Home » Community » Message Boards » Hair Help » Hair Breakage! Help! (Black Hair)

Discussion

Hair Breakage! Help! (Black Hair)

I have been suffering from serious hair breakage.  I can't even grow my hair long.  I am african american and can't find anything that actually works.

Should I just give up?

Thanks for any and all help!

- Shana

Subscribe
Notifiy me with emails too

9 Replies

laramasterson
2 years, 8 months ago
Don't give up!

Shana,

Have you tried the hair conditioner made by the company Urielpure?

It has all natural ingredients and is the only thing that actually helped stop my hair breakage.  According to their site their secret is to replace all of the things that are naturally found in healthy hair.

For years I was trying everything and this helped me, and a few friends of mine.

Here is their site:

www.urielpure.com

Hope this helps!

Good Luck!

Lara

charlotte_kirks
2 years, 8 months ago
Dont worry!

Hey Shana,

Well, first things first, because you're african american your hair is naturally weaker and more prone to breaking and splitting, so don't worry because it happens to alot of people!

I have really fragile hair so I totally understand where you're coming from. There are a few rules to try to follow: First you need to remember to not over comb it which could cause you to lose alot. Another is to try not to comb/brush it when its wet because it can stretch out and be weakened. When your washing your hair you can shampoo it as often as you feel you need to but make sure you wash it all out! And when you're shopping for shampoo stay away from Sodium Laurel Sulfate products: Always look for ammonium lureal formed products. Try not to use too many treatments like perming or dyeing or even using the flat iron! Also try to use products designed specifically for african american hair because it is so different from caucasian hair. Try trimming your hair pretty often, (every couple months) it doesn't have to be too much, just the dead ends. If your hair is really weak you might want to try a protein strengthening treatment but be careful not to use it too often or it will actually dry out your hair. If that is too extreme something like a daily multi vitamin will also help in the long term. There are alot of different home recipes for strengthening and moisturizing treatments that use common household items like avocado, eggs, and different oils.  One last thing to do is get rid of cotton pillowcases if you have them because (believe it or not) they actually dry out hair by absorbing the natural oils.

I know this is alot but hopefully it will help you out!
Charlotte

Kokome
insider
2 years, 8 months ago
Re: Hair Breakage! Help! (Black Hair)

Shana,

I've been where you have been and DON'T GIVE UP! In my case, the relaxer I was using was causing the breakage. I don't know if you're relaxed or natural, but when I switched to a different relaxer (I currently use the Oilve Oil one), it definitely helped.

Also, use a lot of conditioner. I use two rinse outs-first one by Pantene, and then one by Carol's Daughter, although when the Carol's Daughter runs out I will begin using the Neutrogena Hair Mask because it's a bit cheaper and the CD conditioner was my mom's anyway. Then when I blow-dry, I use a leave-in, moisturizer, and a split end mender. Sometimes, if I'm home all day with nothing to do, I'll put my hair in rollers and sit under a hood dryer, just so I'm not blasting it with a blow dryer every week. That's also helped me with my split ends, which used to be really bad.

It would also help to wrap your hair at night, and tie it up with a silk/satin scarf. NOT COTTON! Those are bad for your hair. And if you wear ponytails often, that can cause breakage if they're too tight.

I hope I helped you a bit.

shanajackson
2 years, 6 months ago
Thank you all so much for the advice!

Hello,

I listened to what you all said about avoiding certain chemicals and I tried the Urielpure Strengthening Conditioner.  It works!  My hair isn't breaking nearly as much even if I comb it while it's wet.

I'm going to continue using the Strengthening Conditioner and will keep you guys updated.

Thank you all so much again!

Shana

GlitzyGal
2 years, 5 months ago

Hey I just wanted to point out that I have been doing hot oil treatments to my hair and they help SO much. I normally use Philip B. or I have used oil I have at home such as olive oit, coconut oil, hemp seed or almond.  I mix them together and heat up untill lwarm on the stove.  I usually put a towel down on the bed and keep it in over night and my hair has improved 100%. 

One thing to remember if you do this treatment, you are going to have to apply shampoo (a little water, to help suds up) directly over your oiled hair.  If you jump right in the shower and put the oil directly under water it will be hard to get out.  Oil and water dont mix will.

Try it...Here is an oil that I do LOVE if you are in the market to purchase one!!! OIL TREATMENT.

lilberry40
insider
2 years, 2 months ago
Simple!

Aphoghee protein treatment(sally's beauty supply, biotin 5000 mg(walmart) and viviscal (viviscal.com,cvs,walgreens). Where satin scarf when sleep, use Aphogee line of products, and olive oll hot oil treatments.

LittleBunny
elite
2 years, 2 months ago
Breakage help!

Don't give up! To combat breakage on any type of hair, I highly recommend Aphogee Keratin & Green Tea Restructerizer spray. I wrote a lengthy review about it(you can find it here) http://www.totalbeauty.com/reviews/product/6319252/aphogee-keratin-green-tea-restructurizer ,

and I stand behind every word I wrote! I use it religiously and it has made all the difference in the world in my fragile hair. Spray it on after each wash, and you should see a major improvement in your breakage. You can pick it up at Sally Beauty stores, and many other beauty supply shops. It truly is the best product I have ever used on my hair. 

ochenabikel
8 months ago

Hi Shana, Just don't worry about it, it can be solved. As you are an african-american and has very dry hair, then you can try some home remedies. You can apply some eggs on your hair to add shine and strength as our hair is a protein and eggs are also filled with proteins. Avoid sleeping on cotton pillow, instead try to sleep on silk fibers. Also try to avoid shampoos that contain sulphate. Take biotin on a daily basis to make sure that you hair is getting enough hair-vitamins. You can read this article: <a href="http://www.hairneedcare.com/dry-hair-treatment/">http://www.hairneedcare.com/dry-hair-treatment/</a>

magictheatre
insider
8 months ago

Hey Shana, You seem to have got alot of great advise. I just wanted to add my two cents worth too. Mostly what everyone here is saying is accurate i.e. do not comb alot specially when dry. I usually untangle my hair after I put on conditioner and thats it, no comb at all. Also oil your hair before washing as it stops hair from breaking. Any hair oil is u dont good and you dont need to apply it 20-30 mins before always. When I'm in a hurry or just not in the mood I apply it like 2 mins before wash and even that works. Try switching out your cotton pillow covers to silk or satin as they dont dehydrate your hair over-night. I would strongly suggest you look into taking vitamin supplements especially biotin. I dont suggest you take them blindly but find out if they are safe for you and then start taking them. Hope this helps :)

Welcome to TotalBeauty.com!
Ready to unleash your inner beauty junkie? Enter your email and check the boxes below to get free samples, exclusive deals, discounts at Total Beauty Shops, and expert beauty tips delivered straight to your inbox!
Email to a friend