Home » Community » Message Boards » Get Healthy » Multivitamins?

Discussion

Multivitamins?

I've been considering taking multivitamins as I have heard that they can really help boost your overall health. However, I am a bit hesitant because I know there are some you can take together, some you can't, and some that cancel each other out. I'm not very educated in nutritional supplements and was wondering if anyone had any advice?

Subscribe
Notifiy me with emails too

7 Replies

JeanC7
insider
2 years, 5 months ago
Re: Multivitamins?

If you buy a formula from a good company you won't need to worry about a conflict.  I have taken Rainbow Light and Alive!  and also Synergy from vitacost.  You can check out Synergy at the vitacost site, and look at Rainbow Light and Alive! on amazon or in your local health food store. 

LittleBunny
elite
2 years, 5 months ago
Vitamins

I love supplmenting my beauty regimen with vitamins. I recommend www.swansonvitamins.com as a great website for ordering vitamins and natural beauty products(they have a massive selection and great prices), as well as a comprehensive health library so that you can educate yourself on what your body needs and any possible side effects. Good luck!

dianapol
2 years, 5 months ago

very true, I think multivitamis are must for a beautiful and glowing skin, and I think for this we have to eat all the good things,. :)

grass
insider
2 years, 4 months ago
Multivitamins?

Life Pack by Nu Skin has helped me a lot. It's a bit pricey but it's worth it. Each pack contains 4 pills which contain calcium and other minerals, vitamins and anti-oxidants.

drew
2 years, 4 months ago

I love that Health Library thank you! Great to know what does what. I've been using the drugstore.com Drug Interaction Checker to see what precautions I need to be aware of for what I am taking. I've learned some interesting things from it.

I take Ortho-Cyclen birth control (3 months on, 1 week off), Acyclovir for coldsore treatments (as needed), L-Lysine to help fight coldsores as well (daily), and a One-A-Day Multivitamins (daily). Turns out that taking birth control and eatting grapefruit and drinking coffee can have adverse effects. The grapefruit combined with birth control can raise estrogen levels and can cause spotting, bloating, shortness of breath, and chest pain. The caffine combined with birth control can increase levels of caffine in the system (which most bc contains) and can cause irregular, or very hard or fast heartbeats, headaches, sleep interruption, jitteryness (yes that is my version of a technical term lol), and trouble relaxing or concentrating.

Also, I discovered some interactions between contents in multivitamins as well as consumed items. Things like Niacin and alcohol should not go together as well as ascorbic acid and cyanocobalamin. Niacin is typical in multivitamins and promotes growth, healthy tissue, eye health, cardiovascular health, and lipid metabolism. Ascorbic Acid is Vitamin C and is great for antioxident protection, immune infection, reproductive health, vision/eye health, and mental functions. Cyanocobalamin is vitamin B-12, essential for maintaning skin and hair.

You can see how this can start to get tricky. But like you said, if it's a quality manufacturer, you shouldn't have to worry about a multivitamin having a "bad mix".

I've heard a lot of women rave about prenatal multivitamins when you're not pregnant, for healthy hair and nail growth. Can anyone attest to this? Does it do anything for skin??

jillian_rose
2 years, 4 months ago
Multivitamins

I have done some homework using a variety of websites for information about supplements. I usually take all these with lunch and a cup of water. I take One a Day Women's. I also take a calicum pill because of being lactose intollerant I rarely have dairy. One of the pills I believe is helping my skin the most is from a store brand, Meijer naturals, I've found them buy one get one and I'll stock up. It contains CO Q-10, Vitamin E, & Fish Oil. I take two so it equals 400IU of Vitamin E, as well as 50MG of CO Q-10 and then they break down the fish oils into lots of other things. I also eat 2 Vitamin C with Rose hips gummies to prevent getting sick. I take a B complex after a recomendation from my doctor. He said it would help me stay more alert. I could take 3 naps a day and sleep 9 hrs at night without this pill. He told me that my body will use what it needs and dispose of the rest because it is a water-soluable vitamin. 

I got started with all of this because I inquired at the doctor's office why he perscribes a 78 year old woman Vitamin E. He said it helps to heal skin from the inside out. 

hamolla
allstar
7 months, 2 weeks ago

Try to eat healthy and drink liquids. My cousins were given vitamins and they grew up big, masive, fatty, not healthy look at all. Recently I got some multivitamins and I gave up taking the cuse I started to put weight without eating much and I started to see weird changes in my body. Thy are all chemicals so I do not recommend unless you are anaemic.

Welcome to TotalBeauty.com!
Ready to unleash your inner beauty junkie? Enter your email and check the boxes below to get free samples, exclusive deals, discounts at Total Beauty Shops, and expert beauty tips delivered straight to your inbox!
Email to a friend