative.  You can't add the 2 together and come up with a higher spf.  As long as you are using a product with at least 30 SPF, you will be protected from the damaging light rays.  Should put on SPF last after other moisturing products and serums.  Also, don't forget that the lights in your home also give out damaging light rays.  So, even when you are in your home, wear SPF products.

Carole VonAlltenCool

aly7
elite
2 years, 4 months ago
Re: Question about SPF

I understand that. What I am asking is if I put an SPF  20 on and an SPF 35 on- what am I ending up with? Am I getting the 35 or the 20 protection?

LipglossandSpandex
BLOGGER
2 years, 4 months ago
You get the lesser SPF.

Think of it as diluting the higher SPF.

aly7
elite
2 years, 4 months ago

Gotcha. Thanks!

Supernaturalfan
insider
2 years, 3 months ago

I read that an SPF 30 is the best minimum protection to wear. 

As far as products that both have an SPF, I read somewhere you end up with the AVERAGE of the two (or 3!).  So 20+10=30 SPF, divided by the two items, so you'd end up with SPF 15!  I know that if you have that, the bare minimum, you're okay!  And of course, wear a hat and avoid the sun when you can.

I put my moisturizer with SPF 30 on first, since it's closest to my skin then.  I let it set a couple of minutes, then put on foundation.  It has SPF 20, so I'm ultimately getting, from what I read, SPF 25.

Also, I've read conflicting advice on whether sunscreen should go on first, last, middle, etc.  Geez!  LOL  But I put it on first.  2 layers of products is enough for me; I don't use a serum or anything else during the day.Laughing I don't wear it at home, unless I'm sitting by a sunny window.  Again, I've heard conflicting info on this.  UV rays from lights at home is so slight that you'd be wasting your sunscreen wearing it at home.

MaryTB
COMMUNITY MANAGER
2 years, 3 months ago
RE: SPF

It's great that your thinking about SPF and educating yourself on how to protect your skin from the sun! This is a very important part of your daily beauty regimen.

Check out the best sunscreens our editors have found to figure out what works best for you for different seasons and occasions. I always use a good foundation with spf built in, so I automatically have coverage no matter what. For everyday use, I'd recommend at least 15 SPF... but make sure you use higher SPF when you plan on being out in the sun. And don't forget, UV rays can be damaging even on an overcast day, or when you're riding in a car or are somewhere with limited coverage - so you should always use protection!

Welcome to TotalBeauty.com!
Ready to unleash your inner beauty junkie? Enter your email and check the boxes below to get free samples, exclusive deals, discounts at Total Beauty Shops, and expert beauty tips delivered straight to your inbox!
Email to a friend