Home » Community » Message Boards » Skin Central » Benzoyl Peroxide vs. Salicylic Acid for acne treatment?

Discussion

Benzoyl Peroxide vs. Salicylic Acid for acne treatment?

What ingredient is better for clearing acne? I dont really have a sensitive face. And my acne is mostly hormonal and a few pimples here and there.

-Jen

Subscribe
Notifiy me with emails too

19 Replies

JennaGuru
insider
3 years, 2 months ago
Re: Benzoyl Peroxide vs. Salicylic Acid for acne treatment?

Im currently using neautrogena oil free cleanser (The Orange One :D) But it doesnt seem to do anything for my acne, so i might switch to Phisoderm, (Its also a salicylic acid like the neautrogena one) But i might also try a Clinical Formula Pumice Cleanser which is benzoyl peroxide...

JennaGuru
insider
3 years, 2 months ago

Do you suggest a benzoyl peroxide cleanser? Because sometimes i get chemical burns wit the one i used.

amiee_belanger
3 years, 2 months ago

Ive had a lot of luck with the Clean and Clear Continous Control cleanser. Its 10% BP though so if thats to strong you can try the C&C advantage 3 in 1 exfoliating cleanser which is 5% BP.

aly7
elite
3 years, 2 months ago
I like salicylic acid better, but i dont think there is much difference,honestly.

Supernaturalfan
insider
3 years, 2 months ago

I've found salicyclic acid to be gentler but just as effective.  Benzoyl Peroxide made my skin burn and swell up.Surprised  Yeah, they do say it can do that, but I thought this was extreme.  I think it was called Oxy5; they make it in two concentrations, one 5% and one 10%.

I like Neutrogena's 3 in 1 acne treatment, it says something like "make acne one less stress."  Comes in a tube with orange and white labeling.

ambawag
3 years, 2 months ago
Re:Benzoyl Peroxide vs. Saliylic Acid for acne treatment?

I suggest you use a acne treatment with salicylic acid in it because it helps correct the abnormal desquamation process that occurs in acne-prone skin. It works as an exfoliant, promoting the sloughing away of dead skin cells. Its very helpful in treating acne because of its ability to penetrate the follicle, helping keep the pores clear of cellular debris. So, this way it reduces the number of pore blockages and breakouts on the skin.

Depending on your preference, begin by using either salicylic acid pads or a salicylic acid lotion, cream, or gel. Do not use both. Using several salicylic acid products will excessively dry the skin, and will not clear acne any faster. After the skin is sufficiently clear, a salicylic acid wash or scrub can often be used in place of gels or pads to maintain clear skin.

Continuous use of a salicylic acid product is necessary to obtain and maintain positive results. If you stop using your treatment product, the pores will again clog with excess oil and dead cells, and acne can return.  -Benzoyl peroxide is one of the most frequently used acne treatment medications as well it can increase dryness, peeling, or stinging.* SKINiD works wonders for me and I have combination to oily skin. Hope this helped! Smile

luisagenia
3 years, 2 months ago
Benzoyl Peroxide

If you have to use one of those two, definitely Benzoyl Peroxide. Salicyclic Acid is the same thing a beta hydroxy acid.

babiesandme
3 years, 1 month ago

I have never had any luck with salicylic acid when dealing with my mild acne. Benzoyl peroxide is the only thing that has ever cleared it up. I use Proactiv and have been for close to 7 years now and swear by it.

JadaMiranda
insider
3 years, 1 month ago

I use salicylic acid.  I find it more suitable and gentle on my skin.  Aside from clearing my face, it acts as an exfoliant as well.  The copper peel from omorovicza also works well on my skin. 

Welcome to TotalBeauty.com!
Ready to unleash your inner beauty junkie? Enter your email and check the boxes below to get free samples, exclusive deals, discounts at Total Beauty Shops, and expert beauty tips delivered straight to your inbox!
Email to a friend