Home » Community » Message Boards » Ask an Expert » YOUR FAV HAIR PRODUCTS AND THE ORDER YOU SHOULD PUT THEM IN?

Discussion

YOUR FAV HAIR PRODUCTS AND THE ORDER YOU SHOULD PUT THEM IN?

I've been wondering this lately and ive never saw an answer for it in any beauty magazine, blog, etc. When you get out of the shower and wash your hair, if you use hair products (more than one) before styling your hair (wether you blow dry it or not), whats the order you put each product in or does it even matter? I use a leave in conditioner, volumizing mouse, anti-humidity smoothing milk, and a heat protective blow drying gel. I know it sounds like a lot of products but I have thick hair and a lot of it. So i always wonder if i should put the mouse in before the smoothing milk (vise versa). I know you should always put your leave in conditioner in first. Does anyone know? Also since I could probably open my own mini cvs with all the hair products (and makeup) I own, I was wondering what are your favorite hair products that work best for you? Here's a list of the ones I like and use

- Garniers sleek and shine leave in conditioner

- Tresemmes 24 Hour Body foaming mouse

- Garniers sleek and shine anti-humidity smoothing milk

- Tresemmes thermal creations, straightening gel or Christophe professional extra strength hair serum

- Redkens blown away heat protective gel 

Subscribe
Notifiy me with emails too

9 Replies

aly7
elite
3 years, 1 month ago
Garnier (almost) all the way!

1) Shampoo with Garnier Fructis Sleek and Shine

2) Condition with Garnier Fructis Color Care Cream Conditioner

3) Dandruff shampoo to avoid........flakes. (EW)

4) Comb hair

5) Use Great Clips Solutions Leave in Conditioner

6) Let hair air-dry.

7) Use Garnier Wonder Waves wave enhancement Spray

8) Straighten side bangs

9) Lock in Style with Garnier Bamboo Hairspray

scarrillo
insider
3 years, 1 month ago
Re: YOUR FAV HAIR PRODUCTS AND THE ORDER YOU SHOULD PUT THEM IN?

Hey Kellabella,

I was at Fashion Week last week and I watched a hairstylist mix gel with a leave-in treatment in her hands and put it on the model's hair all at once. She said it's a time saver to just mix the products ... sooo, to kind of answer your question I don't think the order makes a huge difference since it's all ending up in the same place. That said, she was only using two products, not 5 Smile Have you tried mixing up the order, or leaving out various products to see if you notice a difference?

aly7
elite
3 years, 1 month ago

Besides my shampoo and conditoner, I only use 3. Hairspray, wave enhancement, and a leave in conditioner OR gel.

kellabella
insider
3 years, 1 month ago
RE: @scarrillo & @aly

@scarrillo- first off, im so jealous you were at fashion week, that would be a dream come true lol. but anyway, I actually dont use all 5 of those products but those are the ones I noticed I dont really need the 24 hour volume mouse bc i have thick hair and a lot of it but I do need the leave in conditioner, smoothing milk or a serum (to prevent frizziness) and a heat protective spray since I have to blow dry my hair. If i dont it looks horrible. But i like that idea of mixing the products, i never thought about putting gel in my hair when im blow drying it. I'll use it if i decide to scrunch my hair to make it curly. Thanks for the tip Embarassed

@aly- lol i love garnier too! Your so lucky that all you have are those few steps after washing your hair. I wish!!! After i shampoo & condition, i put detangler in and comb it out,put in leave in conditoner,  then let it air dry for at least 20-min to a half hour before i blow dry it, then I put the rest of the products i'll use in, divide my hair into 3 sections and start blow drying, i use 2 different brushes; a vent brush and a huge round brush. then 30 min to 45 min later im done blow drying it, then i'll go over it with the flat iron real quick (not necessarily to straighten it but to smooth any frizzies or fly-aways). 

lol your probably tired from just reading all that 

aly7
elite
3 years, 1 month ago

Oh, belive me! There is more!!!! I have the thickest, curliest hair you will ever find! I just thought that I would shorten my hair routine so you did not get bored to death. But hey......you asked for it. LOL.

1) Shampoo with garnier sleek and shine

2) condition with garnier color care

3) shampoo with dandruff shampoo

4) comb hair and put in leave in conditioner

if I want a straight look

5) apply a straightening balm

6) blow dry or let air dry

7) use straightening balm

8) re-part

9) use a gel

10) use nutrition spray

11) brush

12)hairspray with Garnier bamboo hairspray

if i want my natural curls look

5) leave in conditioner

6) wave enhancement spray

7) comb

8) straighten side bangs

9) use Garnier bamboo hairspray

if i want slightly wavy hair

5) leave in conditioner

6) comb

7) put in messy braids

8) let air dry half-way

9) blow dry the braids

10) take out braids

11) finish blow drying

12) lock in style with garnier bamboo hairspray

Sorrry I had to put you thru that.....:)

kellabella
insider
3 years, 1 month ago
WOW GIRL!!!!

LOL, dont be sorry silly! I did want to know. Do you wash your hair everyday, (probably not, right) bc that sounds like it takes some time. It sounds like we have the same kind of hair EXCEPT for I dont have curly hair or really wavy hair. If i dont blow dry it, it doesnt dry straight but it doesnt dry into nice waves either, its more of a flat, bendy (not wavy) frizzy kinda look. lol

aly7
elite
3 years, 1 month ago

I color my hair so I only wash my hair about 3 times a week.

kellabella
insider
3 years, 1 month ago
ME TOO

Yea, I only have to wash my hair about 3 times, maybe 4 (if i have too much product in it) a week. Thats def one good thing about having thick hair, you dont have to wash it everyday

aly7
elite
3 years, 1 month ago

Yeah! My hair takes a good 3-4 hours to dry. So if I had to do that everyday I think I would shave my head! LOL

Welcome to TotalBeauty.com!
Ready to unleash your inner beauty junkie? Enter your email and check the boxes below to get free samples, exclusive deals, discounts at Total Beauty Shops, and expert beauty tips delivered straight to your inbox!
Email to a friend