Home » Community » Message Boards » Ask an Expert » my moms skin is super dry and flaky.. how can i help her?!

Discussion

my moms skin is super dry and flaky.. how can i help her?!

my mom is diabetic.. and takes insulin.. and by that.. her skin tends to be super dry .. and her face is like always flaky like when a snake changes their skin.. i know!! and she has a lot of wrinkles.. what are the products or ways to make her look youthfull again?!

Subscribe
Notifiy me with emails too

10 Replies

Mssaralee18
insider
2 years, 6 months ago
@JeanC7

thanks a lot for the great tip! ill try to look for that book.. yes .. her skin is really dry throughout her whole body.. and also she wants to color her hair but she is afraid of the toxins that could get into her scalp...

but ill buy that book! thanks for the tips and for those capsules.. ill ask her doctor about it.. if she could take those..

it means a lot to me..

thank you again!

Mssaralee18
insider
2 years, 6 months ago
thank you so much

thank you so much for the tips i really appreciate it! ok ill try those with my mom! and i hope her skin will look and feel better..

and by the way.. how about makeup products?! do you have any recommendations?!

JeanC7
insider
2 years, 6 months ago
Re: my moms skin is super dry and flaky.. how can i help her?!

I am concerned that your mother may be dry thoughout her body, not just on her face. This can effect eye and joint health.  Get a natural pure hyaluronic capsule, like NeoCell hyaluronic acid. Here is a newspaper article on the topic

http://www.marconews.com/news/2009/apr/14/ask-pharmacist-hyaluronic-acid-may-help-your-skin-/

You might also consider the book Diabetes Without Drugs for her.

ladyboarder9669
elite
2 years, 6 months ago
I have super dry skin and I've found exfoliating twice a week and using olay regenerist

night cream both morning and night has really helped moisturize my skin.

Mssaralee18
insider
2 years, 6 months ago
really?! @ladyboarder9669

really.. ill tell her that one..

ladyboarder9669
elite
2 years, 6 months ago
@mssaralee18 - Yeah I tried so many products and Olay has been one of the best

moisturizers i've found for my dry skin! The night cream is so rich and moisturizing i noticed a big difference when I started using it both morning and night, I think exfolliation is also key. I love St Ives Apricot scrub.

Mssaralee18
insider
2 years, 6 months ago
@ladyboarder

yeah i think thats what she is using right now.. thanks for the advice!

powerwoman033
elite
2 years, 1 month ago

My sister was diabetic for 20 years before recently receiving a kidney pancreas transplant and she had the driest skin I have ever seen!  My suggestion to your mom is to get the First Aid Beauty Ultra Repair Cream.  Nothing worked better for her feet and and everywhere else.  She can use this on her body and face.  Here is a little information on it:

What is it: A thick, rich, emollient cream that hydrates deep down with exceptional penetration. Ultra Repair Cream provides immediate relief and visible improvement for distressed skin, and can be used all over the body and on the face.

I know how horribly dry my sister's skin would get and this helped immensely!  Good Luck to Best Wishes to you both!

lasvegasnv
elite
1 year, 10 months ago

I like to use a moisturizing cream like Olay Regenerist at night and a SPF moisturizing lotion during the day. I also like to use a exfoliating mask or some type of scrub like Neutrogena's a couple times a week to get rid of any dead skin cells.

CaroleVonAllten
elite
2 years, 6 months ago
Super Dry and Flaky Skin

Living in the desert and studying cosmetology has given me a lot of information.

1.  Don't ever cleanse your skin with soap.  Use a good product like Purity by Philosophy.  (available at Ulta, or even try on-line sites, if you're not near an ULTA.  Just Google it. 

2.  Use a serum.  It penetrates the skin to allow your moisturizer to really penetrate the skin.  Dermologica makes a fantastic serum called Gentle Soothing Booster.  (Booster is another word for serum)

3.  Use a really good moisturizer, like Dermalogica Intensive Moisture Balance.  It is for dry to ultra dry skin.  Its ingredients are ultra-rich phytonutrient (plant derived), vitamin C for collagen production, anti-oxidant vitamins, and anti enzyme technology. 

4.  This routine should be followed morning and night. 

5.  Be sure you get all make up off your face.

6.  An excellent device for dealing with these problems is the Clarisonic.  It penetrates the skin 6 times deeper allowing the serum and moisturizer to really penetrate.  Go to an ULTA store.  I am not sure Sephora carries these brands.  They do have the Clarisonic.

7.  Don't use drugstore brands.  They just are not as potent as the "luxury brands" and besides, the luxury brands last longer and do the job.  They are more potent.

8.  Some people swear by Olay, but I hate it.  It does not give the proper moisturization.

Good luck.  If you need more info, go into a Sephora or ULTA or Department Store to have the products tested on you.  That is the best way.  That's the problem with drugstore brands - you can't test them.

Carole VonAlltenKiss

P.S.  To get rid of flakiness, too, 2-3 times a week use a mild exfolient like Microdelivery System

by Philosophy. 

Welcome to TotalBeauty.com!
Ready to unleash your inner beauty junkie? Enter your email and check the boxes below to get free samples, exclusive deals, discounts at Total Beauty Shops, and expert beauty tips delivered straight to your inbox!
Email to a friend