Home » Community » Message Boards » Ask an Expert » Splurging a Bit on Make-Up: Is this a good start?

Discussion

Splurging a Bit on Make-Up: Is this a good start?

I'm coming into a little bit of money and so I decided to buy all new make-up. For the past few years, I've been using mostly Clinique products and I want to try something new. I just want some input on these products and maybe some suggestions so I don't end up wasting a lot of money. I added all of this up and it ends up at about $200 with shipping. I don't want to go much over that amount.

My Skin Type: Dry, prone to break-outs. I use facial moisturizer from Aveeno before I apply my make-up to counter the dry skin issue. My foundation products must be oil free and I like a lot of coverage, but I don't want to look like I have make-up caked on. I like to look natural. Oh, and the drugstore products I listed (I think there are four) are my effort not to spend a lot of money on something that I don't need to.

Products I'm Currently Using and I'm Keeping

Mascara: Maybelline The Falsies Mascara

Eyeliner (Top lid): Loreal Lineur Intense Liquid Eyeliner in Black

Products I Plan to Buy

Foundation: MAC Studio Fluid Fix

Concealer: Covergirl Invisible Concealer

Powder: MAC Sheer Powder

Blush: NARS Orgasm from Sephora

Eye Shadow: Color Scents Empty Pallette and Hot Pots (range from white to dark pinkish brown)

Eye Primer: Urban Decay Primer Potion

Eyeliner (waterline or lower lid): Loreal Extra Intense in black

Lips: Colorscience Lip Color in Blush

QUESTIONS

1. First of all, how do you feel about the products I chose?

2. How do I match my skin color to the MAC products? I use Shade 02 from the Clinique Perfectly Real foundation line. My guess is that I would be a NW25. Does that sound about right? (I'm asking because our mall doesn't have a Mac store/counter, so I have to buy it all online.)

3. Are make-up brushes necessary? I use one eyeshadow brush, a powder brush, and a blush brush that I got from Bare Essentials. I don't want to have to buy an expensive foundation brush unless it will make a huge difference.

4. Any other thoughts/suggestions are appreciated!

Thanks!

Lyndsey

Subscribe
Notifiy me with emails too

3 Replies

aly7
elite
3 years, 2 months ago
re Splurging a Bit on Make-Up: Is this a good start?

first of all, i would reccomend E.L.F.s Primer and Liner Sealer. It is cheaper than the Urban Decay one and it works extremely well. It is only $3 at www.eyeslipsface.com. And second of all, makeup brushes are necessary!! I used to just use whatever came in the product like the eye sponges or the mini brushes, but then i bought the E.L.F. 4 piece brush set, the eye shadow brush, the total face brush, and the bronzing brush and let me be living proof that your makeup will look and feel better!

JennaGuru
insider
3 years, 2 months ago
Re: Splurging a Bit on Make-Up: Is this a good start?

MAC foundation is amazing! But I suggest also buying a primer to help it stay longer! Smashbox Photo Finish is my choice:

Smashbox Photo Finish

As for matching skin color, since you cant go to a store, id make sure you can return it if its not the right skin color. Also, on the MAC website (maccosmetics.com) theres a live chat with consultants, you can ask them.

I love Falsies also! Nce choice :)

As for eyeshadows, ELF has 100 eyeshadows for 10 dollars! The have a wide range of colors too!

And eyeliner, My favorite makeup item :) Urban Decay 24/7 Glide-On pencil is AMAZING. It doesnt feel like a pencil, it feels creamy. Its perfect for your waterline and has amazing colors! Thats my choice:

Urban Decay 24/7 Glide-On Pencil

YES! Makeup brushes are neccisary! I suggest getting a set from ELF also. (eyeslipsface.com)

Good Luck!

Jenna

TracyTB
allstar
3 years, 2 months ago
Re: Splurging a Bit on Make-Up: Is this a good start?

I can only personally vouch for your NARS blush. I absolutely love it. It goes on so smoothly and doesn't really make you look like your wearing makeup, rather just look like a rosier version of you.

I also recommend purchasing makeup brushes. I'm a big fan of the Eco-Tools bamboo line. Super affordable, soft and available at Target.

Good luck!  

Welcome to TotalBeauty.com!
Ready to unleash your inner beauty junkie? Enter your email and check the boxes below to get free samples, exclusive deals, discounts at Total Beauty Shops, and expert beauty tips delivered straight to your inbox!
Email to a friend