Home » Community » Message Boards » Everything Makeup » Calling all curly haired girls!

Discussion

Calling all curly haired girls!

As most of us curly haired girls know our hair drys up faster then water in sand. Don't get me wrong, it's not like my hair automatically dries when I get out of the shower, it stays wet and when I say it stays wet I mean it. There's no blow drying this stuff. But no matter how much conditioner I use and hairspray, it frizzes! and puffs out and the only thing I can do is put more and more product in it. I know you feel my pain and maybe only a flat iron will help, but please share what works for you, it will really help Smile.

Subscribe
Notifiy me with emails too

12 Replies

suzanne_williamsonharano
2 years, 9 months ago
Curly Hair

What works for me is to only wash my hair once a week, but to condition everyday. I use the conditioner in the shower and then rinse it out, but put another tablespoon in my hair after and leave it in. Good Luck!

PPolished
insider
2 years, 8 months ago
Re: Calling all curly haired girls!

I have really wavy hair and I find the less product, the better it looks. I always put mousse in it to give it some hold. I like Herbal Essenses (cheap at any drugstores and can usually find it on sale) or Warren-Tricomi (get mine on eBeauty.ca, the Canadian site). Put it in yourhands, rub them together until the mousse turns into liquid then scrunch through your hair. This is often all I'll do but it you want more body, use a diffuser on your blowdryer. Sort of hold it at the bottom and push your curls up to your head and heat. It looks awesome and doesn't take long.

ALSO as someone already mentioned, do NOT wash your hair every day. Not only is it bad for you, curls/waves almost always look better the second day!!! (unless you use the diffuser...it's often amazing looking for one day, haha).

I've never really tried any of the curl enhanching shampoos but that's always an option if any of the other ideas don't work for you.

SophieT
insider
2 years, 8 months ago
Re: calling all curly haired girls!

I totally agree with the limited washing of hair! I basically try to go as long as possible (sometimes almost a week!) I'm lucky that my hair never really looks greasy. Also, when I shampoo, I make sure not to use it so heavily on the ends. I mainly just work the roots really well. And try not to use products that have alcohol in them, because those really dry hair out. 

aly7
elite
2 years, 8 months ago

Washing your hair 2-3 times a week really helps! Also, try a serum or  an oil to make curls softer and less frizzy. I really like the John Freida Extra Stregnth hair serum, and it you want to spend a bit more- Argan Oil is amazing!

saifai
insider
2 years, 8 months ago

I find the weather and humidity plays a part in my routine, but I've got it down to a science for my fine ultra-curly hair. In this super humid hot weather my hair tends to be frizzier than normal, so here's what I'm currently doing. I'll put in either olive oil or conditioner in my hair about 15 minutes before I wash it. I wash and condition like normal. I'll then add in leave-in conditioner and style like normal. I will use a deep conditioner maybe once a week or so.

Here's the thing though, i don't wash it every day. It dries it out too bad. I'll fully wash my hair no more than every other day (though usually less). To keep my curls looking fresh though, I'll just get it wet and use conditioner in it (almost) like normal.

For styling, I'll use a moisturizing styling creme or gel (one made for frizzy curly hair works fine too). I usually add a bit of frizz serum or oil to the ends, and also run it over any stubbornly frizzy hair.

When my hair is looking a bit limp, but still looking as frizzy as ever, I'll do a clarifying treatment. There's shampoos for that you can use, but I'll usually just mix up some warm water with baking soda and brush it into my hair (with a big paint brush). I'll then wrap it in a shower cap and leave it in for about ten minutes, then rinse it out. I'll wash and condition like normal after that.

crazygirl21
insider
2 years, 5 months ago

Thank you everyone for your help :)

btw2335
2 years, 5 months ago
Curly stuff...

Moisture Moisture Moisture! I airdry most of the time to avoid frizz, and only blow dry when I straighten it. Also it helps to not over wash your hair . I conditioner wash, use a non sulfate shampoo weekly, and clarify as needed since my curls get weighed down easily. I love Argan oil and Macadamia nut oil too. The cheap LA Looks gel is great for hold -and it's dirt cheap! The key to curls is moisture. I avoid alcohol since it is drying. I use Tresemme Naturals, and  Biolage conditioning balm.(HG) Mix honey with conditioner for a weekly deep conditioner- and its amazing for shine as well as moisturizing!Kiss

GlitzyGal
2 years, 5 months ago

I have found doing Hot oil treatment helped me out tremendously!!! Read this article on Philip B. Rejuvenating Oil Review

Curly hair needs oils to help with the frizzies!!! Good Luck!!!

knennstiel
2 years, 4 months ago

Unfortunately,there is not one easy answer for all curly haired girls.  You don't mention the texture of your hair.  Texture will determine the best types of hair products to use.  If you are like me with fine, thin hair, products with a liquid texture such as sprays and mousses seem to work best.  I have discovered recently that the key to fairly frizz-free curls it turning my head upside down, applying the products and scrunching.  I then flip my head up and let the curls fall into place with minimal touching.  I used to scrunch while diffusing the hair, but no longer do that.  My current favorite products are John Freida Frizz Ease Dream Curls followed by Salon Grafix Curl Boosting Spray.  The Curl Boosting Spray is like a light-weight mousse.  I find it better to spray the foam into my hand and then apply to the hair.  Otherwise, it will go everywhere.  When my hair is almost dry, I spritz lightly with a spray gel (I like Tresemme Flawless Curls) to set everything into place.

estelle_collins
2 years, 3 months ago
every day ringlets!

Hey I'm not sure what u have tried, but I get compliments on my curls a lot, they do take some work, but if I want PERFECT curls, I only condition most days, but 2 days before an event, I shampoo...

Then, when I get out of the shower, the ends get treated with some flexible mouse, usually treseme, its inexpensive, but to really play up the volume, when the hair is 60% dry I flip my head upside down n dry out the roots with a hair dryer! I know they say don't do it! only till the roots themselves are dry, and take the front pieces and train them in place with a smoothing cream, like for staritening, this helps the frizz on the top layer, (secret--- the frizz on the lower layers will make your hair stand more full and appear thicker if long) use it to your advantage when upstyling! I absolutely love my curls! 

don't forget all those girls would kill for as much texture and body as our hair gives naturally! It seems like a process, but for a big event, there's usually time to let the hair dry while u iron, polish your shoes, or do makeup! if u put pruduct on the roots it will weigh them down! 

Estellle girl 

www.marykay.com/estelllegirl

visit my website and have a virtual makeover for free! 

free samples and free shipping available 

Welcome to TotalBeauty.com!
Ready to unleash your inner beauty junkie? Enter your email and check the boxes below to get free samples, exclusive deals, discounts at Total Beauty Shops, and expert beauty tips delivered straight to your inbox!
Email to a friend