Home » Community » Message Boards » » How to get tight, corkscrew curls to loosen up so that hair is just wavy?

Discussion

How to get tight, corkscrew curls to loosen up so that hair is just wavy?

TB reader Amanda just submitted a question about "How to get tight, corkscrew curls to loose up so that her hair is just wavy?" I've asked Total Beauty editor Anna to weigh in and get to the bottom of this tight situation.

Subscribe
Notifiy me with emails too

1 Reply

annatotalbeauty
insider
2 years, 10 months ago
Re: How to get tight, corkscrew curls to loosen up so that hair is just wavy?

OK, just called over to the Oidad Salon to get the 411 on this curly question (I don't have naturally curly hair so needed some help). I was told that you basically have two options to get waves:

1) Heat styling. Sorry, but to get soft, flowing and frizz-free waves out of naturally tight curls, you're going to need to prep wet hair with a smoothing cream and then blow dry straight with a flat paddle brush. After blowdry, wrap two inch sections of hair around a large barreled curling iron and then brush through once curls are cooled. 

2) Rake and shake. Basically, "rake" a relaxing fluid onto wet hair and shake it out. This is the next best option for waves but they won't be as soft and frizz-free as heat styling. 

Welcome to TotalBeauty.com!
Ready to unleash your inner beauty junkie? Enter your email and check the boxes below to get free samples, exclusive deals, discounts at Total Beauty Shops, and expert beauty tips delivered straight to your inbox!
Email to a friend