Home » Community » Message Boards » Skin Central » Acne

Discussion

Acne

I've just recently within the last year or so started having real acne problems, both with whiteheads and cystic acne and I've tried AcneFree, Aveeno Blemish Control Cleanser and now I'm onto Murad. It doesn't really seem to be helping though. They all just dry my skin out and seem to make it worse. Anyone got any products that they used and loved and really helped? Are most medicated cleansers, creams and moisturizers supposed to make your skin worse before they make it better?

Subscribe
Notifiy me with emails too

12 Replies

TheBlond
insider
3 years, 1 month ago
RE: Acne

I had a big problem with acne, very similar to yours derosaB08, that started about 6 months ago when I went back on the pill. Like you, I tried multiple products lines, including Clinique and Dr Bryant, with no results. Then I heard about Philosophy and decided to try one of their kits along with a spot treatment and the results have been amazing. I have found all of their products to be gentle on my skin, yet effective. The kit I purchased isn't available anymore sadly but, if you are interested, I'd be happy to share more information on the products I am using.

aly7
elite
3 years, 1 month ago
Re: Acne

THIS IS MY ROUTINE!

Take off Eye Makeup

Wash with Neutrogena Pink Grapefruit Acne Face Wash

Moisturize with Clean and Clear Finishes Pore Perfecting Moistuizer SPF 15

Use Madgbs Boby Balm on dry areas.

Use Clean and Clear Advantage Mark Treatment on zits.....

crimsonshine
insider
3 years, 1 month ago

The only thing that helped in my case was regularly visiting an esthetician (at first once a week, then twice a month after my skin got better) for treatments. Of course, I also got some products, but they aren't the typical anti-acne products. They are very gentle and help the skin regulate itself so you get less pimples. I don't know if they are available in the USA though...the product name is Rosel Heim and comes from Germany. 

Either way, I can think you are tempted to use harsh products, but I think doing this will only dry out your skin and irritate it even more. Don't shy away from moisturizer either! It can help, even with acne-prone skin. If you have a good routine and treat your skin gently, it will eventually get better. And the deeply purifying treatments are a great relief - that way you don't have to pick at home. 

Oh and taking care what you eat is also a good idea, make sure to have plenty of fruit and vegetables in your diet :)

I wish you lots of luck!

jlp330
3 years, 1 month ago

Any time you change skin care products, it takes about 28 days on average for you skin to adjust. You should give each product ample time, I would say at least 2 months.  This may sound cliche but you are what you eat. Make sure your drinking lots of water and eating fresh veggies, lower if not eliminate sugars and fat.

I know its difficult and I struggled with adult acne for years. I was temped to try acutane. Thank goodness I came across something else first! Galvanic treatments work miracles with acne (along with aging too) You can go to a high end spa and get a galvanic facial, they cost about $100-$200 a treatment. Depending where you live. However, I found a little handheld device that uses galvanic currant, its a 5 minute facial you give yourself at home, twice a week. After two weeks of using it (total of 4 treatments) my skin cleared up! That was two years ago and Ive never miss a week since!

Hope this helps!

pynkNymphette
allstar
3 years ago
Spot Treating

Using natural products is good but once your acne clears up you have another battle to contend with: scars. This is what I am currently dealing with right now. I have started using Glytone Step 1 which is a Glycolic Acid treatment. It has been working WONDERS on getting rid of those pesky red dots! The thing to keep in mind about using acid is that you must SPOT TREAT. I wet the tip of my finger with some product and gently tap some onto a scar/pimple and try my best to avoid the surrounding skin. The first night I ever used Glycolic I went a little formula-happy and got some on unblemished skin and by morning I had a nice red spot there! I have these two blackheads that have been stuck in my skin for what feels like ages and this Glycolic treatment is finally getting rid of them too! Every day the my black crater seems to shrink a lttle bit more... Good luck on clearing up your skin and I hope I helped a little. :]

DestinySnyder
3 years ago
Unblemish Regime

http://www.destinysnyder.myranf.com/Shop/Unblemish

I use the Unblemish Regime by Dr. Rodan and Dr. Fields (the two dermatologists who created Proactiv). It has been a life saver for me, I usally have horrible skin but this product does wonders.

addkg777
allstar
2 years, 10 months ago
well

do you wear foundation? i noticed when i switched to a water based foundation, my skin felt so much nicer. i like to use at home diy facials

LipglossandSpandex
BLOGGER
2 years, 10 months ago
Accutane was my only cure.

See a physician. Yes, a lot of products with acne medication do have side effects. For some of them, you have to decide if the side effects are worth it.

Accutane had awful side effects, but it was worth it. My acne is now manageable. I use Clean & Clear makeup removing wipes, and then wash with bar soap afterwards. This really reduced the amount of cystic acne that I had after Accutane.

hollymackerel
insider
2 years, 10 months ago

I swear by prescription medication. Don't waste your money and go through countless systems that don't work, like I did. Go straight to your doctor about it! Mine told me that it's general knowledge in the physicians' world what combination of products work for most people (benzoyl peroxide, clindamycin phosphate, and tretinoin)*. I used to have it all: whiteheads, blackheads, red zits, and cystic acne. Sometimes, all at once -_- Then I got medicated, stuck with my prescriptions, and voila! Today, my cystic acne is totally gone, I only get a zit if I'm VERY stressed, and my blackheads and whiteheads are next-to-nothing.

Talk. about. a. life. saver. I started high school with bad acne and it wasn't a pretty picture (don't even get me started about the yearbook photo!). It helped my depression along, and I didn't want to go into school to face my classmates with a pizza face. I'm almost fully clear now, and happy as can be :) I'm not even afraid to show other how I look without makeup now, and that is a completely different change of pace for me, because makeup used to be my mask. It was the only thing I could manipulate well enough to keep myself in class. I wouldn't share this story if it wasn't true. Go see someone about your issues today!

*Benzoyl peroxide is easily found over-the-counter, but the other two will most likely require a prescription. Get yourself educated about these ingredients because there are so many clinical options! Oh, and read the information on this page for other things that will help improve your skincare routine: http://www.cosmeticscop.com/acne-and-acne-treatment.aspx

JadaMiranda
insider
2 years, 9 months ago

I recently started using Cyleina organic tomato soap and I must say, it really dried my pimples within two days.  It's amazing.  I bought it on ebay.  For my moisturizer, I use Omorovicza complexion brightener to whiten scars.  Salicylic acid toner as well is good.

Welcome to TotalBeauty.com!
Ready to unleash your inner beauty junkie? Enter your email and check the boxes below to get free samples, exclusive deals, discounts at Total Beauty Shops, and expert beauty tips delivered straight to your inbox!
Email to a friend