Home » Community » Message Boards » Ask an Expert » How can I find the right lip color?

Discussion

How can I find the right lip color?

I've been on the hunt for a signature lip color. I have cool undertones and while I love color, I want something I can wear daily. Nothing too bold or bright. Any advice?

Subscribe
Notifiy me with emails too

5 Replies

Sharon_Yi
insider
2 years, 7 months ago
Re: How can I find the right lip color?

Hi Brittany, I'm glad you asked!

If you have cool undertones, the new fall lip color MAGENTA would be perfect for you. But if you want something more wearable, nude beige hues are also in. For any color you choose, make sure that they have a blue base. If you want more color options that are hot for fall, check this story Total Beauty just did here. 

CaroleVonAllten
elite
2 years, 7 months ago
How can I find the right lip color

You can wear cool undertones, including red with a blue undertone.  I would suggest going to ULTA or Sephora and do a test run of different colors in different lines.  Plus you can get some help in deciding. 

prettyvisage
insider
2 years, 7 months ago
Blue base...

Thank you so much for the advice! I can't wait to go try some on... I'll focus on blue based formulas. Hope I can catch on to what really looks good on me. Sampling different options and getting help from someone is a great idea. 

LipglossandSpandex
BLOGGER
2 years, 7 months ago
If you're looking for an everyday lip color, try your natural lip color but a shade or two darker.

GrandRN
2 years, 7 months ago
How can I find the right lip color?

TRY BEFORE YOU BUY!

Yes, I KNOW that it is the Merle Norman 'slogan' but, it is a VERY GOOD thing to do when you know that some shades 'turn' when reacting with your skin, lips, etc.

Most independent beauty companies such as Avon, Mary Kay, etc. offer samples and 'makeover' sessions so that customers can 'field test' a product. Even Merle Norman will give you their little 'bubbles' to take home so that you can have a few wearings to decide how a product works for you.  Also the really good companies will keep a record of your skin type, color preferences, past purchases/returns, etc.

So go and 'try on' and make sure to tell the salesperson what your preferences and previous makeup experiences have been. Especially since makeup colors change with the seasons just as clothes do!

Welcome to TotalBeauty.com!
Ready to unleash your inner beauty junkie? Enter your email and check the boxes below to get free samples, exclusive deals, discounts at Total Beauty Shops, and expert beauty tips delivered straight to your inbox!
Email to a friend