Home » Community » Message Boards » » Please help! Need to revitalize my curls

Discussion

Please help! Need to revitalize my curls

As someone with thick, curly hair, I am always looking for curl products to help maintain my curls over time without making my hair hard/sticky. What kind of product should I use to revitalize my curls and make my hair softer? 

Subscribe
Notifiy me with emails too

7 Replies

empress151
3 years, 2 months ago
Re: Please help! Need to revitalize my curls

I also have thick curly hair and I only started liking my hair once I stopped washing the conditioner out after a shampoo. Curly hair needs moisture or it'll frizz (as I'm sure you know) and this is the best way I've found to keep my hair moisturized. It sounds bizarre and no one believes me until they try it and find out that it actually does work. Before you drop a lot of money on a product that may or may give you results, just try leaving your favorite conditioner in your hair after a shampoo and see if that gives you better curl definition and texture. Also, I've stopped using shampoos with sulfates in them and I've noticed a difference in my hair - it's a lot softer at the roots and my hair has more body to it.

Kristen_TBeditor
insider
3 years, 2 months ago
Maintaining gorgeous, soft curls

Saifai's recommendations are totally right on. When it comes to managing curly hair, you must start in the shower. The key is to use products that are designed for curls -- they contain more moisturizing ingredients than other formulas, which will help your curls keep their form and stay soft and managable. If you hair is very dry or damaged, definitely do a mask or leave-in treatment once a week as well. Again, look for one that's made for curls or at least is formulated for thick, dry hair.

Then, if you want to avoid the "crunch" often associated with many mousses and gels -- choose products like serums, creams or even mousse/cream hybrids. They will help control frizz and define curls, but leave your hair feeling soft. And always apply styling products right out of the shower, when hair is quite wet. You've got to tame that frizz and volume before it starts to rear its ugly head.

Styling is a big part of it too -- if you don't let hair air dry -- follow the tips listed in this How to Diffuse Your Curls Like a Pro story. Bottom line, touch your hair as little as possible to prevent frizz while styling.

sweetsour1981
insider
3 years, 2 months ago
RE: Help w/ curls!

tb 028.JPGI totally agree with everyone on this.  Definately start in the shower... expecially if you have oily hair, keep your shampoo away from your scalp. And if you have dry hair, keep your shampoo away from your ends.tb 023.JPG

I have very dry curls, these products work well for me..PANTENE & JOHN FRIEDA, Root Awakenings. I swap back and forth.  I also like Garnier. I use PANTENE, Damage Repair a couple times a month.

These are a few more products i stand by and totally recommend.

tb 027.JPGtb 026.JPG(left) 1.  SILK, hair serum, works wonders.   2.  JOHN FRIEDA, Frizz Ease leave in conditioner.   3.  JOHN FRIEDA, Frizz Ease Top Coat, keeps hair soft & shiney.   TIP:  Instead of spending all that money on leave-in conditioner, make your own.  Use your favorite conditioner and add water 1:4 ratio (you could probably go 1:3 ratio if your hair is super-dry) Put in a spray bottle and thats it.

(right) 1. Herbal Essense, spray gel. I have a lot of hair, so i use two different styling strenghths. One is a super hold, i use this on my roots. And, the other is a medium strength for my curls, bc  i dont want them to get stiff.  2. TRESemme styling Mousse.  I use this with my gel on my curls, for extra curl control.  ( i have A LOT of hair Innocent )

elisse
insider
2 years, 9 months ago
Using Ouidad products & salon for curls

I started using the Ouidad products recently, and then went and had a cut (and color) at a Ouidad certified Salon (with Ana at Tivon Salon in Blacksburg VA). Not cheap, but very good! This is the first time I've ever done anything specifically to enhance my wavy/curly, fine (& often frizzy) hair (every other fine salon has cut and blowdried it to sleek shinyness, which is elegant and lovely out of the salon, but high-maintenance at home, and I long for "wash and wear" hair, which means going with my natural waves & curls), and so far I like it. It is a very different cut & style from any other cut/styling I've ever had. I'm not totally "there" yet, still experimenting with a number of their products and ways to style my hair (and using the diffuser makes a BIG difference for me), but I really like the Ouidad products so far, and they seem to be working for me. Although you often use a Lot of product, my hair is never stiff from them, always soft and bouncy and shiny, and the styling techniques the stylist taught me are "doable" at home & easy- and I'm a big fan of "low maintenance" hair styling!

runee89
allstar
2 years, 8 months ago
Sulfate Free

I started using sulfate-free products which really helped keep frizz at bay & lessen damage. I also do a lot of conditioning: regular conditioner, deep conditioning treatment at least once a week, then a leave in conditioner. I love Aussie's deep conditioner & L'Oreal's entire sulfate-free line. I use frizz fighting serums & avoid heat styling my hair whenever possible. I really love serums from Chi, Redken, or Frizz-Ease. I also make sure my hair is dry before bed to avoid getting yucky knots or uneven texture & tie my hair up at night to avoid tangles. Trims are a must since curly hair tends to accumulate damage & dry out easier than straight hair.

saifai
insider
3 years, 2 months ago
Re: Please help! Need to revitalize my curls

With my own hair, I find using a clarifying shampoo to help remove product buildup is the first step. Something like CURLS Pure Curls Clarifying Shampoo might work. Next up, if your hair is in really rough shape, a deep conditioner or restoring treatment works wonders. I use Ojon Restorative Hair Treatment, but due to my oily hair I'm careful to steer clear of the hair closest to my scalp. Everyday though, no matter if I'm using any other styling products, I always smooth the hair with a serum. My current favorite is Aubrey Organics NuStyle Organic Hair Smoothing Serum. It tames the frizzies, and keeps my hair soft. Try looking through the products available at sites like CurlMart which feature all sorts of products dedicated just for keeping your curls looking great. Good luck with your hair!

toddfan
allstar
3 years, 2 months ago
Re: Curls

Just today I picked up TRESemme Curl Moisturizing shampoo and conditioner.My hair is naturally wavy.After using the shampoo and conditioner,my hair was soft, and full of body. I picked up the 32oz. size for 2.99 each. Very reasonable!

Welcome to TotalBeauty.com!
Ready to unleash your inner beauty junkie? Enter your email and check the boxes below to get free samples, exclusive deals, discounts at Total Beauty Shops, and expert beauty tips delivered straight to your inbox!
Email to a friend