Home » Community » Message Boards » Skin Central » Birth control pills, skin freak-out and Green Cream

Discussion

Birth control pills, skin freak-out and Green Cream

I stopped taking birth control pills about three months ago, and my face looks like a minefield. Major new underground-y welts nearly every day, along my jaw line, on my cheeks (NEVER had acne here before). Disaster.

A friend recommended Green Cream Level 3 -- it's a high-potency retinol cream. Supposed to use it once a week for four weeks, or every two or three days, depending on skin sensitivity.

Just wondering if anyone here has any experience with it -- warnings, raves, reviews, etc.

Or, any other recommendations? I considered going back on the Pill, but I really don't want to.

Subscribe
Notifiy me with emails too

2 Replies

Supernaturalfan
insider
3 years, 2 months ago
Re: Birth control pills, skin freak-out and Green Cream

I never heard of Green Cream Level 3, but I have used a Neutrogena product with retinol in it.  I'm sure it's not nearly as strong as that green stuff, but I found I couldn't use it every day.  My skin would just flake or peel too much.  Every other day would still give me flaking, so now it's just twice a week.  Retinol is supposed to help with lines & brown spots, so that's why I used it.  Is this Green Cream a prescription product?

I do know birth control pills can cause discolorations and spots, but I didn't know that stopping them can lead to acne.  I HAVE heard of them being prescribed to CONTROL acne or breakouts!  It's all so maddening.  LOL

TheBlond
insider
3 years, 1 month ago
Birth control pills, skin freak-out and Green Cream

I experienced the same skin freak out when I went back on the pill. I had cystic acne that was completely out of control on my jawline and chin. Needless to say, I quit the pill after 2 packs! I tried 3 different brand name regimines and Philosophy products finally ended up working for me in conjunction with a sulfur spot treatment. I use their Purity and Microdelivery exfolitating wash cleansers, Help Me retinol treatment, and Hope in a jar moisturizer. I think the exfoliating wash and retinol treatment are key. They also make a kit just for acne, which gets rave reviews, and uses a combination of salicylic acid and retinol. I decided to use a sulfur spot treatment instead because I read that salicylic acid treaments negatate retinol. Kate Sommerville's EridaKate has the highest level of sulfur I could find (10%) and it works great. I looked up the Green Cream and it doesn't tell you the strength of the retinol cream, but level 3 is most likely similar to Help Me, which can be used daily. Good luck to you! I took a few months before I got my skin back under control.

Welcome to TotalBeauty.com!
Ready to unleash your inner beauty junkie? Enter your email and check the boxes below to get free samples, exclusive deals, discounts at Total Beauty Shops, and expert beauty tips delivered straight to your inbox!
Email to a friend