Home » Community » Message Boards » » Question About Covering Gray Roots

Discussion

Question About Covering Gray Roots

Just got this question submitted from a Total Beauty reader:

"When covering gray roots do I need to put the dye all over my whole head?"

Our editor Anna will give us the scoop on this pressing hair question.

Subscribe
Notifiy me with emails too

4 Replies

anna_jimenez
insider
2 years, 10 months ago
Re: Question About Covering Gray Roots

Good question, especially since why go more when you can go less, right? Well, unfortunately when it comes to covering gray roots, your best bet to maintain even, all-over color, is to follow the directions on the box. Which means you will likely be covering your entire head -- first applying color to your roots for an extended period of time, and then to the rest of your head for a shorter period of time. It's recommended you do this to keep consistency and vibrancy in your color. Over a six week period (usually how long you wait before touching up roots), the ends of your hair could have changed color from what you had originally dyed it, meaning that if you applied dye only to your roots, the color could come out looking different from your ends. 

CaroleVonAllten
elite
2 years, 10 months ago
Covering gray roots

I have been coloring my hair myself for many years.  To cover roots, apply color to roots first, for about 2/3 of the time the instructions say. Then put the rest of the color on the rest of you hair for the remaining time.

It's called soap capping.  Otherwise your hair will break off if you don't do the rest of your hair for at least a short period of time. And like the other response, your hair color on the ends will look different than the roots.

Good luck!

Carole Von Allten

Supernaturalfan
insider
2 years, 10 months ago
Re: Question About Covering Gray Roots

Bobbi Brown highly recommended ColorMark in one of her books.  You can get it at a beauty supply store.  It is not as easy to apply as they make it sound, and it does wear off easily (unlike their claims) if you sweat as I found after going to the gym.

But it works decently enough in a pinch, when you don't have time to do any actual coloring.  It is sort of like a cross between a pencil & mascara wand.  It was about $20 when I got it last year I think.  I use it between salon visits or if I have to cancel the appointment for some reason.....then all those grays REALLY start coming in.  ColorMark comes in a wide variety of shades too.

tinapeat
2 years, 9 months ago
coloring hair/highlighting gray roots

my current hair color is light golden brown.  i have been coloring my hair now for several years and have been told that i have "dye resistant gray hair".  it almost seems a waste to color as it only lasts about 2 weeks before fading.  recently my neighbor highlighted my hair and well lets jut say she probably should have colored my hair first then highlighted it.  now my hair is probably 5 - 6 shades.  what i would like to ask out there is does anyone know what the best procedure for this would be? also any suggestion on best products to use for this.  it seemed like such an easy job to do however it looks like well lets just say it;s quite different!

Welcome to TotalBeauty.com!
Ready to unleash your inner beauty junkie? Enter your email and check the boxes below to get free samples, exclusive deals, discounts at Total Beauty Shops, and expert beauty tips delivered straight to your inbox!
Email to a friend