Home » Community » Message Boards » » Baking soda for teeth & hair

Discussion

Baking soda for teeth & hair

This isn't an actual recipe, but just old-fashioned uses for baking soda.

I recently ran out of toothpaste, but I don't feel like going to the store just for that.  I'd get it the next time I need to get other stuff too.

So, I used baking soda.  It doesn't taste as bad as you would think.  Mix enough water with about a teaspoon of soda to make it with a paste-like texture.  It makes your teeth feel cleaner than toothpaste in a way.  You can still use mouthwash before & after for a minty taste.  My mom told me this is what people did before they invented toothpaste.

It's also a great odor neutralizer for your hair, like to get cigarette smoke stink out.  Just sprinkle some on your brush and work it through.  Make sure you get out all the residue well, and your hair will be fresh again without having to take the trouble to wash & style it.Smile  But don't use it if you have color-treated hair, as it could fade the color. 

Subscribe
Notifiy me with emails too

8 Replies

toddfan
allstar
3 years, 1 month ago
Baking Soda

That is a good tip in a pinch. Be careful if you have sensitive gums.I can't even use toothpaste with baking soda in it. It makes my gums peel.Never thought about trying it in my hair.

Supernaturalfan
insider
3 years, 1 month ago
Use care with sensitive gums

Thanks for pointing out that baking soda may be too hard on sensitive gums.  For anyone with gums like that, as I personally have gums that are kind of sensitive, dilute the soda with a lot of water.  Then, just brush gently.  It is a lot more abrasive than toothpaste, so a little goes a long way in getting your teeth cleaned.  Works in a pinch, if you're tired, it's late, and you want to go to bed but you always brush your teeth first.....you see you can't squeeze anymore out of that tube.  LOLLaughing

TracyTB
allstar
3 years, 1 month ago
Re: Baking soda for teeth & hair

Is it just me or is baking soda really a wonder product? I've used it to make my own toothpaste, shampoo and even cleaning products for my home.

rozbie
insider
3 years, 1 month ago
Re: Baking soda for teeth & hair

I love mixing baking soda and water and use as shampoo. I can literally feel the gunk rinsing out of my hair. It feels so clean, and not stripped. I don't use it all the time, but when I know I might have extra build up it's perfect.

BPhussy
3 years ago
Baking soda for teeth

Hmm...this is so interesting and I still have yet to try this! I met someone who brushed their teeth with baking soda once a week. The reason that even came up was because my friends noticed how white her teeth were and she told us that brushing her teeth with baking soda once or twice a week keeps them white.  What a great reminder, I will have to try this!

rockgal911
insider
3 years ago
RE: Baking soda for teeth & hair

Baking soda is great if you want to whiten your teeth. I've never head of putting it in your hair before o_0

yourbestchoice
2 years, 12 months ago
AUTHENTIC JAPAN SOUSINON, MOST EFFECTIVE SAFE WEIGHT LOSS PRODUCTS

AUTHENTIC JAPAN SOUSINON, THE MOST EFFECTIVE AND SAFE WEIGHT LOSS PRODUCTS!

EACH ITEM WITH ITS VERIFICATION CODE TO DIFFER FROM THE FAKE ONE!

JUST CONTACT ME FOR PRICING AND DETAILS.

http://yourbestchoice123.en.ec21.com/

Caroline

Japan Xiushentang(Sousinon) International Co.,Ltd

Baihui Plaza, Yuexiu District, Guangzhou

0086-020-83274478

0086-18688448073

japansousinon@gmail.com

kim3108
insider
2 years, 11 months ago
Add some to your cleanser (face or house)

Sometimes I add a small amount to my cleanser, it is a great exfoliant. Since the particals are fine it is not harsh, I read that it balances your PH.

When I am out of an abbrasive house cleaner I add baking soda to whatever I am using. Use it for everything from your kitchen sick to your toilet!Wink

Welcome to TotalBeauty.com!
Ready to unleash your inner beauty junkie? Enter your email and check the boxes below to get free samples, exclusive deals, discounts at Total Beauty Shops, and expert beauty tips delivered straight to your inbox!
Email to a friend