Home » Community » Message Boards » All About Nails » My nails are thin and bend easily, what can I do to make them stronger amd...

Discussion

My nails are thin and bend easily, what can I do to make them stronger amd healthier?

My nails are thin, they rip and break easily. If I grow them out at all they ben and rip. What can I do to fix this painful problem?

Subscribe
Notifiy me with emails too

19 Replies

JeanC7
insider
2 years, 10 months ago
Re: My nails are thin and bend easily, what can I do to make them stronger amd healthier?

Collagen 1 and 3 are excellent for strong nails, beautiful hair, plumped skin, and even stronger bones. Its also great for joint pain or arthritis! I have taken NeoCell Super Collagen for two years now and turned many friends on to this  inexpensive beauty supplement.

kim_snyder
3 years ago
Hard as Nails Gel

I been testing out one by Sally Hansen Hard as Nails called Hard as Wraps because my nails do the same thing usually worse in the winter time. Its about oh I don't know 6 t0 8 dollars at the drugstore.

It puts a gel like wrap on your nails, so removing it takes time. But it does keep your nails stronger than usual. I pick it at CVS drugstore..

I mostly use Hard On Nails by BB Couture.. I found it to be the best nail strengthener I have used.

straycat239
insider
3 years ago
Try Sally Hansen Complete Care...

I have fragile nails also. Recently I started usingSally Hansen Complete Care Extra Moisturizing 4-1 Treatment and I have noticed a difference in the strength and health of my nails. I try to apply a couple of coats at first, and then every couple of days I add a coat. My nails have grown longer and stronger.

annatotalbeauty
insider
2 years, 9 months ago
Re: My nails are thin and bend easily, what can I do to make them stronger amd healthier?

Hi autumnfatale,

Here are a couple of things to try:

Celebrity nail artist Jenna Hipp recommends Orly Magnifique, $5.99: She says it is "Definitely a must-have for consistently beautiful and luminous nails. Not only does this refresh your nails, its formula works to make nails stronger."

Avoid products that contain sulfonamide or formaldehyde and keep nail polish remover use down to twice a month max. (Removers strip natural oil and moisture from your nails, which can cause them to separate, split and peel over time.)

According to Mayo Clinic experts, nails grow about 0.1 millimeter a day, which means that it takes a fingernail about four to six months to fully regenerate. Keep this in mind while trying new products.

Try taking B vitamins (including B6, B12 and folate), which help contribute to nail growth and strength.

If weak nails persist despite your best efforts, see your doctor as there may be a medical explanation such as protein deficiency.

NailProChick
2 years, 4 months ago

Biotin supplements help many people with weak and/or thin nails. Lots of great suggestions so far, best wishes!

Supernaturalfan
insider
2 years, 9 months ago

I use Sally Hansen's Nail Growth Protein.  It helps your nails grow faster and also is good at repairs.  Sometimes my nail breaks off in what I think you call the "bed".  It's the pink part, and it's PAINFUL!!!!!  YellWhen that happens, I cut the nail as short as possible so it won't "catch" on something.  Then, I file it down so it's smooth.

I follow that with at least one coat of this growth protein.  It protects the break from further irritation, helping it to grow back faster as well.

MaryTB
COMMUNITY MANAGER
2 years, 4 months ago
Re: Healthy Nails

It's a total bummer when you have nail problems, especially with the holidays coming up and lots of parties to throw/attend.

If you haven't yet, check out this article about the best nail products. It is super helpful! You can also find nail tips and nail advice in the "beauty advice" section of our site.

Good luck!

CaroleVonAllten
elite
3 years ago
Thin Nails that bend easily

Take Vitamin D plus calcium pills.  This strengthens nails and stimulates hair and nail growth.

GlitzyGal
2 years, 5 months ago

Hey Autumn, 

I just read an article on how to grow nails faster and it had some great tips...check it out...How to Grow Nails

I hope it helps!

RaraGiggles89
insider
2 years, 4 months ago
Rimmel Nail care!

I had the same problem for ages.

Firstly, I take vitamin and mineral supplements that are especially for hair, skin and nails (I was really taking them for the hair cos mine falls out ALOT!). I am sure u can get them in any good pharmacy, mine was called Perfectil

Also, I used this nail polish Rimmel do.. not 100% sure of the name but u just paint it on and let it do its magic! one good thing I found about it was that it paints on clear, no funny colours... although from the bottle it looks pink?  It really worked!

Hope this helps!

Good luck! Laughing

Welcome to TotalBeauty.com!
Ready to unleash your inner beauty junkie? Enter your email and check the boxes below to get free samples, exclusive deals, discounts at Total Beauty Shops, and expert beauty tips delivered straight to your inbox!
Email to a friend