Home » Community » Message Boards » » Isn't shampoo just shampoo?

Discussion

Isn't shampoo just shampoo?

We just got this reader question in and I thought I'd get one of our beauty editors to answer it. 

"Will changing the kind of shampoo I use affect how my curls turn out?  Isn't shampoo just shampoo."

Subscribe
Notifiy me with emails too

2 Replies

JanieTB
insider
3 years ago
Re: Isn't shampoo just shampoo?

Good question!

According to the book "Can You Get Hooked on Lip Balm?" by the creators of TheBeautyBrains.com, there are 4 main types of shampoos out there:
- Deep cleansing champoos (volumizing, clarifying, balancing, oil control, thickening)
- Conditioning shampoos (moisturizing, 2-in-1, anti-frizz, strengthening, colo care, straightening, hydrating)
- Baby shampoos (kids and tear-free)
- Anti-dandruff shampoo (anti-itch, flake control and dry scalp)

So depending on your hair type, you'd want to find a shampoo from one of the above categories. If you have curly hair, you should probably be using a conditioning shampoo (curly hair tends to be dry). However, don't be fooled by "curling shampoos" that claim to have curling properties. The Beauty Brains says they usually don't have anything in them that actually make your hair curly. If they do, it's most likely a polymer, which would provide styling benefits ONLY if it wasn't rinsed out!

If you really want your curls to turn out more defined and glossy, get a good mousse or styling cream to acheive this in the styling process instead of the shower. Hope this helps!

PauletteK
insider
3 years ago
Curly Hair

I came across a web site called Mixed Chicks.  The name is because they are two bi-racial women who had unmanageable curly hair.  I have a curly perm on short Afro-American hair and I used their products.  My hair comes out curlier and shinier than before.  The shampoo, deep condition, and leave-in conditioner are all you need.  The bottles are big and last a long time.  The best thing is they have a sample of all three for .99, plus s&h.  And they are on YouTube.  MixedChicks.com Kiss

Welcome to TotalBeauty.com!
Ready to unleash your inner beauty junkie? Enter your email and check the boxes below to get free samples, exclusive deals, discounts at Total Beauty Shops, and expert beauty tips delivered straight to your inbox!
Email to a friend