Home » Community » Message Boards » » Thinking of dying my black hair to brown...? :)

Discussion

Thinking of dying my black hair to brown...? :)

Hi guys, I have black hair and thinking of dying it brown... well dark brown maybe, or just brown-ish.

The thing is I don't really want to do it with a permanent hair dye, does anyone know if it's possible to be done using a semi-permanent hair dye? Thanks before :D

Subscribe
Notifiy me with emails too

3 Replies

GlamOnGTR
3 years, 2 months ago
Semi-Permanant Dye to lighten black hair to brown

Hi!

I've had every hair colour under the sun. Just to give you an idea of where I'm coming from, I was a professional musician in the 80's and for years had at least 4 colours going on. My favorite was a bit of blond over three shades of red and a couple of brown. All in highlights and low lights! And, before I started doing all of that fun colouring, I first came to the woman, Katy, who would be my stylist and colourist for years with dyed, blue black hair (the last reminants of my punk days). Stripping that black was no small fete! But long gone are my days of personal sylists and such. Naturally (I think:), I have very dark auburn hair. The brown in my roots is very close to black. I have tried to lighten with a temporary dye, but with little luck. For me, the best result came from using a temp colour 2 shades lighter than what I wanted. Your result (sadly), will be subtle at best and far more temporary than it would be if you had lighter hair and were going darker. I'm assuming you just want to see how it will look before you commit. Is that true? If you're thinking of buying a box temporary dye, I suggest you find the colour you like and buy one that is two shades lighter, but just don't expect much of a clue! Black is not easy to work with. You MIGHT be able to find a brown from Manic Panic that's a temporary. They make all kinds of wild colours but also black. If you go to a beauty supply store (even Sally's), or a site, you might even find a hair spray of mousse that will give you an idea of how brown would work. I would NOT try to dye it myself, if I were you. REALLY! Not with black! And certainly not the first time. If money is an issue, see if there's a salon that uses hair models for cuts and colour. There are a lot o those here in San Francisco. There will be a top stylist watching and guiding every step. I'd far rather do that then go to a beauty school, but I know others who are fine with that. You might also consider having highlights done. If you hate it, your black colour will be a plus in getting it back to your natural shade. Good luck! I hope this helped! Just please, don't give a box permanant job at home. Okay?

claudiafabris
3 years, 2 months ago
Thank you!

OMG thank you so much for the suggestion! and yeah you were right, I was gonna try semi-permanent first to see how it looks lol :P will definitely follow your recommendations!!! :)

toddfan
allstar
3 years, 2 months ago
black hair to brown

Don't try that at home! I've tried to save money and do it myself. I have had pink hair twice! You end up spending a lot at a salon to fix it.

Welcome to TotalBeauty.com!
Ready to unleash your inner beauty junkie? Enter your email and check the boxes below to get free samples, exclusive deals, discounts at Total Beauty Shops, and expert beauty tips delivered straight to your inbox!
Email to a friend