Home » Community » Message Boards » » Do Shampoos and Conditioners Formulated for Colored Hair Really Work?

Discussion

Do Shampoos and Conditioners Formulated for Colored Hair Really Work?

Okay, this question has been really popular from readers lately.  Specifically, 

"Do the shampoos and conditioners that are specially formulated for color-treated hair really work any better at prolonging the life of the color than regular ones?"

I've asked one of our assitant editors Jane to weigh in on the issue.  

Subscribe
Notifiy me with emails too

9 Replies

aly7
elite
3 years, 2 months ago
Re: Do Shampoos and Conditioners Formulated for Colored Hair Really Work?

I have found that some DO NOT work at all. Others really do make a difference! My favorite conditioner is Garnier Fructis Color care Cream  Conditioner with acai berries and grapeseed oil. I dyed my hair in September and have not hadto dye it since because of  this stuff!

JanieTB
insider
3 years, 2 months ago

Well first of all, let's talk about what color-treated hair looks like. Every time you color your hair, you are applying chemicals to your hair cuticle, which penetrates through to the cortex -- damaging and drying out the structure of each hair strand. Not a pretty picture, right?

With that said, the MAIN benefit of shampoos and conditioners that are specifically designed for color-treated hair is to keep the hair hydrated. These products contain special moisturizers that help hydrate your damaged hair without stripping the color, and they help protect against any other external factors that might dry your hair out even more, like heat styling.

As for whether shampoos and conditioners formulated for colored hair will help prolong the life of the color? Most hair dyes are known to fade over time, and these products do help keep the color looking vibrant. But more importantly, you should be using products designed for color-treated hair to make sure it's getting the hydration it needs. Although -- if you're using a two-in-one product, the only advantage to that is saving time. Since color-treated hair demands moisture, a separate conditioner is vital for healthy-looking hair with vibrant color.

Hope this helps!

aly7
elite
3 years, 2 months ago

Thanks for the info. is it true that if you darken your hair, it is not damaging because the dye does not have any amonia in it?? Because it seems like when i went darker, it did not hurt my hair at all.

ladyboarder9669
elite
3 years, 2 months ago
Thanks for the tip! Hydration is def so so important for hair!

Cosette
3 years, 2 months ago
RE: Do Shampoos and Conditioners Formulated for Colored Hair Really Work?

If your shampoo for color treated hair is sulfate free, it will help you retain your color longer. 

TracyTB
allstar
3 years, 1 month ago

Hey Aly,

You're correct. If you go darker, there is no amonia in the product so it doesn't damage your hair (compared to if you were to go lighter). 

aly7
elite
3 years, 1 month ago

ok, I had heard this but never really knew if it was for sure acurrate:0

tiffanyevelyn
insider
3 years ago
Ammonia

Some dyes that are intended to darken hair have ammonia.  Odd misconception that they do not.  Read the box to avoid ammonia.  Sulfate free shampoo does help as well!

bundy
2 years, 10 months ago
Do Shampoos and Conditioners Formulated for Colored Hair Really Work?

I just recently had my hair colored for the 1st time in about a year.  My previous hair color was dark brown with about 30% grey, mostly around my face.  I had it colored at a Paul Mitchell salon, a color similar to the brown color with some subtle auburn added in.

My question is: while I was getting the color done, the stylist recommended their Color Protect Daily shampoo/conditioner.  In the past when I've colored my hair, I usually buy an OTC color protectant shampoo, like Pantene, Garnier, etc, rather than buy a more pricey salon brand.  I really don't want to have to get my hair colored again for at least 4 months or so, so I'd like this color to last as long as possible.  Do I really need to buy the more costly salon brand or is there a more reasonably priced brand I can buy?  Since I had my hair colored at a Paul Mitchell Salon School, the stylist said she didn't work on commission and I bought a sample pack of her recommended brand.  I know stylists tend to be brand loyal, especially when it's more money for the salon to sell their products, but I don't want to fall for a scare tactic.  Any help/answers would be appreciated.

Welcome to TotalBeauty.com!
Ready to unleash your inner beauty junkie? Enter your email and check the boxes below to get free samples, exclusive deals, discounts at Total Beauty Shops, and expert beauty tips delivered straight to your inbox!
Email to a friend