Home » Community » Message Boards » Everything Makeup » Eyeshadow or Colored Eyeliner?

Discussion

Eyeshadow or Colored Eyeliner?

Growing up I was all about eyeshadow. I still wear it now and then. Lately though I've just been using eyeliner on my lids instead (brown, charcoal and sometimes teal). I like it much better than eyeshadow ... I feel like it defines my eyes more so.

I am curious what everyone prefers ... are you a shadow or liner girl ... or are you both?

Subscribe
Notifiy me with emails too

17 Replies

CaroleVonAllten
elite
2 years, 9 months ago
Eyeshadow or colored eyeliner

If you use a good primer on your lids, like Too Faced or Urban Decay, your eyeshadow will stay put.  I think using eyeliner on lids pulls the tender eye lid skin too much, which will result in sagging.  Benefit also makes "Lemonaide" which reduces redness on lids and acts as a good primer.  I use eyeliner to line my under lids and add powder shadow over it with an angled brush.

katprincess
insider
2 years, 9 months ago
Shadow girl

Sadly, i can't wear eyeliner. Everytime i do wear it, i look like a raccoon. Frown I stick to soft shadows instead, since i try to lean towards natural looks.

volta
elite
2 years, 9 months ago
Re: Eyeshadow or Colored Eyeliner?

I like them both, but I switch depending on the time of day and/or occasion. A lot of times I like to wet an angled liner brush and line my eyes with wet shadow for an intense and more colorful line if I feel like going for a more fun look. I own a lot of colored liquid eyeliner already, but sometimes I'd prefer to use a color that I wouldn't be able to find in a liquid form, so I use shadow. 

addkg777
allstar
2 years, 9 months ago
Eye liner definately

It makes my eyes pop

evet
allstar
2 years, 8 months ago
Eyeliner is a must

If you have short eyelashes, glasses, and smaller eyes, then eyeshadow won't matter quite as much as eyeliner.  I go for deep purple because it  brings out brown eyes, whereas brown disappears on me.  I will use other colors too, on my upper lid if I am not in a rush.  If I look in the mirror without eyeliner, there is more of a difference.  I think more people are into mascara than eyeshadow and I don't get that.  I do not like mascara as much due to, it may smear, run when you tear, and does not show up as much on me too.   I guess if you have light eyelashes it may really change your look, but on me, I choose the eyeliner first.  And yes, some of them (lighter colors) look great in eyeshadow techniques too. 

ladyboarder9669
elite
2 years, 8 months ago
Eyeshadow for sure. I'm really not the biggest fan of eyeliner.

saifai
insider
2 years, 8 months ago

I usually use eye shadow as a liner. I get my eyeliner brush wet and swirl it around in the shadow (though there are products out there that you can use in place of water that make it stay longer). Usually I'll use an angled brush to take a bit of that shade across my lash line to smudge it a bit, then wet my liner brush in that same shade to give it a bit of definition.

Coconutvanilla7
insider
2 years, 7 months ago
Eyeshadow

I like eyeshadow better bc I have light hair, eyes, & skin and lighter stuff just looks better on me. Eyeliner always ends up looking too dark.

Supernaturalfan
insider
2 years, 7 months ago

I use both, depending on what I feel like at the moment.  I can only use pencils as eyeliner, not the "true" (liquid) liner stuff.  I don't have a steady enough hand for that.  I do think eyeliner (pencil or liquid) defines the eyes more, and since I sometimes wear glasses, I think they bring out my otherwise "invisible" eyes.

The eye pencils I use now (Sephora Hello Kitty Charmmy Kohl eye pencils) are soft enough in texture that they could double as eyeshadow.  I use shadow over it to help it stay put.

bwlblog
insider
2 years, 6 months ago
I say both!

I wear both, but it depends on the look. I am playing around with colored eyeliner right now. It is so pretty and really makes your eyes pop. I have green eyes so I am trying a purple gel liner...

Welcome to TotalBeauty.com!
Ready to unleash your inner beauty junkie? Enter your email and check the boxes below to get free samples, exclusive deals, discounts at Total Beauty Shops, and expert beauty tips delivered straight to your inbox!
Email to a friend