Home » Community » Message Boards » Ask an Expert » Growing out hair

Discussion

Growing out hair

I am officially done getting my hair chemically straightened...I don't like putting my hair through that. I have decided to grow it out, and I've been reading that you're supposed to cut off all the chemically treated hair to "start over", or your hair will break off. How can I avoid doing that?

Subscribe
Notifiy me with emails too

2 Replies

LittleBunny
elite
3 years, 1 month ago
No reply?

Waaaaaaah. I figured more people than just me would want to know about this.

dawnrager
allstar
3 years, 1 month ago
Re: Growing out hair

I had to "grow out" a really bad perm once and like you, I didn't want to completely chop my hair off.  I recommend getting a good cut (and at least get an inch or two cut off to start).  Then, I would start heavily conditioning it (weekly).  Sally Beauty Supply has some really good ION packets with super strength conditioning which run around $.99 each (you can get them for a little less with the Sally Beauty Discount Card!).  I also recommend air drying your hair when you can and forgoe using any electric curling irons for a bit.  It will take some time to completely grow it out, but this would be a good start.  I recommend getting some layers, too, which will help to get rid of some of the dead and dry hair (and you can keep the layers longer for style).  Make a point to go for a good trim or cut (again) every 6 weeks or so.  A chin-length or shoulder-length type of bob might be a good start.  Good luck!

Dawn R.

Welcome to TotalBeauty.com!
Ready to unleash your inner beauty junkie? Enter your email and check the boxes below to get free samples, exclusive deals, discounts at Total Beauty Shops, and expert beauty tips delivered straight to your inbox!
Email to a friend