Home » Community » Message Boards » Skin Central » RoC vs Olay

Discussion

RoC vs Olay

I'm soon to be 34 and have really started noticing fine lines, especially on my forehead and between my brows. I've done tons of research and have found that the best drug store products are Roc or Olay. I can't seem to make up my mind about which one is right for me. Is retinol too harsh for my skin? I use Proactiv for my mild acne (which has benzoyl peroxide). I have been using Clinique's Youth Surge for oily skin for about a year now, but honestly, I've noticed that I have gotten more fine lines with this product. I just want a good AND less expensive way to help reverse the first signs of aging. Any advice on either of these products would be appreciated!

Subscribe
Notifiy me with emails too

4 Replies

Supernaturalfan
insider
3 years, 1 month ago
Re: RoC vs Olay

Well, I'm 49 and started to notice those lines when I was your age!  LOL  Unfortunately, I didn't start taking better care of my skin until about 10 years ago.  Lazy I guess, plus denial.Tongue out

I use a lot of Olay products and do find them to make a difference.  But you have to use them for a few months and be patient, since they wouldn't be as strong as a prescription, esp. products with retinol in them.  For me, I use a retinol product by Neutrogena.  It's their healthy skin anti-wrinkle cream for night.  But I couldn't use it daily or even every other day.  It seems the retinol is too strong for me, as my skin started peeling way too much I thought.  So, it's twice a week for me on that.

I like Olay's Total Effects 7-1 anti-aging daily moisturizer, the Regenerist daily regenerating serum, Definity's Color Recapture, and Definity's Illuminating Eye Treatment.  I think those are all the Olay products I use for skin care, plus their Foaming Face Wash for Sensitive Skin.

BTW, both Roc and Neutrogena are owned by Johnson & Johnson, and I've read there is little difference among all their products & more likely they are almost the same product with different packaging & names.  LOL

I also use Neutrogena's Healthy Skin Enhancer foundation, which has some retinol in it.  I never used anything by Roc, but I have been using Neutrogena's products since high school.  Most of the products I've tried from them have been great.

Unlike you, I have dry skin, and I've read retinol can be too harsh to use during dry weather for this skin type, or if you're already prone to flaking due to weather or other reasons.  In that case, use retinol sparingly.

Supernaturalfan
insider
3 years, 1 month ago

Babiesandme, I forgot to say that (you've probably heard this many times already) that sun protection is essential!  The sun will give you even more lines and wrinkles, and it will make the ones you already have much more prominent!  So, protect your skin from the sun.  It is supposedly the best thing you can do to prevent more wrinkles!

Unfortunately, as a teen and in my 20's, I "worshipped" the sun and used not sunscreen but Coppertone DARK tanning oil!  I thought it was so important to get a great tan; we all did back then.  NOW, I have so much sun damage and I cringe when I think of what I did to my poor skin! Yell I'm really vigilant about the sun now. 

Oh, I also recently bought Olay's Regenerist Advanced Anti-Aging Daily Regenerating Cream Cleanser.  What a mouthful! LOL I got it to see if I like it better than Neutrogena's Pore-Refining Cleanser, and I do.

It took me about 3 months of using the Neutrogena Healthy Skin Anti-Wrinkle cream, but I swear I HAVE seen results on my forehead.  The lines are MUCH smoother and not so "deep".  So, it takes a lot of time.Cool

TracyTB
allstar
3 years, 1 month ago

Great advice. It's so good hearing first hand from others experiences. I haven't ventured into using Retinol products yet (I'm sure I will soon though), but here's a good 411 and product recommendations from our editors.  

TracyTB
allstar
3 years, 1 month ago

Great advice. It's so good hearing first hand from others experiences. I haven't ventured into using Retinol products yet (I'm sure I will soon though), but here's a good 411 and product recommendations from our editors.  

Welcome to TotalBeauty.com!
Ready to unleash your inner beauty junkie? Enter your email and check the boxes below to get free samples, exclusive deals, discounts at Total Beauty Shops, and expert beauty tips delivered straight to your inbox!
Email to a friend