Home » Community » Message Boards » » What's the WORST beauty advice your mom ever gave you?

Discussion

What's the WORST beauty advice your mom ever gave you?

Hi Ladies,

We're working on a story and want YOUR input. Did your mom every give you bad beauty advice? We won't hold it against you or her, but we want to hear what it was and your experience.

Did you ignore it? Did you try it and have a terrible experience?  Please share!

Subscribe
Notifiy me with emails too

17 Replies

volta
elite
2 years, 9 months ago
Re: What's the WORST beauty advice your mom ever gave you?

"Don't remove your facial hair. It'll grow back thicker like a man." 

As if! I kind of chuckled at that. She's Swedish so she doesn't have it that bad. My other half is Italian, and those genes dominate in me, so I definitely need to remove unwanted hair on a regular basis or face the cruel stereotype of the hairy Italian woman. 

ladyboarder9669
elite
2 years, 9 months ago
Its not the advice she gave me but the advice she didn't...

I don't ever remember hearing to wear sunblock as a child... I think she would bring it up on those long vacations where we would be out in the sun all day, but thats about it... I think she kind of left it up to us too, which mean I just didn't wear it...

Supernaturalfan
insider
2 years, 9 months ago

Same as Ladyboarder in a way....I remember my mom being more vigilant about avoiding the sun when I was still in my teens AND still sunbathing. Surprised She started wearing long sleeves and a big hat a lot when outside, but she never told me why or told me to do it (not that I'd listen at THAT age, LOL)  Now, I have sun damage that took decades to show up.

In all fairness, none of us knew the dangers of the sun back then that we know now.  I mean, it wasn't heavily publicized.  I don't know how she heard of the dangers of sun exposure.

Also, she said not to wash my hair or take a shower if I'm sick with a cold or flu; she said it would make me sicker, esp. if I stayed up and didn't go to bed right away.  This sounds like old superstition that was passed down through generations or something.  On a related subject, "Never eat or drink dairy if you have a cough.  It will get worse."  Not true.  What I eat or drink doesn't impact a cough!  LOL

When I was a kid, she made me rinse my hair with water that had vinegar in it.  Ugh!  She said it gets the soap residue out, but we didn't use soap.  Shampoo didn't always exist, and that probably comes from the days when people used soap to wash their hair.  Of course, I ignored this as I got older.  Rinsing well should get the shampoo out.

maria_longfellow
insider
2 years, 9 months ago

Oh totally! When I was a teen and had disastrously frizzy hair, she said it's because I play with it too much and that conditioners were no good and to not use them. Wrong! And when I whined too much, she would break out the ironing board and the iron and IRON my hair flat. I'll be honest, it was so nice and stick straight (a relief from frizzy hair), but of course I had to chop all of my dead hair off after a month of this routine.

MangoJuce
2 years, 9 months ago
Colors

Growing up my mom always told me that I only look good in white or pastel color clothes. I went through years thinking that I could not wear any other color. While my wardrobe has tons of white and pastel color clothes, I've learnt that I can wear different colors that can highlight my complexion and flatter my overall look. She also told me that I don't have a face for sunglasses. Boy was she worng. I just have to find the right shape, shade and color for me. Just like my clothes. She meant well and I love her to death.

volta
elite
2 years, 9 months ago

OH! And my mom uses rubbing alcohol when she gets dry skin on her legs. *facepalm* She used to do that to me too when I was a kid, and I didn't have a choice if I got a rash. 

I keep telling her that's only making it worse and what to do about it, but she's so stubborn. 

JanieTB
insider
2 years, 9 months ago

I have freckles, and my mom ALWAYS told me to wear thick foundation to cover them up, so I've always been self-conscious about them. She took me to get a few removed (the pain was NOT worth it), and even now, she comments on how I need to hide my freckles better every time I see her. But of course now I realize that she's the only one who seems to think that way.

WhitneyScott
insider
2 years, 9 months ago
the worst advice my mom gave me?

To wear lipstick. She's from the south and believes that everyone needs to wear lipstick all the time. I HATE LIPSTICK and never wear it. Is that because she wanted me to and I rebelled? Or do I really just hate it?

That's one for the shrink...

SShum
insider
2 years, 9 months ago

I'm not if my mother gave me this advice to discourage me from using makeup or if she genuinely believed it, but she used to tell me all the time that wearing shimmery/glittery eyeshadow was going to get into my eye and blind me. I think I believed her for a couple of years in middle school before I decided it was ridiculous, and that I'm not the type of person to wear glitter eyeshadows anyway. Plus IF I decided to wear glitter now, there are primers out there specifically formulated for this fall-out problem. 

scarrillo
insider
2 years, 9 months ago

In high school, I had terrible acne. My mom suggested trying a method that had worked for her friend in high school: not washing your face, just rinsing with water. Now that I know more about skin I can see why it worked for her friend (who was over-drying her face and needed to let it rebalance), but it only made my skin way worse. Finally, she wised up and took me to a dermatologist, thank goodness!

Welcome to TotalBeauty.com!
Ready to unleash your inner beauty junkie? Enter your email and check the boxes below to get free samples, exclusive deals, discounts at Total Beauty Shops, and expert beauty tips delivered straight to your inbox!
Email to a friend