Home » Community » Message Boards » Skin Central » oily skin

Discussion

oily skin

My skin is extremely oily and I need some secrets of how to get rid of all the oil. Any suggestions>

Subscribe
Notifiy me with emails too

11 Replies

scarrillo
insider
2 years, 11 months ago
Re: oily skin

My advice would be to use products made for oily skin, like a good cleanser and toner made for oily skin. I would also use a very light moisturizer. It may sound weird to put more moisture on your skin, but if you dry it out too much you'll actually cause your face to product more oil, making the whole situation worse.

I would also apply a mattifying product to any oily areas and during the day use blotting papers to soak up excess oil without messing up your makeup.

One last tip: don't skip your sunscreen! You may be tempted to because it makes your skin greasy, but don't. The sun can dry out your skin (again, causing it to produce more oil) and cause damage that you'll regret later on in life. Try a sunscreen that's non-greasy, like Neutrogena Sheer Dry Touch Sunscreen. Hope this helps!

msbrown822
allstar
2 years, 11 months ago

I agree with everything scarrillo said. She is 100% correct.

Dont' forget to drink plenty of water and keep your skin hydrated. But there is no way you are going to "get rid of all the oil". You have oily skin and that's just how its going to be. You have learn to work with it and keep it under control.  Keep oil blotting sheets with you to use through out the day, I like keep and oil absorbing powder with me to use if I have to, it also helps makeup remain fresh (if you wear makeup).

Remember trying to dry it out is only going to make it worse.

~a fellow sufferer of oily skin :)

CaroleVonAllten
elite
2 years, 11 months ago
Oily skin

I totally agree with the replies you have received.  They are really good solutions.  Also try a pressed mineral powder to cut down on the shine.  I am a portrait photographer and have run across photographing women with oily skin that tends to look really shiny.  A pressed powder gets rid of the oily appearance and shine.

LipglossandSpandex
BLOGGER
2 years, 11 months ago
What have you tried?

Some people have a lot of success with mattifying makeup primers. There are also lots of "shine control lotions" out there. A good foundation and blotting powder are also key in keeping oily skin at bay. MAC makes some good stuff in my opinion.

JadaMiranda
insider
2 years, 10 months ago

They said like attracts like.  I have read how extra virgin olive oil can change the skin from oily to normal.  I am doing it now and so far I'm amazed with the result.  I have acne on my jawline and it's slowly getting better.  It's been a month since I started using it.  I have added clay mask on my daily regimen.  It's Omorovicza Deep Cleansing Mask.  Feels clean after removing it.

skingod
2 years, 10 months ago
Oily Skin

Yes:You will need a Facial Wash for sensative skin non Foaming, Glycolic, Microscrub, or oatmeal mask (you can Make, Start here) and a good plan.

Stay away from any thing oil free I'm sure you have tried and didn't work.

Do all treatment before bed so your skin can rebuild while u sleep 

http://biokorium.com

http://biokoriumskintv.com/

You have to learn to control the waxes, and trick the skin into working more normal. If you dry the skin out it will only make more oil. Oatmeal Mask:  Say yes to oats! Your favorite morning  bowl of oatmeal also doubles as your weekly facial mask or daily light scrub.  Oats and  milk are a great combo for oily skin. as Oats dry on the face they suck all the oil gently off .  I have my clients blend 2 cups dry oats.  Store  in freezer.  When needed Mix equal parts oats and  milk, buttermilk, or yogurt. Let rest on face 15 to 20 min. Remove gently with cool wet towel.  Then apply a good dose of Moisturiser  your face should feel wet.  I have my clients use Skinwater  from Biokorium.

beautyfromnyc
2 years, 8 months ago

if you use or plan to use anti-aging creams and wrinkle creams, id suggest checking out "http://www.DocsWrinkleCreamReview.org". Very informative website which compares & reviews these creams & their ingredients. pretty neat stuff, if anyone has any other websites that do similar reviews, please share! the more information we have the better buying decision we can all make.

beautyfromnyc
2 years, 8 months ago

if you use or plan to use anti-aging creams and wrinkle creams, id suggest checking out "http://www.DocsWrinkleCreamReview.org". Very informative website which compares & reviews these creams & their ingredients. pretty neat stuff, if anyone has any other websites that do similar reviews, please share! the more information we have the better buying decision we can all make.

kaila_smith
2 years, 8 months ago
Oily skin :(

I too have oily skin (ick!). What I do is:

1. Use all oil-free products- facewash, moisturizer,  toner, makeup remover, makeup- the whole kit n kaboodle!

2. Carry around oil-blotting strips to soak up the excess.

3. I wash my face last in the shower. Conditioner clogs up pores on and around you hairline, as well as cheeks. Rinsing it out after you wash your face defeats the purpose of washing your face in the first place.

4. Wash my hands everytime I use lotion. I don't want the oils from lotion getting tracked back onto my facial skin.

5. Make sure you actually are moisturizing. Not moisturizing causes your skin to overcompensate and produce more oil.

That's my routine. Hope this helps!

-K

LipglossandSpandex
BLOGGER
1 year, 10 months ago

There are a LOT of great suggestions in the comments! I also have really oily skin. Finding the right cleanser is important, but what really helps my skin is finding the right primer, moisturizer, foundation, and powder. I love MAC's Prep+Prime primer, their Oil-Control Moisturizer, ProLongwear foundation, and Blot powder.

Welcome to TotalBeauty.com!
Ready to unleash your inner beauty junkie? Enter your email and check the boxes below to get free samples, exclusive deals, discounts at Total Beauty Shops, and expert beauty tips delivered straight to your inbox!
Email to a friend