Home » Community » Message Boards » » Is a Diffuser Necessary?

Discussion

Is a Diffuser Necessary?

A curly-haired Total Beauty recently inquired: 

"Do I really need a diffuser or can I just use my blow dryer on the lowest setting". Editor Jane will follow up diffuse the situation and provide this much needed answer. 

Subscribe
Notifiy me with emails too

4 Replies

DevranM
insider
2 years, 10 months ago
Re: Is a Diffuser Necessary?

This is such a great question.... I used to use a diffuser for my curls, but now I just put the hair dryer setting to low. I try not to move the curls around too much while drying (mostly to add some volume at the very top of my head). I don't put heat on the ends of my curls either. Personally, I don't see THAT much of a difference between the diffuser and the low setting. 

JanieTB
insider
2 years, 10 months ago

Great question!

If you REALLY don't want to buy a diffuser, using your blow dryer on the lowest setting will work.

However, a diffuser is made to distribute the heat through your hair, and this means you'll get less frizz from your natural curls. But as long as you continue to rotate the blow dryer as you dry, you'll get the same results.

More importantly, though, you want to invest in good styling products for curly hair (like Ouidad products, which are created JUST for you). That will make more of a difference than whether you use a diffuser or blow dryer.

Hope that helps!

CaroleVonAllten
elite
2 years, 10 months ago
Re: Is a diffuser necessary for curly hair

Yes.  After you wash your hair. slightly run a wide tooth comb through your hair.  Then bend over with your hair facing floor, and hold dryer with diffuser on your hair at the same time you are scrunching the curl into your hair.  DO NOT COMB WHEN DRY, OR IT WILL BE FRIZZY.  This works for me with hair that's straight in front and curly in back.  Use pick to pick out volume and height.

scarrillo
insider
2 years, 10 months ago

You could also just let your hair air dry. I can tell the difference when I blow dry with a diffuser or without, but I don't see a huge difference between the diffuser and air drying. (I just don't always have the time to let my hair dry naturally!)

Welcome to TotalBeauty.com!
Ready to unleash your inner beauty junkie? Enter your email and check the boxes below to get free samples, exclusive deals, discounts at Total Beauty Shops, and expert beauty tips delivered straight to your inbox!
Email to a friend