Home » Community » Message Boards » Skin Central » ingrown hairs/bumps/chicken legs..my routine+advice?

Discussion

ingrown hairs/bumps/chicken legs..my routine+advice?

I wax (every 4 weeks) and I'm prone to ingrown hairs and bumps and red marks on my legs. My mother has this problem as well. I use to just use a mild exfoliator only once a week, and a moisturizing shower gel. No moisturizer after showering (lazy teenager...ha) 

I've done some research and I'm pretty sure they are ingrown hairs? since hairs grow out of the little bumps. They're sort of like skin coloured bumps like clogged pores except they're... just different. It's hard to explain. I also have light red dots on my lower calf/ankle area. Yup, chicken skin syndrome. Generally bumpy/uneven legs.. nice! 

but anyways, I've decided to do this as my bodycare routine. any help/advice would be appreciated. 

- exfoliate every other day with a sugar, oil, honey+lemon scrub 
- after shower, use Paula's Choice Weightless Body Treatment with 2% Beta Hydroxy Acid 
- moisturize with baby oil after the BHA 
- at night, put on Paula's Choice Skin Revealing Body Lotion with 10% AHA, followed by Palmer's Cocoa Butter Formula 
- in the morning, just moisturize with Palmer's again but I might need to use an AHA or BHA then as well...help? 

Before I buy the Paula's choice products which are a leeetle pricy, do you think this would be a good routine? I've also already used the scrub (homemade) and the baby oil and it has made my skin a bit more radiant after one use.. which is a good sign I guess. Any other products/tips that would help would be greatly appreciated. 

THANK YOU! have a looovely day :)

Subscribe
Notifiy me with emails too

3 Replies

BPhussy
3 years ago
Same problem on my arms

I have the same problem on my arms.  I think it's heredity since a few of my cousins and aunties from my mother's side suffer from what we refer to as "chicken skin." My advice is to go easy on the chemicals.  I exfoliate in the shower by using a body scrub or a loofa. Right after I make sure to apply a super emollient moisturizer such as Cetaphil cream (that comes in a tub), or First Aid Beauty Ultra Repair Cream (available at Sephora, but a little pricey).  I like to use both, I switch it up from time to time depending on my mood.  I just make sure to use super hydrating and gentle creams.  The bumps have gotten better so long as I take care of them. You can still feel them when you smooth a hand over, but you can't really see them. The key thing is I focus on keeping the redness away so they are not as obvious. When it gets try the bumps are more prominent and red. I also used to pick at the little bumps which is a no-no.  It's pointless and leaves obvious scars that don't go away for quite some time. Just be patient, exfoilate and keep your skin moisturized so that it doesn't get any worse!

Supernaturalfan
insider
2 years, 11 months ago
Re: ingrown hairs/bumps/chicken legs..my routine+advice?

You could try something called Tend Skin.  I have the same problem, and this stuff will shrink the bumps and reduce the redness.  Sometimes ingrown hairs can get inflamed too.   The drawback to this stuff is it contains alcohol, so it's very drying. Tongue out You want to be sure your skin is dry & not damp before applying it.  Then, after it sinks in, you moisturize.

The stuff is meant for men too, since they can get ingrown hairs or razor bumps.  I keep reading in beauty magazines not to shave against the hair growth, because it can cause ingrown hairs.  But you get a closer shave that way!  Shaving in the direction it grows doesn't give the same results!

As for those red bumps, I have those too.  Tiny red dots or bumps, mostly on my arms though.  A couple near my hairline.  They are different from those ingrown hair bumps that get red, but I was told they are harmless.  I don't know what causes them or why some people have them.Undecided

millefeuille
2 years, 11 months ago
Re: ingrown hairs/bumps/chicken legs..my routine+advice?

Try brown sugar instead of regular sugar, because the regular sugar melt really fast. And since you must be very careful with lemon, you can try goat milk or regular milk instead. Then you can add some honey and some oil if you want.

I'm not sure if Paula's Choice products are really good. When I'm choosing for a product based on a certain ingredient, I expect this product is mostly based on that ingredient and doesn't contains loooots of other things because they won't work as they should. Paula's Choice AHAs and BHA contain more other ingredients than the AHAs or BHA you need. You can try Glytone Exfoliating Lotion Step 1, it is an AHA. My sister uses it and I used it several times too and it works lovely, also is quite gentle. The percentage of glycolic acid is 5%, but if you want something stronger, they also have step 2 and 3.

Avoid baby oil. Baby oil is just mineral oil and mineral oil is extracted from the petroleum. Surely you don't want to rub petroleum on your skin. Also, mineral oil is comedogenic. Try instead some fast absorbing oil like jojoba or sweet almond oil. And if you can, you can also try argan oil.

Don't use a very thick moisturizer to your skin because certainly can clog your pores, especially if you're waxing. An oil is certainly better than a moisturizer if you're having this problem.

Good luck!

Welcome to TotalBeauty.com!
Ready to unleash your inner beauty junkie? Enter your email and check the boxes below to get free samples, exclusive deals, discounts at Total Beauty Shops, and expert beauty tips delivered straight to your inbox!
Email to a friend