Home » Community » Message Boards » Skin Central » We need your thoughts on facial hair removal for an upcoming story.

Discussion

We need your thoughts on facial hair removal for an upcoming story.

Hi TotalBeauty community! The editors need your help for an upcoming story. When it comes to removing facial hair, what is that one burning question or concern you have that you're too embarrassed to talk about? For those of you who've never tried facial hair removal products, what has kept you from giving them a go?

Subscribe
Notifiy me with emails too

14 Replies

aly7
elite
2 years, 8 months ago
Re: We need your thoughts on facial hair removal for an upcomming story.

I have heard some people say that shaving facial hair (like the hair that is in between your eyebrows) makes it grow back thicker.

Is that true?

leftyonkey
insider
2 years, 8 months ago
removing facial hair

It took me until I was about 35 before I did any hair removal with my brows. I'm blonde and have pretty fair skin and always thought facial hair removal was for darker haired people. One day I went to the Lancome counter to ask about a brow pencil and the woman there said she would not even discuss things with me until I "took care" of my brows. She said they were really unkempt and unshapely. I agree that she didn't handle things right, but it got me to look closely in the mirror and pluck a few crazy hairs to try to get a better shape. I read several magazine articles and after about a year of very conservative plucking made an appointment to wax my brows. The difference made in my appearance just in cleaning up the shape of my brows made me realize I should have done it sooner.

I also tried threading a few times, but find that waxing works better for me. I don't find waxing or threading painful. I have really never tried waxing anywhere but my brows, but I think it must be pretty painful in the bikini area and don't think I want to try it!

ladyboarder9669
elite
2 years, 8 months ago
Luckily I have blonde hair so this has never been a problem with me

I know my sister waxes her mustache and around her side burn area. I can't ever see her facial hair. She does a good job with the waxing and does it quite frequently. I wax my own eyebrows about every other week after seeing how she does it.

evet
allstar
2 years, 8 months ago
Facial hair

I don't have a lot of facial hair, and I do take care of stray brow hairs by plucking.  In fact, I think my next investment will be for a plucker that works better. I happen to lose things that work all the time.    I, in fact wish my brow hairs were thicker.  I used to use a powder for my brows, but now have not bothered.  I do also pluck above my lips, because even though it is hardly noticeable, it is just something I have done in the past years. 

gretchkal
2 years, 8 months ago
Facial hair removal

I'm 35 years old and have dark facial hair which has become increasingly visible over the last 5 years. I have alway handled my own facial hair removal because I can't bring myself to talk it with people I barely know. Everyone has eyebrows so I'm not embarrassed about going to a salon for an eyebrow wax or having them threaded but I am never comfortable discussing hair on my upper lip or on my chin with strangers. Heck, I've never even talk about it with my doctor. Women aren't supposed to have moustaches and chin-stubble! LOL I usually shave a couple of times a week or pluck some of the nastier hairs. I've tried depilitories too and find the they aren't as cost effective. 

MED401
insider
2 years, 8 months ago
facial hair

I have sensitive skin so the one time I tired a depilatory was a disaster.  I ended up with inflamed red areas on my face.  Are there any depilatories for sensitive skin?  As of now I am making due with plucking the black hairs I have but I'd rather have another solution.  My skin is also too sensitive for waxing.

elainegreenberg
2 years, 8 months ago
facial hair removal

Lip and chin hair is embarrassing and difficult to deal with. Laser hair removal is often the best option.

tiffany_marie_gaal
2 years, 8 months ago
A word on eyebrows, and some lip

I have only ever really done upkeep on my eyebrows starting in middle school. They are thin, but the hairs are long and I have a lovely Scottish unibrow situation. I started tweezing, and then I waxed my own, and now I typically get them waxed by someone else. I have also tried threading. Here's what I have learned.

Waxing > Tweezing - both give you a neat shape and pull hair out by the root and I would say the pain factor is approximately equal, but waxing, whether done at home or at a salon, also gets rid of the tiny translucent hairs surrounding your eyebrows. For some reason this just makes the shape look so much cleaner and structures the face better in my opinion. It is those tiny hairs that when you do not remove them you do not notice them, and people won't be able to tell (there is no wierd bald looking area) it just looks miraculously cleaner and more defined. I also find waxing to be much quicker.

Pro > You - you may be an old hat at home waxing and are great at recognizing the natural shape of your eyebrows and removing it accordingly, but I find professional waxing saves me a lot of time and mess. I also feel like many times someone who isn't you is able to evauate your face and its needs better than you simply because you are so used to looking at it. My eyebrows never looked bad when I did them, but I feel like the pro version is just slightly better. They also typically have better wax and lovely soothing after-products I wouldn't buy on my own

Threading - hurts. So do waxing and tweezing, but for me threading was awful and the results seemed identical to waxing. With waxing there is the rip and then I feel a sort of buzzing/numbing after feeling. With threading it was like I could feel each hair popping out of its follicle - like tweezing on steroids. It was unpleasant. I would say there was a slight reduction in post-treatment redness but not enough to warrant the pain.

I have considered doing something with my upper lip but never did. I am thankful that I do not have too dark or coarse hair in that area but my natural hair color is almost black and my skin is so white it could be translucent so I am wondering if maybe I should try it so get that 'you don't see it till its gone' effect I found with the clear hairs around my eyebrows. I would like to hear more about this...

Carly48
2 years, 8 months ago
Yes, quite a concern.

I only had an occasional, under the chin, hair until the dreaded menopause. Now I have almost a mustache and miscellaneous other hairs growing crazily.

I have a light complexion and am blond, so all but a few hairs are light. But, who wants a foo-mancho mustache period. So I pluck, sometimes if in a hurry, I just take scissors on my cheek hair til I can get to more serious removal later.

Have not waxed or threaded because I am afraid it will come back worse. Got Tweezerman tweezers and always carry a pair in my purse in case I see a (scream) long hair at the chin or lip.

mbeymer
2 years, 8 months ago
Facial Hair

I have baby blonde brows/lashes and red hair and fair skin. I get my brows groomed every 3-4 weeks which includes brow tints. Shaping my brows correctly and tinting to my hair shade makes them look fuller and more defined and gives a nice frame to my face, more definition to my features. I found that even cleaning up my blonde fuzz of a unibrow in between my brows gives my face a cleaner look. I now get a full face threading every 4-5 weeks, while my facial hair, side burns and moustache are all blonde/white it does give a cleaner, sleeker appearance when kept clear. I can tweeze at home for up keep but have found that the professionals do a better and quicker job and I am less prone to break outs post-removal the if I do it myself. I have better luck with threading, less pain and redness than waxing which has at times resulted in removed skin with a less experiences aesthetician. I always thought I wouldnt have to be as concerned with facial hair as women with darker hair but have found that some grooming is necessary.

Welcome to TotalBeauty.com!
Ready to unleash your inner beauty junkie? Enter your email and check the boxes below to get free samples, exclusive deals, discounts at Total Beauty Shops, and expert beauty tips delivered straight to your inbox!
Email to a friend