Home » Community » Message Boards » Ask an Expert » At home hair dye

Discussion

At home hair dye

Im Trying to dye my hair from dark brown to a pretty red color, but the color looks dull or not bright enough. It just makes it look Auburny brown, How would I be able to dye it a pretty red color at home with out having to bleach it? Embarassed

Subscribe
Notifiy me with emails too

4 Replies

CaroleVonAllten
elite
2 years, 4 months ago
At home hair dye

Red is a hard color to do.  I would highly recommend having your red hair done professionly.  You will get the results you want.

MaryTB
COMMUNITY MANAGER
2 years, 4 months ago
RE: At Home Hair Dye

Red is a tricky color to master, but there are some hair dye tips you can try at home. Check out this hair color tutorial and read some of these hair color advice articles. And don't forget to use one of the best color protecting shampoos when you're done! Good luck!

Has anyone done a DIY red hair look? Comment below and help makayla_baca out!

makayla_baca
insider
2 years, 4 months ago
Re: At home hair dye

Thank youu for helping out. I really appreciate it,, The thing with going to a professional is I go to the Aveda institute for the hair stylists to be, and every time I ask for an extreme change they never do what I want or say "no, that will damage your hair too much, you wont like it." I stay going there because its cheap, thats why I would prefer doing it at home, Affordable and If I mess it up then I can blame it on myself yaa know?:)

Thank you for replying!

LipglossandSpandex
BLOGGER
2 years, 4 months ago
I totally understand.

That same situation actually JUST happened to me. Went into a salon for Rihanna/fire engine/cherry red hair... talked about it ahead of time, she said she could do it, went in, andcame out looking orangey-brownish-red. And it was unevenly bleached to boot. Had a friend dye my hair with L'Oreal HiLites in Red with 30v developer. Got all the stuff at Sally Beauty. It wasn't too expensive and was actually pretty easy to do (if you've dyed hair in the past). There is actually a line of hair color at Sally meant for dark hair that doesnt require bleach. However, if you want your hair to be REALLY bright red, you'll probably need to bleach it first.

Welcome to TotalBeauty.com!
Ready to unleash your inner beauty junkie? Enter your email and check the boxes below to get free samples, exclusive deals, discounts at Total Beauty Shops, and expert beauty tips delivered straight to your inbox!
Email to a friend