Home » Community » Message Boards » Ask an Expert » Light Makeup Suggestions for Hot and Humid Weather?

Discussion

Light Makeup Suggestions for Hot and Humid Weather?

Okay, the humidity is already starting up... I absolutely hate doing a "full makeup" look in the summer.  My makeup melts off my face within minutes and I'm one of those gals who sweat excessively (ugh, I know).  Anyway, any good suggestions for a very "light" makeup look and what department store products do you recommend? (Wal-mart, Rite Aid, etc.)  I'm especially interested in all-in-one products you can wear all over your face (on eyes, face, lips, etc.) and I'm looking for a good sweatproof/waterproof cover up... I generally have oily skin (T-zone) and I have blonde hair and dark blue eyes.  I look forward to hearing your feedback and suggestions!  Thanks, friends!

Subscribe
Notifiy me with emails too

10 Replies

volta
elite
2 years, 10 months ago
Re: Light Makeup Suggestions for Hot and Humid Weather?

I would try for a tinted moisturizer and then brushing on translucent setting powder. It's not exactly waterproof & sweat-proof, but it's a regimen that's easily to carry and apply on the go. Plus, the translucent powder does a decent job at absorbing and controlling oily shine. 

JanieTB
insider
2 years, 10 months ago

I also LOVE tinted moisturizer in the summer ... it gives such great, light coverage and totally evens out my skin tone, which is all I want. If you have a problem with your eyeshadow melting off (I know I do when it gets hot), make sure you apply an eyeshadow primer first. It really help, trust me. 

As for a multi-tasking product, I love Benefit's Benetint. It works on your cheeks, lids and lips! And there are some super natural colors that are perfect for summer.
http://www.sephora.com/browse/product.jhtml?id=P1272

Also -- blotting papers have been a lifesaver for me. I use them every hour in the summer, and it keeps me shine-free throughout the entire day. :)

CaroleVonAllten
elite
2 years, 10 months ago
Light makeup suggestions for hot and humid weather

I suggest you wash your face with a good product, use toner/astringent, then apply a very light moisturizer, like Aveeno.  Then use Bare Escentuals mineral powder. applied with a powder brush.  It is like wearing makeup because it has good coverage, and is light and does not melt because it is a mineral powder.  ULTA has an introductory kit that includes the basic mineral powder, mineral veil to highlight and a nice powder brush.  They also have  several colors of mineral powder blush.  I swear by these products.  Plus, to refresh your face throughout the day, go to Sephora and buy spray mist of Evian water.  It is divine when you feel hot and sweaty.  Plus it sets your makeup.

One last thing, you can make your own face spritzer by getting a small spray bottle, not too small, and put in distilled water along with many drops of your favorite essential oil.  I love citrus.  Shake it up, and keep it in the refrigerator and spray on your face for immediate refreshment on a hot, humid day.  Or you can carry it in your purse for immediate refreshment. 

Hope this helps!

Carole VonAllten

Sharon_Yi
insider
2 years, 10 months ago
Not to prime is a crime

The various makeup artists I've talked to about keeping your makeup on during the hotter months always say that the KEY is to PRIME. It seems like such an inconsequential step but priming really does help the foundation apply smoothly and stay on. Use a lightweight oil-free primer and to keep your makeup looking light, use a damp sponge to apply the foundation, which will even out the coverage. 

For eyes, stick to cream shadows and liquid liners, pencil will just smudge and fade and be icky. Also, make sure to use a waterproof formula for mascara so that it'll stay on despite the sweat. 

For a great multi-purpose makeup product that works on eyes, lips and cheeks, try Nars The Multiple, which comes in great colors that are perfect for summer. 

Finally, finish with translucent powder to keep your t-zone matte. I like Make Up For Ever Super Matte Loose Powder. 

And unfortunately, the only thing to keep the oil at bay after these steps is to blot blot blot. I swear by the Clean&Clear Oil Blotters. 

Gluck! 

dawnrager
allstar
2 years, 10 months ago
Thank you! Re: Light Makeup Suggestions for Hot and Humid Weather?

I appreciate all the tips, ladies!  I plan to check them out.  Thank you, friends!

aly7
elite
2 years, 10 months ago

In summer use a tinted moisture, waterproof mascara, tinted lip balm, a bronzer, and a neutral champagne eyeshadow(which are natuarl and add just a touch of shimmer)

Tinted Moisture- Covergirl Aqua Smoothers SPF 15 $6.50

Waterproof Mascara- Smashbox Bionic Mascara $18

Tinted Lip Balm- MAC Tinted Lip Conditioner SPF 15 in Petting Pink $14.50

Bronzer- Too Faced Pink Lepard Bronzing Powder $12.50

Neutral Eyeshadow- ULTA Eyeshadow in In the Buff $7

TracyTB
allstar
2 years, 10 months ago

My number one suggestion is to switch to a tinted moisturizer and stop using powders/foundations. I'm in love with tinted mineral moisturizer with SPF 30 from Juice Beauty

hollymackerel
insider
2 years, 10 months ago

I'm right there with you! I have combination skin and humid, southern summers don't take too kindly. I have yet to come across a good tinted moisturizer that doesn't melt off from the drugstore/department stores, but I do have another great, cheap solution for oily skin. I'm a sucker for pressed powder foundations!

It only comes in four shades (I have fair skin and the lightest shade matches well), but if you think you have a color match, try Physician's Formula Healthy Wear SPF 50 Powder Foundation ($14.50). It's the only lower-end pressed powder I know of that doesn't have any major flaws. The coverage straight out of the package is sheer, but buildable to medium. Out of habit, I usually do touch-ups at least twice a day (because I have to blot oil off my face) but I can go without. Physician's Formula claims it is water-resistant, and imo it does do a good job of holding up whenever you're in a sweat. However, it is definitely not waterproof and will not last long during a swim. The packaging is cute, but not ideal. Make sure to use a brush with it beacuse the included sponge sucks.

If you'd prefer a higher-quality powder, my favorite is Laura Mercier Mineral Pressed Powder SPF 15 ($35). This one comes in 7 shades (not bad for powder) and mine is Tender Rose. The coverage is medium and that's the most I could ever need so I haven't tried to build. When I do feel the need to touch up, it's never more than once in a day. This holds up wonderfully against sweat, oil, and water. It claims to be water-resistant as well and it's my makeup of choice for swimming. I can't dive in and expect it to stay, but it can take a few splashes without messing up. The packaging is simple, sleek, and fits its purpose. The sponge is okay but I still reccomend a brush.

My favorite combination product is MAKE UP FOR EVER's Aqua Cream ($22). I picked up shade 5 (a peachy pink with gold micro-glitters) and it lasts all day, pretty much no matter what you put it through, on cheeks and lips. If I could afford it, I'd definitely go back to purchase the eye color shades! Aqua Liner is also to be considered.

My favorite waterproof mascara is definitely Maybelline Full n' Soft Waterproof Mascara. There just isn't any flaw to it: it goes on well, holds up well in water, both lengthens & defines, doesn't flake, doesn't clump, and best of all, it's a steal at $7.

Hope I helped! Let us know what you find :)

magali_lagunas
2 years, 10 months ago
What i would wear

i would mositurizer with an spf 30, i just use a tinited mositurizer, then set my face with mac msf put on a little blush..try to avoid cream ones..because they tend to smear if not applied ocrrectly

tedoymisojos
2 years, 9 months ago

Mac Face & Body, Clinique powder foundation or Revlon skinmatching Makeup as base,

Concealer as needed

A light application of powder

Water resistant creme eyeshadow, or a lid primer with minimal eyeshadow on top

and creme/gel liner, or waterproof pencil 

:)

Welcome to TotalBeauty.com!
Ready to unleash your inner beauty junkie? Enter your email and check the boxes below to get free samples, exclusive deals, discounts at Total Beauty Shops, and expert beauty tips delivered straight to your inbox!
Email to a friend