Home » Community » Message Boards » Ask an Expert » Starting to break out, skin starting to dry out. Whats the cause + solution?

Discussion

Starting to break out, skin starting to dry out. Whats the cause + solution?

Hi, i'm not sure if im posting this in the right place, but here goes..

I'm a teen, and lately, after moving to a new (messier/dirtier) place, i have been breaking out like crazy! I started trying to treat it with salicylic acid (Clean&Clear invisible blemish treatment). Though it normally works like magic on small breakouts at my old place, here, it was useless.. After, I started using Tazorac (tazortene cream 0.05%). To be honest, im not even sure its for acne, but my mom got it from her doctor. I then googled it, and found out it is for acne, but anyways. After using it for a couple nights/days, my acne cleared up, so it isnt as bad, but it made my skin drier than usual. Now, I have skin that hurts when i try to put regular lotion on, and is oily during the day. 

I was wondering if im doing anything wrong, what i could do for my acne, and any miracle dry skin creams. Thanks! 

Subscribe
Notifiy me with emails too

6 Replies

aly7
elite
2 years, 9 months ago
Re: Starting to break out, skin starting to dry out. Whats the cause + solution?

I think you should probably stop using the Tazorac. Alhough it cleared up your acne, your skin is way to dry.  Sometimes, when you move the different air will have a different first affect on your skin. After a little while, it should calm down.

My advice is to try to switch up your skin care routine. Below, I  think I covered everything!

1 Wash off your makeup as normal with a makeup remover cloth. These will  be more gentle on your skin.

2 Exfoliate your skin twice a week, this will buff of the bad skin which could eventually clog pores. Try- Clean and Clear Morning Burst $8

3 Wash your face twice a day Try- Clean and Clear Finishes Even Tone Cleanser

4 Apply any spot treatment for acne. Try- Mixing yeast with a little wwater for a nice, natrual alternative.

6 Next, apply toner. This will moisturize your skin. Try- Bliss Daily Detoxifying Facial Toner $26

7 Last, apply moisturizer. Try- Clean and Clear Finishes Pore Perfecting Moisturizer

I hope this helped:) Good luck, hope your skin feels better soon!

CaroleVonAllten
elite
2 years, 9 months ago
Acne and lotion

I suggest you see a dermatologist who can recommend whatever kind of moisturizer you should use.  Call the AMA in your area to get a referral, or talk to your primary care physician who might be able to help or at least give you a referral.  Where did you move from and too?  I live in Albuquerque, and it is extremely dusty, gritty and dry.  I use 4 different moisturizers, but I am older and not prone to breaking out.  Good luck!

Carole VonAllten

volta
elite
2 years, 9 months ago
Re: Starting to break out, skin starting to dry out. Whats the cause + solution?

Yes I agree with the others. Discontinue use if it's really irritating your skin and go back to your dermatologist. If drying continues, request a lower strength (if possible) or use less frequently. 

Also, wash/change your pillowcases frequently! You'd be surprised how those are a haven for bacteria and oil that can affect your skin. If you can't change then every other day, I recommend putting a clean dry towel over them every night. It seriously works! 

juliefork
2 years, 9 months ago
Dry Skin w/Acne

I know that is such an uncomfortable combination to have dry skin with acne.  Have you tried Differin?  It's much milder than other prescription retinoids.  A plus to using retinoids is not only good for acne but for aging, too.  I know you're in your teens, but it's never too early to start preventative maintenance when it comes to aging.  Have you tried a moisterizer with glycolic acid?  I'm using Image Skincare's Ageless Total Repair Cream at night.  This has helped my acne, blackheads, and with sun damage.  I am extremely oily (and consuming sugar only exacerbates the problem), with hormonal acne so I could see where this might be a bit drying for your skin type.  You could layer on top of that (or any other glycolic lotion/cream) a hydrating cream (I use Image's Vital C Hydrating Repair Cream and switch other nights with Image's Ormedic Balancing Bio Peptide cream for added moisture).  I have been using the Image line for about a month now and I love it!  But you do have to purchase through an MD, ARNP, or esthetician.  Compared to other high end brands I feel the line is very cost effective yet it has amazing ingredients.  I also agree with the poster who recommended changing your pillow case frequently.  This can really help.  Of course, wiping down your phone, too.  Also - NO PICKING!!  (I'm a picker...shhhh.)  Using a sunscreen is vital, too.  I have also used jojoba oil and my skin really likes this.  Many women who have acne have used jojoba successfully.  Good luck to you! 

juliefork
2 years, 9 months ago
Re:

Another thought is many women have used birth control to help regulate their skin.  This worked for me when I was younger, but I developed a blood clot so I can no longer use hormone therapy.  Being on birth control is very serious, but you may want to talk to your MD about it to get an opinion. 

LipglossandSpandex
BLOGGER
2 years, 8 months ago
If your skin hurts, stop using Tazorac, or use it every other day.

Also, since you're moving to a messier/dirtier place, you're probably a little stressed, which may be the cause of your breakouts. I have acne, and it gets worse when I'm stressed. Maybe get a different facial moisturizer also--sometimes they have alcohol in it, and that can burn on damaged skin.

Welcome to TotalBeauty.com!
Ready to unleash your inner beauty junkie? Enter your email and check the boxes below to get free samples, exclusive deals, discounts at Total Beauty Shops, and expert beauty tips delivered straight to your inbox!
Email to a friend