Home » Community » Message Boards » All About Nails » Transparent free edge on one nail

Discussion

Transparent free edge on one nail

I don't know what to do about this or why it's happened. I have a partly transparent free edge on one nail. It's almost all the way across and the second half (the end of the nail) is opaque like normal. What would cause that? It was opaque a few days ago and I woke up 2 days ago and it was transparent! Is something wrong with my nail or is this normal? How do I fix it?

Subscribe
Notifiy me with emails too

5 Replies

xdunlapx
2 years, 6 months ago
Re: Transparent free edge on one nail

I don't understand why nobody has responded to my question. My one nail has returned to normal but now the same finger on my other hand has the issue. I don't understand what causes it. It looks bad. I would like to know how to fix it. 

xdunlapx
2 years, 6 months ago

Please, if anyone has any idea how to fix this weird thing I'd love to hear it. I'm about to paint my nails just to cover it up. It's happening to different nails, too. I can't find an answer online anywhere else. 

aly7
elite
2 years, 6 months ago

I don't think I have ever heard of this..... if it's possible- could you take a picture and post it on here? That way i can see exactly what it looks like.

If this is now happening to other nails you may want to see a doctor just to make sure nothing is wrong.

Also- does the edge hurt?

xdunlapx
2 years, 6 months ago

I've tried taking a picture of it but it doesn't show up well. 

The transparent part is somewhat opaque but when I place an orange stick under my free edge where the transparent part is you can see the outline of the orange stick. 

It has come and gone and come back again on the free edge. I find it odd. I've read other places that it could be too much oil in the nail which causes the transparency. But my hands aren't oily much and I don't submerge them in water to do the dishes. My dad does the dishes. So I'm just confused.

Thank you for your reply :)

EDIT: No the edge does not hurt, there is nothing painful about it at all. My skin around the nail is normal as is under the nail. It doesn't seem to be an infection of any kind.

xdunlapx
2 years, 6 months ago

Most of the transparency has disappeared now. I don't know what to think. I guess it's just hyper-hydration. I thought maybe it was because I was using cuticle/nail oil every day. But I used it about a week ago after not using it for a while and it didn't do it. I'll just assume it's hydration. :)

Welcome to TotalBeauty.com!
Ready to unleash your inner beauty junkie? Enter your email and check the boxes below to get free samples, exclusive deals, discounts at Total Beauty Shops, and expert beauty tips delivered straight to your inbox!
Email to a friend