Home » Community » Message Boards » Skin Central » Can someone recommend me a good sunscreen for everyday wear?

Discussion

Can someone recommend me a good sunscreen for everyday wear?

I live in the south and I spend around 3-4 hours outside in sunlight everyday. I'd like it to be at least SPF 30. I also need it to be non-comenogenic and unscented. Thanks in advance any help would be greatly appreciated.

*In case you need to know, I have oily/combination, acne-prone, sensitive skin.

Subscribe
Notifiy me with emails too

15 Replies

sexysaydie
insider
2 years, 5 months ago

I am going to reply to this in referring to the sunscreen for your face.  Weall know that you should be wearing sunscreen all over your body. You would probably select a different one for your face, neck and décolleté area then you would for the rest of your body for many reasons. But, I am focusing on the face.

CoolThere are a few considerations here:

·    You can consider one that is a tinted moisturizer.  This way you are picking one product to do 2 jobs.  Most of the tinted moisturizers I have used, especiallywhen it gets very hot out, seem to run, thus creating streaks, and leaving you with uneven, or little sun coverage.  I recently tried a few good ones that I would recommend, one is Dr. Perricone.  It seems not to run, and, unlike a make up, when the bottle has a SPF number on it, that is the true coverage.  It has nice coverage too, so all i really need to add during the day was a bit of blush or bronzer.  The other one I have been using is the new Eminence tinted mineral moisturizer.  I really like this one.  It contains zinc, and shea butter, which scared me a bit, since my face can get a bit oily.  I have been using it for the entire summer with no problem.  The coverage, like Dr. Perricone is very good. As a previous member mentioned, I like the neutrogena too.

·    You can consider the mineral powders, which, like the tinted moisturizers, give you a true SPF coverage. There are a few out there, they cover well and protect the skin well too.  The only problem I see with the actual mineral powders is that for older women, it seems to lie in creases on the face, thus giving the illusion of lines and wrinkles.  Plus some of these mineral powders are difficult to remove, or, as I have seen, many people do not remove it properly.

·    There are some facial moisturizers that are just zinc oxide and titanium dioxide, with no parabens.  A few of these would be: Tizo 2 & Tizo 3 (the Tizo 3 has a hint of color (from iron oxide) in it so it does not go on white).  This formulation is GREAT!!  The SPF is 40 (UVA/UVB); excellent for all skin types including sensitive skins; it is FREE of all chemical sunscreen filters; it is water resistant; which means you can wear it to go in the water or for outdoor activities.  There are a few others out there that are great such as a few from Eminence skin care, Elta MD, Image Skincare, and a few other companies.

These are a few suggestions of the ones that I really like for my face that are non-comenogenic and are slightly or unscented.

·    You must remember, regardless of the sun's appearance, weather it be a bright sunny day, or even overcast, the sun's ultraviolet rays can get through the clouds.  

·    The Sun causes between 80-90% of all Skin cancers

·    The sun is 70-80% stronger when it is reflected off of sand or snow...so for those of you who ski, you need to wear your SPF!!

·    It has been shown that the sun weakens the immune system, which reduces your defense against infection

·    The sun's rays are magnified when it goes through glass, such as your window.  This means you need extra protection when driving or at home or work if you are near a window.

CoolIN other words, PLEASE WEAR YOUR SUNSCREEN EVERYDAY!! Cool

grass
insider
2 years, 4 months ago

VMV's Armada works really well.

DonnaFay
insider
2 years ago
more healthier and cheaper solution

I work in the health field as an RN.  I am very conscious of certain chemicals in products. Eventually I want to use only products that are free of parabens and more natural for my skin.  I read several articles that a certain ingredient they use in facial sunscreens can affect your hormone levels and is unhealthy in the longterm (hormonal levels can lead to breast cancer, etc).  A lot of make up companies use these ingredient in their sunscreen-- oxybenzone.   read the labels and avoid anything with that ingredient!  It is very misleading when you pay a huge amount of money for products that are harmful in the long run.

Sunblock is better than sunscreen.  It has to read Broad spectrum meaning protecting you from UVA and UVB rays. 

I use Neutrogena pure and free baby Sunblock lotion with a SPF of 60.  Sure, it's a little greasy but this is something you would use on babies.  It has the most important ingredients of Titanium Dioxide and Zinc Oxide that protects the skin.  it only costs $10.00

Here is an article about sunscreen lotion. 

http://www.fitsugar.com/Sunscreen-Dangerous-8552637

ladyboarder9669
elite
2 years, 6 months ago
Shisedo SPF 55 sunscreen is amazing! Doesn't feel goopy and thick like sunscreen.

Protects amazingly too! I've been in the sun all day and this has protected my face! 

MychelleMyBell
2 years, 6 months ago
Sunscreen

I have used Banana Boat SPF 50 on face, neck and everywhere else. 

It doesn't clog pores, it's sweatproof, has no smell and is

non-greasy.  Great product! Smile

Ninalove
2 years, 6 months ago
sunscreen

I use sunscreen everyday of my life and have tried a LOT. Neutragena for the face is great. It comes in spfs that go up very high, and have one for the face that is called "dry touch' or something that I love. Many sunscreens melt down into your lip area and taste horrid- but not Neutragena. Go for it,  they are reasonably priced, highly trusted. P.S. I am 47 and people think I am not older that 35. I have been using Neutragena sunscreens for YEARS :)

Cheers to you !

MaryTB
COMMUNITY MANAGER
2 years, 4 months ago
Re: Sunscreen

Try taking this quiz to discover the best sunscreen for you!

brandyc89
2 years ago
PCA SKIN HAS THE PERFECT SUNSCREEN FOR EVERYONE

HYDRATOR PLUS SPF 30 - $32.00

Functions as a sunscreen and moisturizer. ingredients inhibit sun-induced inflammation. Caffeine reduces cellular damage caused by UV rays.. skin is left smooth and soft looking and feeling healthier..

PERFECTING PROTECTION SPF 30- $24.00

this revolutionary sunscreen that helps reduce existing skin discoloration (hyperpigmentation) with daily use you will begin to see diminishing dark spots and a more even skin tone.

WEIGHTLESS PROTECTION SPF 45- $30.00

sheer sunscreen that quickly penetrates skin to provide maximum uv protection. the light texture is ideal for oily or acne prone skin types.

TeresaDouglas
2 years ago
Re: Can someone recommend me a good sunscreen for everyday wear?

I like Banana Boat too, and I also use Coppertone Sport (I love the scent). I wear a minimum of SPF 30 and have never had any issues with these sunscreens wearing off or giving poor coverage.

mbree14
2 years ago
Solar Protection Formula Tizo 3 Protection Facial Mineral Fusion Spf 40

Best sunscreen ever! I have very, very sensitive skin, and I also have recently cleared up my acne. This is very sheer, long lasting, non-greasy (which I have a problem with), and does not leave an white overcast in photographs. It lasts a very long time considering you only need a pea sized amount. I totally recommend it!

Welcome to TotalBeauty.com!
Ready to unleash your inner beauty junkie? Enter your email and check the boxes below to get free samples, exclusive deals, discounts at Total Beauty Shops, and expert beauty tips delivered straight to your inbox!
Email to a friend