Home » Community » Message Boards » » How often should I wash my curly hair?

Discussion

How often should I wash my curly hair?

This question has been very popular among curly haired Total Beauty readers: "How often should I wash my curly hair? I'm afraid of drying it out."

I asked one of our beauty editors Audrey Fine to weigh in and share the scoop on this burning question for curly-haired gals.  

Subscribe
Notifiy me with emails too

1 Reply

WhitneyScott
insider
3 years, 2 months ago
Not every day!

Curly hair has a tendency to be dry - and shampooing it more than necessary will only make it worse. Once or twice a week (at most) is optimal for curly hair -- and, be sure to use a shampoo that's specifically formulated for curls to be sure you're tending to its specific needs.

If it skeeves you out not to at least wet it every day, go ahead - just don't wash it! It may be hard to get off the shampoo bottle at first, but just give it a shot you'll probably be pleasantly surprised. Many curl girls say their hair looks best on days 3 and 4!

(Get 11 tips for Gorgeous Curls)

Welcome to TotalBeauty.com!
Ready to unleash your inner beauty junkie? Enter your email and check the boxes below to get free samples, exclusive deals, discounts at Total Beauty Shops, and expert beauty tips delivered straight to your inbox!
Email to a friend