Home » Community » Message Boards » » I have dandruff and colored hair ...

Discussion

I have dandruff and colored hair ...

Just got this question in from an anonymous Total Beauty reader ...

"I have dandruff and all the anti-dandruff shampoos I use seem to wash the color right out of my hair. What are my options?"

I've asked our editor Sharon to weight in on this itchy issue. 

Subscribe
Notifiy me with emails too

2 Replies

Sharon_Yi
insider
2 years, 10 months ago
Dear anonymous,

Unfortunately, there isn't a quick fix to this dilemma. Brad Johns, Color Director for Red Door Spas says, "all anti-dandruff shampoos cause color fading, because they are like a medicine for your scalp." He continues, "the only way to extend the life of any hair color is to use the right [color-formulated] shampoo and conditioner." Therefore, the only solution is to ask your doctor how long you need to use the anti-dandruff formula for and find out if there are other options for treating it, so that you can switch to color-protecting products. 

closed
2 years, 6 months ago

Hey!

I know what's like to suffer from that problem, dandruff sucks!

My scalp used to be verrrrry itchy, but since I've started using the right products I've noticed a lot of difference, my hair is way healthier now.

Dandruff can be caused by the shampoos that people use on their hair. You see, a lot of times, shampoos have a lot of sulfates, which are really bad chemicals for your hair's health. Sulfates can cause frizzy, dry hair and can contribute to color removal.. Not good for someone who put so many effort on coloring its hair. 

I suggest using a sulfate-free shampoo and if the reader who asked you this question can't find one just try to use a homemade made made of yogurt (and other nourishing stuff if he/she needs a little extra moisture). Yogurt is really good for treating dandruff. His/Her hair will be softer and healthier. Also, he/she should use a conditioner for colored hair (but I bet the reader already knew that.. Innocent). 

Hope it helped :)

Welcome to TotalBeauty.com!
Ready to unleash your inner beauty junkie? Enter your email and check the boxes below to get free samples, exclusive deals, discounts at Total Beauty Shops, and expert beauty tips delivered straight to your inbox!
Email to a friend