Home » Community » Message Boards » Ask an Expert » Makeup help! what am I doing wrong?

Discussion

Makeup help! what am I doing wrong?

Ok so i'm kinda pale and I am not a fan of liquid makeup, because it feels heavy, and powder because it makes me flake even if I use a moisturizer. however, I love the cream-to-powder makeups like CoverGirl Aquasmooth. I have some redness, especially on my chin and I was wondering if that makes your makeup look darker than it should? or does it mean you have the wrong shade? I have been using Aquasmooth off and on for a while (in Ivory) because there aren't many cream to powder makeups and Aquasmooth never broke me out...but i'm SO frustrated because it seems like no matter what type of makeup I use, even the lightest shade still seems dark! can someone help me out here? and are you supposed to use foundation on your neck to even everything out? because it seems like for most girls they stop at the jawline and it's enough that it looks natural and matches their neck. any help and tips would be really appreciated. thanks!!

Note: I always use a moisturizer (for sensitive skin) and apply primer before foundation

Subscribe
Notifiy me with emails too

2 Replies

makeupbyjanalyn
allstar
3 years, 2 months ago
I Hope This Helps!

Since your already using a primer, are you using one specifically for redness? If not, I would suggest the Smashbox Photo Finish Primer in 'Adjust' which will combat redness and even out your skintone.

Another suggestion would be to use a liquid concealer with a yellow base to hide those redspots before putting on your foundation. This will conceal red areas and help the foundation stay true to its color.

Another thing, your foundation might have the wrong undertone for your skin. If you have a cool undertone and your using a warm foundation, it could cause your foundation to come out darker. If your a warm undertone and your using a cool foundation, it will look ashy and grey.

If you dont like liquid foundations, you might want to also try either a tinted moisturizer or a mousse foundation. Laura Mercier Tinted Moisturizer and Maybellines Dream Mousse. Since you seem to have either dry or combination dry skin, a tinted moisturizer will help to hydrate your skin throughout the day and its very lightweight. Also, try using an exfoliator about 1-2 times a week so your skin doesnt flake and you remove all the dead skin.

As for the neck, I know some women that like to put foundation on their necks but its not necessary. Your foundation should be able to match your neck perfectly. If your neck has redness also, you could try a powder like Cliniques Redness Solutions or Smashbox Halo to tone down the redness so you dont have to put foundation on your neck.

I hope this helps a bit, let me know if it works!

aly7
elite
3 years, 2 months ago
Re: Makeup help! what am I doing wrong?

Dont put foundation on your neck, then you will feel like you have to go down even further and further..... remember no matter what you foundation you use, apply it ONLY were you need it! Dark under eye circles, zits, etc. That way your whole face wont be covered and you wont see the "line" between your face and neck:)

Welcome to TotalBeauty.com!
Ready to unleash your inner beauty junkie? Enter your email and check the boxes below to get free samples, exclusive deals, discounts at Total Beauty Shops, and expert beauty tips delivered straight to your inbox!
Email to a friend