Home » Community » Message Boards » Hair Help » Ask Your Most Pressing Colored Hair Questions Here and We'll Get an Expert to...

Discussion

Ask Your Most Pressing Colored Hair Questions Here and We'll Get an Expert to Answer Them.

Frustrated with growing roots, or color fading after a week? Ask us your most pressing colored hair here and we'll get an expert to answer them.

Subscribe
Notifiy me with emails too

9 Replies

aly7
elite
3 years, 1 month ago
Re: Ask Your Most Pressing Colored Hair Questions Here and We'll Get an Expert to Answer Them.

I color my hair. I dont do it often and it is not a shade lighter than my natural color. I dont flat iron my hair much ,and I use a hydrating shampoo and conditioner. I use a hair mask a few times a month and all the products I use(not too many) are healthy for my hair. But, my hair still seems a little dry. Suggestions?

Kirtastrophe
insider
3 years, 1 month ago
Orange?

In a highlighting mishap, my hair turned out bleached blonde with bits of orange in it. I've read a lot of ideas but no one seems to be able to decide on a product or method. Help?

crimsonshine
insider
3 years, 1 month ago
Re: Ask Your Most Pressing Colored Hair Questions Here and We'll Get an Expert to Answer Them.

@aly7: How about doing a home-made hair mask? There are so many suggestions on the internet, and also on totalbeauty (using avocado, olive oil, banana...) Also, perhaps you could try to eat more omega 3s? Or maybe taking a supplement for the hair? Phyto makes good ones. And always moisturize, moisturize, moisturize! You can never do that enough. Hope this helps a little bit!

crimsonshine
insider
3 years, 1 month ago
Re: Orange?

Have you tried going to a professional? When it comes to bleaching, things can get delicate at home...

If your color turns too dark you can wash it out to some extent with dish-washing liquid, but if it's too light then you're better off seeking pro help, I guess. Good luck!

ivyroflcopter
insider
2 years, 10 months ago

I bleach and dye my own hair, but I use semi permanent dye.  I can't seem to find the colors I want in permanent dyes.  I was wondering what could I do to make the semi-permanent colors last longer and stay strong for weeks.  I've got extremely long hair and I already do cold water washes.  :)  Thanks!

JanieTB
insider
2 years, 10 months ago

We talked to celebrity hairstylist Marco Pelusi to get expert tips and answers to your questions! We put them in a helpful Q&A format, hope this helps:

Q: I color my hair. I dont do it often and it is not a shade lighter than my natural color. I dont flat iron my hair much ,and I use a hydrating shampoo and conditioner. I use a hair mask a few times a month and all the products I use(not too many) are healthy for my hair. But, my hair still seems a little dry. Suggestions?

A: Condition, condition, condition! You can use whichever conditioner you use right now -- just leave it in longer when you're in the shower, don't rinse it out after a minute or two. You can do other things in the shower (ie: shave your legs) to keep it on a bit longer. Also, try a deep conditioning treatment like Marco Color Hydrate Conditioner or the Aloxi Treatment Mask to moisturizer your hair and also prevent pre-mature color fade.

Q: In a highlighting mishap, my hair turned out bleached blonde with bits of orange in it. I've read a lot of ideas but no one seems to be able to decide on a product or method. Help?

A
: I don't know what your natural hair color was or what product you used to get there, but generally a violet, purple or blue based shampoo or toner will immediately help balance it out. Try Shimmer Light, which you can find at the drugstore -- it's an easy and quick solution to kill the orange. If you're able to go to a professional, it's best to ask her opinion and even request the right product from them. Asking for lowlights will also help kill the orange, but don't try that at home, go to a pro for that.

Q: I bleach and dye my own hair, but I use semi permanent dye.  I can't seem to find the colors I want in permanent dyes.  I was wondering what could I do to make the semi-permanent colors last longer and stay strong for weeks.  I've got extremely long hair and I already do cold water washes.  :)  Thanks!

A: The best tip I have is to shampoo less. The less shampooing you do (ie: once a week), the better off you are. Also, always follow the manufacturer's instructions -- they should have some specific recommendations on there for semi-perm dye to last. Sometimes, adding heat to your color will help it last longer ONLY IF it is OK-ed by the manufacturer (ie: putting a plastic cap over your head and sitting under a heated dryer). You can always call them and make sure, but be sure to check first.

JanieTB
insider
2 years, 10 months ago

We talked to celebrity hairstylist Marco Pelusi to get expert tips and answers to your questions! We put them in a helpful Q&A format, hope this helps:

Q: I color my hair. I dont do it often and it is not a shade lighter than my natural color. I dont flat iron my hair much ,and I use a hydrating shampoo and conditioner. I use a hair mask a few times a month and all the products I use(not too many) are healthy for my hair. But, my hair still seems a little dry. Suggestions?

A: Condition, condition, condition! You can use whichever conditioner you use right now -- just leave it in longer when you're in the shower, don't rinse it out after a minute or two. You can do other things in the shower (ie: shave your legs) to keep it on a bit longer. Also, try a deep conditioning treatment like Marco Color Hydrate Conditioner or the Aloxi Treatment Mask to moisturizer your hair and also prevent pre-mature color fade.

Q: In a highlighting mishap, my hair turned out bleached blonde with bits of orange in it. I've read a lot of ideas but no one seems to be able to decide on a product or method. Help?

A: I don't know what your natural hair color was or what product you used to get there, but generally a violet, purple or blue based shampoo or toner will immediately help balance it out. Try Shimmer Light, which you can find at the drugstore -- it's an easy and quick solution to kill the orange. If you're able to go to a professional, it's best to ask her opinion and even request the right product from them. Asking for lowlights will also help kill the orange, but don't try that at home, go to a pro for that.

Q: I bleach and dye my own hair, but I use semi permanent dye.  I can't seem to find the colors I want in permanent dyes.  I was wondering what could I do to make the semi-permanent colors last longer and stay strong for weeks.  I've got extremely long hair and I already do cold water washes.  :)  Thanks!

A: The best tip I have is to shampoo less. The less shampooing you do (ie: once a week), the better off you are. Also, always follow the manufacturer's instructions -- they should have some specific recommendations on there for semi-perm dye to last. Sometimes, adding heat to your color will help it last longer ONLY IF it is OK-ed by the manufacturer (ie: putting a plastic cap over your head and sitting under a heated dryer). You can always call them and make sure, but be sure to check first.

JanieTB
insider
2 years, 10 months ago

A: I don't know what your natural hair color was or what product you used to get there, but generally a violet, purple or blue based shampoo or toner will immediately help balance it out. Try Shimmer Light, which you can find at the drugstore -- it's an easy and quick solution to kill the orange. If you're able to go to a professional, it's best to ask her opinion and even request the right product from them. Asking for lowlights will also help kill the orange, but don't try that at home, go to a pro for that.

mamaontherun
2 years, 10 months ago
Scalp Psoriasis and Highlights

I developed scalp psoriasis last holiday season.  I guess the stress from the holidays, 3 kids and law school got the best of me!  (Of course, along with my genetics!)  It seems that whenever I get my hair highlighted, my scalp psoriasis flares up.  I have it done at an Aveda School.  I have dark blonde hair and like the effects of bleach (Aveda calls it "Enlightener," I believe) without any color.  Is there a connection between the flare-ups and the highlights?  If so, is there a bleaching product or process I can ask for that may not be so irritating to my scalp?  Thank you!

Welcome to TotalBeauty.com!
Ready to unleash your inner beauty junkie? Enter your email and check the boxes below to get free samples, exclusive deals, discounts at Total Beauty Shops, and expert beauty tips delivered straight to your inbox!
Email to a friend