Home » Community » Message Boards » Everything Makeup » How to apply top eyeliner?

Discussion

How to apply top eyeliner?

Whenever I try there is alwayd a clear visable line between my eyelashes which looks bad. Ive tried applying with open and closed eyes, with my eye stretched toward my ear. Ive tried liquid and pencil. I personally like pencil better but, it never exactly looks presentable. Any tips?

Subscribe
Notifiy me with emails too

10 Replies

volta
elite
3 years ago
Re: How to apply top eyeliner?

Apply mascara before putting on liquid eyeliner. That not only helps with creating a good idea of where to put on the liner to best define your eyes, but it also acts as a filler. Also, I like to use UD pencils to inline under the top lashes. It gives your lashes a fuller look, but it also fills in some spots close to the lash line. You can also use an angled liner brush to fill in the spots.

I definitely recommend buying a really cheap liquid liner to practice so you don't waste the good stuff. It definitely takes a lot of practice!

BlackFleur145
allstar
3 years ago
Connect the dots

When applying top liner with pencil, liquid or a cream with a thin angeled brush, use small strokes or dots as close to the lash line as possible. Pulling the lid toward the eye is an awesome tip that I use as well.  Connect them afterwards. It will give you a good guide for keeping your line close to your lashline as well as the desired shape and width. Best of luck JennaGuru!

Tashaturnbaugh
2 years, 11 months ago

The best way is to smudge over it with an angled brush. Mary Kay has the best brush set that includes a powder, cheek, eye definer, eye crease, and eyeliner, eyebrow brush. It also comes in an awesome bag you can also fit your make up in. In its first year on the market in beat out the number one brush seller. check it out on my website at www.marykay.com/tturnbaugh

heena_shah
insider
2 years, 11 months ago
try it once

The best way to apply top eyeliner is keep your eyes half opened, then dip the tip of the thin brush into the liquid and then start applying it from the inner nose side to the outer edge withouht shaking or trembling your hands and eyes and its all done :)

kelly2011
2 years, 11 months ago

Here in this link http://www.free-makeup-tips.com/makeup/apply-eye-liner.htm you can find more details on how to apply eyeliner. Hope it will help you.

elizabethroman
insider
2 years, 8 months ago
RE: How to apply top eyeliner?

Practice makes perfect when it comes to mastering the art of lining your eyes, but it sounds like to me you just simply need to tight line your lash line. The way I tight line is by applying liquid liner first (cat eye look) and then I curl my lashes I do not apply mascara yet, then I grab a black pencil liner and fill in my lash line and in between my lashes and a little bit in my top water line as well.  It will instantly make your lashes look thicker when they’re really not.

Smile

taneisha_phillips
2 years, 8 months ago
Applying eyeliner

I would try buying a thicker liner because I use to have that problem in the beginning. Once I brought a thick liner, I would use one finger to pull the eyelid close to my ear and applied. I didn't have any problem. Simple, but it worked for me.creativebeautytips.com

PPolished
insider
2 years, 8 months ago

Don't use the pencil eyeliners, they are terrible and make me feel awful about my eyelining skills. I buy CoverGirl twist up eyeliner so it's a self-sharpening one. It goes on easy and you don't have to drag it across your eyelids. I keep my eyes open...I find if I close my eyes, that's when things get sloppy! It's just a matter of finding an eyeliner you like, so try a gel one or an easy gliding one like the CG I suggested.

juliaghostx3
2 years, 6 months ago

Well first, I'd like to say, My absolute favourite type of eyeliner, especially for the top, is Gel Eyeliner. Maybelline makes a really nice one. There are also a whole bunch of different types of eyeliner brushes. There is thin ones, small angled ones, thicker angled ones, and also like normal brush-like ones, I don't really know how to explain. Make sure your hand is really steady when applying top eyeliner. You should try out different brushes and stuff and see if one will help with the gap. Also you could like, after you do it, try to fill in the visible areas.

MileHighMakeup
insider
2 years, 6 months ago

Practice, Practice, Practice!  Try different types of eyeliners: liquid, gel, pencil, etc... and different types of applicators.   Different tips, different brushes... Play around with it. 

I find that stretching your eye to your ear can actually distort the line, until you know exactly how your skin lays and what type of line you want, try not to pull the skin. 

When applying, I would get as close to the the lash line as possible.  I don't mind getting most liners on the base of my lashes, but getting that close ensures even coverage and it will follow your natural lash line.  I would then add on to that line to make it thicker, to get a cat eye, etc.

I always start in the middle outwards and the go in to do the inner eye back to the middle.  Some time I have to use two types of liner, 1 for the inner eye and one for the outer eye.

I would also use a pencil liner to fill in the line under your eyelashes, to help you make the lash line fuller.

Hope this helps,

Mile High Makeup, <3

Welcome to TotalBeauty.com!
Ready to unleash your inner beauty junkie? Enter your email and check the boxes below to get free samples, exclusive deals, discounts at Total Beauty Shops, and expert beauty tips delivered straight to your inbox!
Email to a friend