Home » Community » Message Boards » Get Healthy » Do You Use Tanning Beds?

Discussion

Do You Use Tanning Beds?

tanning-salon-secrets-02.jpg
Despite the bazillion health risks, do you still go to tanning salons? Would you consider yourself a "tanorexic"? Tell us why you can't give it up and see why you should here. You'll be surprised...

Subscribe
Notifiy me with emails too

10 Replies

DevranM
insider
2 years, 8 months ago
Re: Do You Use Tanning Beds?

I'm going to be honest... I was a tanorexic. (Insert embarassed face here). Over the past 5-6 years I have been obsessed with being tan... even if that meant enduring health risks. I never liked the way I looked with paler skin (I have olive skin, so in summer I get extremely brown and in winter I get a pale, yellowy color). I felt that I looked healthier with more color, especially on my face and chose to not only tan OUTSIDE, but also in tanning beds.

Having skin cancer run in my family, I finally realized that the tanning beds were an absolutely HORRIBLE idea and tried to find alternatives. I hated the smell of the self-applied fake tanning products and wasn't a huge fan of mystik... and then I found airbrushing. The first experience I had with airbrushing was amazing (besides awkwardly standing without clothes on in front of a stranger). The woman spraying me used only organic ingredients for the tan and the color lasted a good week and a half. It was a little frustrating not being able to shower after she airbrushed me (yes I was a little smelly from the product), but definitely a lot SAFER than intense UV exposure in a tanning bed. 

I think it's ok to want to have some color if it makes you feel more confident; however, I don't think it's worth it while risking your health. To those tanorexics out there -- My advice to you is to find a healthy alternative! It's still ok to moderately be exposed to sun, just make sure you are using a good SPF on your face and body. 

TracyTB
allstar
2 years, 8 months ago

Sadly I bought and used 20 tanning salon sessions in highschool. I foolishly assumed that since I was half Honduran (despite having fair/olive skin) I could handle the suns rays. I'm now 27 and I just had my first mole removed. The results came back questionable but bengin and now I have to get my moles checked every six months (I have many of them thanks to my father's German heritage).

So far everything looks okay, but I am regretting those tanning salon days and those days where I would just bake in the sun.  NOT WORTH IT! 

I just returned from a Mexican vacation and there was not a single day I spent in the without wearing a large hat and plenty of sunscreen. 

ladyboarder9669
elite
2 years, 8 months ago
I use to use them all the time til I witnessed skin cancer up close

I used them religiously as a teenager and in college. I loved going in the middle of the cold winter and feeling the warm on my skin. I think I was a bit addicted to how it felt, as well as people telling me how tan i was. I NEVER used sunblock and was always trying to get as dark as possible. Then about 5 years ago one of my family friends got skin cancer. She showed me her back where the mole was removed. She was only about 7 years older then me and it was a real wake up call. AFter that I vowed to never step foot in a tanning bed again and I haven't. I didn't bother to use sunblock religiously until about 2 years ago when I had my first sun spots pop up. Now I wear it everyday.

lebarron1
insider
2 years, 8 months ago
Tanning beds

I don't use tanning beds,i don' think they are safe for one think and they are not good for your skin either.

LipglossandSpandex
BLOGGER
2 years, 8 months ago
Yes :(

I just started using them because my gym has free tanning!

MorningGloryD
2 years, 8 months ago
When Tanning Might Be Okay

I have some moderate psoriasis. Psoriasis responds well to UVB light. There really isn't a whole lot you can do to 'cure' it, although there are immunosuppresant medications and also creams containing coaltar. Those treatments can be carcenogenic. This skin condition has a probability of leading to skin cancer already. Really, all things considered, moderate UVB exposure sounds a lot better than just living with it, taking meds that shut down your immune system or slathering coal tar. Plus tanning makes you look better.

MrsFrosty226
insider
2 years, 6 months ago
NO!!!!!

I have accepted that I am fair skinned and will always be.  Tanning in a bed or under the sun puts you at risk for skin cancer and will accelerate aging in your skin.  I work too hard to keep my skin nice and my body healthy to tan and ruin all of it.  Embrace your natural skin color!

Supernaturalfan
insider
2 years, 6 months ago

I agree with Mrs. Frosty!  NO!!!!!  I already have so much sun damage from when I used to sunbathe in the SUN, which is just as bad or worse!  I was a teenager then, and they say it takes DECADES for the damage to show.  They are right.  I'll be 50 this year, and the damage started appearing in my 40's.  Brown spots, uneven coloring, etc.  I now wear sunblock every day, cover up a lot, (even if it's hot), and wear a hat when I'm in the sun.  Tanning, be it in the sun or on tanning beds, was popular then.  I hated being fair and wanted a tan to look more athletic & attractive!

The sun boosts your mood, and is good for a lot of other living things, like plants.  But it's horrible to your skin. Surprised It even dried out the vinyl on the dashboard of a car I used to have!  And that's VINYL.  Think what it does to your skin.  I now have a cover for my DASHBOARD even, LOL.

So I avoid the sun and anything that gives out UV type rays.

LadySara
insider
2 years, 6 months ago

I use to when I was a teenager , and I regret it! Its very dangerous and really damaging to the skin so I gave it up about  6 years ago and couldnt be happier! Im embracing my natural skin color now ( I am lebanese) so im not the palest but not naturally tanned either, thats why I use to go so much. 

Sun exporse to a limit is bebeficial because of the synthesis of Vitamin D, which plays a role in  the absorption of Vitamin C in the body. Still, sunscreen must be a ritual!

dianapol
2 years, 5 months ago

I think its not safe for the sensitive skin.

Welcome to TotalBeauty.com!
Ready to unleash your inner beauty junkie? Enter your email and check the boxes below to get free samples, exclusive deals, discounts at Total Beauty Shops, and expert beauty tips delivered straight to your inbox!
Email to a friend