Home » Community » Message Boards » Hair Help » Dying dark hair lighter..?

Discussion

Dying dark hair lighter..?

My hair is naturally a lighter brown color and i dyed it dark brown almost black, i love the color but i want to grow out my hair so im thinking of lightening it back to my origional color for a while while it grows out so i dont have to deal with roots and re-dying. 

SO, Do i need to bleach my hair first before i color it?  i dont really want to because i know its bad for it.  Or will the boxed do it yourself hair dye bleach it for me, and if so where do i look on the box to see if it will?

Or should i just go to a stylist to do it for me? (if you say this i may try it on my own fist anyway lol) is it really that much more worth it, or just too expensive (i dont have alot of money...)Undecided

The black dye i used was a semi perminent but i used it a few times because of roots so its staying in lol.

Thanks for your help ^_^

Subscribe
Notifiy me with emails too

3 Replies

GlitzyGal
2 years, 5 months ago
Re: Dying dark hair lighter..?

I'm a professional cosmetologist and would personally use a hair color remover. This a a more gentle approach and will lift your current color up to 3 levels lighter. If the first application doesn't lighten your hair enough, with most color removers, you can do a second one, but make sure to follow the exact directions on the box. This is crucial when using any chemical service, follow all steps exactly.

Note: When preforming this process on your hair, you may notice that the hair color may be little brassy or two toned, if this happens you will want to have a semi permanent hair color, such as a toner, to equalize any unwanted tones. I recommend that you use a hair color that is at least two shades lighter then your desired level.  Really watch the color, as it does not take the full amount of time to process.  Sometimes I only have to leave the color on for about 5 minutes, use your discretion.

I am not familiar with this product but I think it will help you out.

L'Oreal Effasol Color Remover

Hope this helps and good luck.

agnesN
insider
2 years, 6 months ago
Dying dar hair lighter?

Hi Sohee

I had the same situation with dying my hair lighter. I wanted to do it myself but my family and friends suggested to talk to a professional first, and I did. First of all the hairdresser didn't recommend bleaching completely and dying again (which was my plan), she said the best way to change hair color is  to apply highlights all over the hair and the highlight color should be one degree lighter than the current hair color, to blend with original color. then start coloring the roots the similar color of highlight while blending with the rest of hair (I have shoulder length hair by the way) every time that you trim your hair you'll get closer to what you want. All the highlighting and the process would cost arount $120.

She also gave me another option that was not do anything and just start coloring your roots one level lighter and continue to do so. For me this option was more suitable and I started coloring my roots lighter brown, it's what I want, honestly, I think it's much better because everytime that you wash your hair some of the old dye washes away for example my previous black hair is now more medium brown. So it's up to your patience. If you have patience to wait go ahead and start coloring your roots with lighter color, otherwise do highlights first and never bleach your hair at home.

Good luck

MrsFrosty226
insider
2 years, 6 months ago
Re: Dying dark hair lighter..?

I do agree with the highlight idea! (you can even do this yourself if you use a cap)  but I suggest you wait as long as you can because it will fade and as it does it will be easier to change the color

Welcome to TotalBeauty.com!
Ready to unleash your inner beauty junkie? Enter your email and check the boxes below to get free samples, exclusive deals, discounts at Total Beauty Shops, and expert beauty tips delivered straight to your inbox!
Email to a friend