Home » Community » Message Boards » Get Healthy » Eating Before AND After Working Out?

Discussion

Eating Before AND After Working Out?

Recently, I have become more interested in not only working out and going to the gym, but also how I should be eating directly before and after my workouts. I keep reading about various nutritionists saying eat this many calories before and this many after. Some say carbs before, some say protein after. I am an avid gym goer and want to up my exercise and diet regimen together because they do go hand in hand... and well, because bikini season is right around the corner! :)

Normally before I work out I will eat a snack - this might be an apple or banana with peanut butter. Since I tend to work out in the evenings, I will most likely eat dinner following the gym (my meals normally contain protein and some carbs).

Can anyone weigh in on the recommended calorie count & diet I should be following before and after my gym sessions?

Subscribe
Notifiy me with emails too

10 Replies

Tracyhep
insider
2 years, 10 months ago
Re: Eating Before AND After Working Out?

I was once told by a nutritionist that I should eat a banana (electrolytes) and a spoon of peanut butter after a good work out (protein).

lizw1943
2 years, 10 months ago
Eating before and after workout.

About 30 minutes before working out, I find that having a banana or other healthy carb item works well for me.  Since I usually try to workout just before lunch or dinner, I usually have a meal with a good source of protein such as chicken or fish along with plenty of green/orange veggies.  A friend who is a nutritionist at the local hospital told me once that the best carb to eat before a workout was a baked potato.  Of course, just a little low fat margerine, no sour cream or other high calorie toppings. The potato takes longer to digest than other carbs, giving you more energy for workouts that tend to be longer in duration.

Supernaturalfan
insider
2 years, 10 months ago

I work out in late afternoons, so I do like you & eat both before & after.  For lunch, I have fruit and a protein like chicken or tuna.  Also, I might have some crackers.  I found I cannot work out on an empty stomach; I need some kind of fuel first.  I also need to be hydrated, so I drink water before hand too.

I end up eating dinner about 1 1/2 hours after working out, and I just eat my regular dinner....nothing special on workout days.  Just whatever I was eating anyway.  Because I don't want to gain weight, I do watch calories & portions in general, but I don't eat a specific number of calories for lunch.  Since I eat the same type of things though, it usually works out to around the same number of calories.

Carbs is supposed to give you energy, protein a full feeling so you'll eat less.  I'd do whatever seems to give you more energy to work out, then eat what seems to recharge you.  For some people, eating protein first might work better.

beautyelements
2 years, 10 months ago
RE: Eating Before AND After Working Out?

I have always heard from various personal trainers and books that i have read that it is best to do your cardio first thing in the morning before you have breakfast and then have your breakfast withing 1/2 hour after your workout, this maximises fat burning ... I would assume this would translate to your evening workout/meal too.

much love

claire

xoxo

ThePolishedCowgirl
allstar
2 years, 10 months ago

I just started kickboxing at the gym and was finding that I have ZERO energy for my workout so I started eating a boiled egg before and then eating dinner about an hour after.  I also added Glutamene which helps with workout energy.

DevranM
insider
2 years, 10 months ago

Thanks for all the helpful tips everyone!

ladyboarder9669
elite
2 years, 10 months ago
I don't worry to much about eating right after a workout

I find if I had a strenuous workout, Im usually hungry right after. Otherwise, I only eat when I'm hungry. I do never work out on an empty stomach though. I use to but heard that its not so good for you. I"m not sure if thats true or not, but I feel like I get a better work out in after I've eaten something,

LipglossandSpandex
BLOGGER
2 years, 9 months ago
It depends.

I'd see a nutritionist if you are really wanting to take this seriously.  If your goal is weight loss, you need to look at your calories throughout the day, not just how many calories before and after your workout. There are many "calculators" online that can give you an estimated number of daily calories for your activity level.

It also depends on how hungry you are before/after a workout. If you get nauseous with too many or too few calories before or after a workout, you'll need to add/subtract calories from other meals. It also depends on how long/intense/frequent your workout sessions are.

JeanC7
insider
2 years, 9 months ago

The advice I keep reading is to take whey protein within an hour after exercise, to aid recovery, minimize muscle damage, and add muscle strength.  I like a new product Collagen Sport, which pairs collagen with whey isolate...even better for recovery. It stirs into water with a spoon, has no sugar and only 123 calories.

greenday
2 years, 4 months ago

well I guess small snacks before working out should be ok..

Welcome to TotalBeauty.com!
Ready to unleash your inner beauty junkie? Enter your email and check the boxes below to get free samples, exclusive deals, discounts at Total Beauty Shops, and expert beauty tips delivered straight to your inbox!
Email to a friend