Home » Community » Message Boards » Hair Help » An End to the Split Ends

Discussion

An End to the Split Ends

Hi Everyone-

My hair is naturally curly and I often times straighten it (maybe once or twice a week). I know that no matter what, constant heat is damaging to hair - especially the ends. I always try and take precaution with heat protecting products when using a lot of heat i.e. straightener, blow-dryer, curling iron. 

I recently started using Nexxus Pro-Mend leave in treatment Creme and have found it to somewhat work. (How do you really know if a split end treatment REALLY works?) Can anyone suggest any other split end repair treatments that have been proven to work?? 

Another helpful tip my hair dresser told me is to use a comb when brushing wet hair right out of the shower. She expressed that the pulling from a brush (aka my paddle brush) splits ends easier. So far so good! 

Does anyone have any other tips to help prevent and treat split ends??

Subscribe
Notifiy me with emails too

7 Replies

TheBlond
insider
3 years, 1 month ago
RE: An End to the Split Ends

Thanks for the tip on the Nexxus creme DevranM. My hairdressers have always told me that there is no way to fix split ends...they need to be cut off. I think we all are all subject to them, no matter how good we are to our hair, so I'll have to give this creme a try!

crimsonshine
insider
3 years, 1 month ago
Re: An End to the Split Ends

As far as I know, you can't really repair split ends, but what you can do is seal them in with products that contain waxy substances which coat the hair and lessen the appearance of split ends. You have many options, Neutrogena Triple Moisture Mask is a product with very good reviews (never used it though), I also use a mask from Rene Furterer which is also anti-frizz, they have excellent products. So masks/ deep conditioning treatments are those which make hair appear healthier and eventually coat the hair to seal in the split ends. You are already taking steps in order to prevent the split ends to occur, and that's great. Since you have curly hair, I would also use a hydrating shampoo and conditioner, which make hair more manageable and minimize breakage, therefore minimizing splits. When you get out of the shower, pat the hair with a towel to remove the excess moisture, then comb through your hair with a wide-toothed comb (like your hairdresser told you) and then apply a hydrating product and your heat protecting product of choice. Your hair will be more manageable and your tools will cause less breakage :)

Oh and for a multitasking product (hydration and also heat protection), try this: 

http://www.kerastase-usa.com/_en/_us/reflection-fluide_chroma_riche.htm

It's a fantastic product, leaves your hair like liquid silk, smells fabulous and detangles really well. It's one of my favorite products (too bad they don't have it here on totalbeauty so I can review it).

Good luck!

toddfan
allstar
3 years, 1 month ago
Re: Split ends

Split ends are kind of like wrinkles. You can mask them,but, they're still there. With the exception of a regular trim. The hair is dead. The longer you use split end treatments the more daily damage is being done. I do love Nexxus!

JadaMiranda
insider
2 years, 8 months ago

When I started using the Omorovicza body oil on my hair, I noticed that I had less split ends than before.  I will try the creme you mentioned as well.

Coconutvanilla7
insider
2 years, 8 months ago
Re:

I just started using the Nexxus Pro-mend leave in overnight treatment and it did make my hair feel pretty good after I washed it the next day but it's too soon to know how great it works. I like the smell though =)

I heard about brushing wet hair with a comb but I've also heard not to brush wet hair at all. I have been blow drying it and then brushing it when it's dry. I have seen a pretty decent change in my split ends since then.

ladyboarder9669
elite
2 years, 8 months ago
I've been wanting to try nexus pro mend. Good to hear your thoughts on it.

jessicaviolett
allstar
10 months, 3 weeks ago

soak ends in warm olive oil over night super shiney, soft, strong hair

Welcome to TotalBeauty.com!
Ready to unleash your inner beauty junkie? Enter your email and check the boxes below to get free samples, exclusive deals, discounts at Total Beauty Shops, and expert beauty tips delivered straight to your inbox!
Email to a friend